Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looks as Though There Won't Be Any Baseball From Panini

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
At least not according to the Panini Rep I just spoke to. I asked her if there would be plans for any baseball card products for the remainder of this year or in the forseeable future. She said no.

But then again, she's just a customer rep so who knows for certain, really.

Still, I guess this means EEE, Prime Cuts and Contenders are now things of the past.

:evil:

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'm not really a prospector, but I was looking forward to another installment of Prime Cuts. Either way, I hate to say that I saw this coming. If nothing comes of 2009 baseball from Pannini, lets hope the drop a product or two in 2010.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
so does this positively or negatively affect the prices of the cards in those past releases? Could the fact that Contenders/Limited/Prime Cuts are more of a one-off now hurt the prices of the cards from those releases?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
so does this positively or negatively affect the prices of the cards in those past releases? Could the fact that Contenders/Limited/Prime Cuts are more of a one-off now hurt the prices of the cards from those releases?

I don't see how it can help them.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hive17 said:
Prime Cuts box price has gone up 60-80% since its release.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I dont mind the wait, that is "if" 2010 will have product. I would rather Panini get their first baseball product right and not rushed.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
I dont mind the wait, that is "if" 2010 will have product. I would rather Panini get their first baseball product right and not rushed.

Agreed.

And the there are a few factors I think are going to be put into play.

First is: If it was the intention of MLB to truly limit the marketplace so that only one single entity produced their official products. I'm not entirely clear that was their intent - and had more to do with "getting rid" of McWilliam and Powell; who I thought acted more like troublemakers rather than partners.

Second: If Panini does get a license, I'm 95% sure that the Donruss name is dead and will never be revived. Too much baggage that goes along with it, legally speaking. And that breaks my heart, since Donruss is my all-time favorite brand. <sigh>

Third and finally: I don't expect anything in 2010 - see first point. If it was MLB's intent - I think they're going to gauge the all-important sales figures to see if there's room for another licensee.

Lance ;-D

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
jbone17 said:
This actually good news. No Razor, and Donruss. This means that good players will now be in chrome and BDP next year.

How does it remotely mean that? You are forgetting Upper Deck.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I hope you enjoy the redundant rookie cards. If Topps has no competition the products will really suck. Heres to the next real Chaz Roe RC's
Jays_Cards said:
I am pretty happy about this news. 1st year chrome or bust now.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
chashawk said:
hive17 said:
Prime Cuts box price has gone up 60-80% since its release.
Yes they have but I loved my pull earlier this year
scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
jcmint said:
I hope you enjoy the redundant rookie cards. If Topps has no competition the products will really suck. Heres to the next real Chaz Roe RC's
Jays_Cards said:
I am pretty happy about this news. 1st year chrome or bust now.

I dont bust wax so redundant rookies mean nothing to me. As long as the best young stars dont have 19 rookie cards, I am happy.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
hmm. Seems to be in conflict with what they said at the National if I am not mistaken.
They specifically said on audio that they would be releasing a full baseball line, but that was before UD got the college license.

Members online

Latest posts