Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps "1/1" rant...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I know many people were wondering why these Update Sketch cards didn't have the Topps 1/1 stickers on the back....

ToppsSketch.jpg

Just got the second one in the mail today. It is kind of disturbing to see Topps ruin sketch cards like this. People used to see a sketch card and automatically know that it is a 1/1, but that's OK since Topps is completely ruining the 1/1 anyway. People blame Donruss, but at least they only made one of each 1/1. You see, I also picked up the 4th and hopefully final "1/1" in this set:

notcool.jpg

In my humble opinion, this isn't cool. I have close to 200 1/1's in my player collections, so you know, I kind of liked it when people knew there was only one made.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
and the hits keep coming for Topps.

That is Busch League. The Red Refractor issue with that Twins prospect was the worst...8-10 Red refractors /5???

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
I don't like how many Topps 1/1s don't have the sticker on the back. I have a Peavy printing plate with no sticker and I have this in my Greene PC:

2008AllenGinterWoodMini.jpg

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Anthony said:
I don't like how many Topps 1/1s don't have the sticker on the back. I have a Peavy printing plate with no sticker and I have this in my Greene PC:

wow, were all of the woods hand #'d? I have always lost on those auctions, so I don't have 1. That's the hard part about collecting scrubs, when they have a nice logoman or wood card, the prices are so high and all this strange competition I've never seen before comes out of the woodwork. And I lose. :x lol

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
RL24 said:
Anthony said:

wow, were all of the woods hand #'d? I have always lost on those auctions, so I don't have 1. That's the hard part about collecting scrubs, when they have a nice logoman or wood card, the prices are so high and all this strange competition I've never seen before comes out of the woodwork. And I lose. :x lol

c.c. isnt a scrub.

A_Pharis

I hate Topps for their shadiness as much as the next guy, but I don't know that you can really BLAME Topps for the sketch... it looks like the artist got lazy and decided to start drawing dupes. Now, Topps should have seen it when he returned them and went after him for another commissioned piece, but I think those sketches are far below scale anyway.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
If I would have won the Tulowitzki A&G wood 1/1 for $200+ and got it in with a bic pen hand written 1/1 on the back...I would have been hot.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
I know many people were wondering why these Update Sketch cards didn't have the Topps 1/1 stickers on the back....

ToppsSketch.jpg

Well if you look they do have subtle differences.... so technically... they are seperate 1/1s. Its no different than different color foil... border color... jersey added... or auto added.

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
I feel your pain Ryan, I am just glad Ozzie isn't in M&M. Sterling was enough for me lol

p.s. good to see you make it over here!

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
RL24 said:

ToppsSketch.jpg

Well if you look they do have subtle differences.... so technically... they are seperate 1/1s. Its no different than different color foil... border color... jersey added... or auto added.

IMO there is a difference...the subtle differences in identical sketches are WAY different the the examples you gave. Topps should do a better job of quality control.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Adamsince1981 said:
If I would have won the Tulowitzki A&G wood 1/1 for $200+ and got it in with a bic pen hand written 1/1 on the back...I would have been hot.

that is the REASON i did not bid on the miggy wood "1/1"

not only no sticker, but the guy hafd a scan of the back and it was not even numbered 1/1 with a bic pen

nothing saying 1/1

i asked the seller and he said he really did not know either, said maybe cuz it was the extended wood mini

either way BOOOO

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
These are not 1/1's BUT
MMs.jpg

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
miguelcabrera said:
Adamsince1981 said:

that is the REASON i did not bid on the miggy wood "1/1"

not only no sticker, but the guy hafd a scan of the back and it was not even numbered 1/1 with a bic pen

nothing saying 1/1

i asked the seller and he said he really did not know either, said maybe cuz it was the extended wood mini

either way BOOOO

why would that stop you from buying it?

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
m&m has way to many 1/1's to think about. if im not mistaken each card has several parelells. correct me if im wrong but the means for example, if they are tracking clemens 354 wins, thats 354 red 1/1's. some looking alike. and each of those has plates. maybe not everyone, but multiples. that is a little crazy

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
abncollectsautos said:
m&m has way to many 1/1's to think about. if im not mistaken each card has several parelells. correct me if im wrong but the means for example, if they are tracking clemens 354 wins, thats 354 red 1/1's. some looking alike. and each of those has plates. maybe not everyone, but multiples. that is a little crazy

Yep, there are 4 1/1 plates for every color. I have 2 of the same grandersons. I think both yellow.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
I lost out on two others with the same numbering on eBay. They were from 2 different sellers at the same time. I wanted to own them so I could contact Topps about it. I could care less about the guy, but I wanted to see if they would do anything about it.

Buckner110MM.jpg

Members online

Latest posts