Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need opinions on a Mantle auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
I've had this auto'd 8x10 for about 12 or so years now. My mom got it for me one Christmas when I was younger. I've always wondered about it's authenticity, since I remember the shop she bought it from was kinda sketchy, and have lately been thinking about sending it in to PSA to get their opinion on it. But before I spend the money to do that, I figured I'd get the opinions of everybody here first. Here is a close up shot of the auto.
024.jpg
Real? Fake? What do you think?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
the fakes look exactly like the real thing, id get jsa to look at it in person. The time frame when you got it would be from the same time when Greg Marino was flooding the market with all his fake Mantles.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
IMO, it is no good. <cue comments about how I'm negative and how "all autos" must be fake>

I say IMO, but let me go further to say, in my strong opinion. A lot of over-exagerations in the signature.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
That is an authentic Mantle signature.

Looks nothing like the ones Marino was pumping out.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
G $MONEY$ said:
the fakes look exactly like the real thing, id get jsa to look at it in person. The time frame when you got it would be from the same time when Greg Marino was flooding the market with all his fake Mantles.

This is the best answer here.

The fakes were so good that it had many (who thought they knew which were real and which were fake) fooled. If you do some research you'll read about this and how Mantle autos are/were the most forged.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
i dont know if its authtic of not but i have never sen mickey and mantle not on the same line

ie Mickey Mantle is how most are

never have i seen

mickey
mantle

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
2 parts of the signature to me make it questionable.

On both M's the loop on the bottom. Normally there is no open space in the bottom of the M.

On the M in Mantle, there is a curve over like where the signer started to make the M. Mantles don't have this curve over.

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
I stand by opinion 100%. If you get it authenticated and it comes back questionable, than feel free to unleash on me :D

Post it on the bay and send for a quick opinion, cheapest and fastest way to do it.

Most fake Mantles are easily identifiable by scan or pic.

Here is a Greg Marino forgery of Mantle

mantle.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Mark, I don't think it's a Marino signature...though the example you show doesn't showcase how good he really got. At the same time, I don't think it's a Mantle signature either.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
gregbara said:

On both M's the loop on the bottom. Normally there is no open space in the bottom of the M.

On the M in Mantle, there is a curve over like where the signer started to make the M. Mantles don't have this curve over.

These are what I mean by over-exagerations...too many bleeds and extra "curls" in the signature. The "l" in Mantle has issues too...whomever wrote it took time to adjust the angle of the flow.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
BunchOBull said:
gregbara said:

These are what I mean by over-exagerations...too many bleeds and extra "curls" in the signature. The "l" in Mantle has issues too...whomever wrote it took time to adjust the angle of the flow.

I agree on the L as well. Also on the crossing of the T, where it hits the L we are talking about. I don't think I've ever seen the cross of the T hit the L.

One from my collection:
MICKEYMANTLE-2.jpg

phxsunsfan

Aug 13, 2008
colts1888 said:
i dont know if its authtic of not but i have never sen mickey and mantle not on the same line

ie Mickey Mantle is how most are

never have i seen

mickey
mantle

Well he did it at least 500 times (see sig) :)

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
csmtampa said:
I stand by opinion 100%. If you get it authenticated and it comes back questionable, than feel free to unleash on me :D

Post it on the bay and send for a quick opinion, cheapest and fastest way to do it.

mantle.jpg
How do I go about doing the quick opinion? And what is it exactly?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
WNP22 said:
csmtampa said:

mantle.jpg
How do I go about doing the quick opinion? And what is it exactly?

all your questions will be answered here...

http://www.psadna.com/QuickOpinion/

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
I sent it in for the quick opinion. Thanks you G $MONEY$. I'll let yall know what they say.

Latest posts