Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Printing capability question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I hear people saying...

"They just can't print inserts like that anymore because the printer doesn't exist" etc.

How is this possible? People can't replicate the technology? Just doesn't make sense to me.

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
Just because it is theoretically possible, doesn't mean it makes sense from a business perspective.

Yes, it was done in the past, but if that printer doesn't do it anymore - is it worthwhile for another printer to invest in the technology to print a few thousand cards a year? When Dufex was king, print runs were much higher overall.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
It has nothing to do with the printing technology and everything to do with the card companies and their contracts with printing companies.

If card companies would be willing to split up the print run, printing some inserts at different printing companies they would have a lot more flexibility.

As it is now, the printing companies definitely cater to the specific needs of the card companies as requested...so talk to the manufacturers.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Less setups and types of cards, less cost to the company. They would have to use different printers and printer companies, causing a significant increase in cost.

marterburn

not that I know for certain, but I bet they have "preferred vendors". A certain number of vendors get to compete for printing a certain set printed on a certain card stock. And they're probably not allowed to outsource if the presses are booked...Topps seems like they'd be picky like that.

That's probably why they're limited in the number of technologies they use in their products.

UD doesn't really have any special printing procceses, do they? Spectrum and a few others is just on stock rainbow foil board, i think. Elements had some foil etching, but that was years ago.

Companies are just getting lazy with the print pocesses they use. I work for a printer (but by no means am i an expert on print, i just design the displays we do), and we recently had someone pitch to us a foil substrait that has different foil patterns wherever you want it according to your print images. It's cool stuff, just too bad companies appear to be taking a step back from that.

/rant.

edit, oh, if you want to see an example of the foil stuff, go into Toys R Us later this month (I think Nov 15, not sure really). There will be an area of merchandise with New Moon stuff. check out the Header with the 3 characters.

Razor

Apr 1, 2009
In my opinion, many of these technologies make the cost of printing a single insert card greater than that of making a jersey card. Today, I think many collectors would prefer the technology. BUT, a large amount casual fans still like pulling jersey cards at retail level.

If you make technology priority, customers complain about lack of "hits"
If you load with hits, customers complain there are too many "hits".
Tough call for the manufacturer.

MOO-BG

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Do patents apply here? I know on the back of the Crusades on the bottom right, the words "patent pending" appear. The same thing with refractors.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Philip J. Fry said:
Do patents apply here? I know on the back of the Crusades on the bottom right, the words "patent pending" appear. The same thing with refractors.
From what I've read in other threads, I believe the Crusades printer is physically out of business.
I would guess the mfgs would have to weigh the cost of acquiring/replicating the machines vs. potential profit.

I would think the mfgs would be exploring every avenue possible to increase sales/profit.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Razor said:
In my opinion, many of these technologies make the cost of printing a single insert card greater than that of making a jersey card. Today, I think many collectors would prefer the technology. BUT, a large amount casual fans still like pulling jersey cards at retail level.

MOO-BG

Its funny. At shows, a huge portion of the audience crowds around GU cards. The forum doesn't seem to think much of them but kids and newer collectors think they are great

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
mredsox89 said:
Razor said:

MOO-BG

Its funny. At shows, a huge portion of the audience crowds around GU cards. The forum doesn't seem to think much of them but kids and newer collectors think they are great
I love the inserts and parallels I have, but the discovery by me of g/u and autos is def. what brought me back last year.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
All I can say is that after the MLB Showdown phase, i stuck in the hobby for a while with boxes with high rates of GU and a slight chance at autos. The overall value sucked as I learned once I started using ebay, but it was fun. I took a break from 03-06 until i discovered the BMB and started to collect prospects

Members online

Latest posts