Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions on $1K+ Sterling Musial logo patch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
The Musial patch pictured below just ended for a whopping $1070. The awesomeness of the logo makes you think it's fake, but just because it looks fake doesn't mean it is. So, where is it from? It looks exactly like the 1967 World Series patch, except the background is dark instead of white. Also, Musial never wore this patch. World Series patches were not worn until 1987, and at that time patches were created for earlier World Series to sell to the collector. Musial was retired in '67, but I don't know if he came back as a coach or not. Was the design based upon an earlier patch that was actually worn? I have pictures of game-used Cardinals jerseys from '54, '55, '58 and '63 (Musial played from '41-'63) and none of them feature any patches on the shoulder, just the regular Cardinals logo on the front.

As far as I can remember, the only nice Musial patches in 2008 Sterling were from the laundry tag and cursive stitching of his name. All of the others featured trim, and not number or logo patches. If anyone has any other info they'd like to add, I'm interested in hearing it.

2009-11-08StanMusial.jpg

1967.jpg

Problem lies with the definition of "game worn". If Musial ever attended an "old timers day" or some sort of ceremony at the stadium and wore a new "old" jersey its considered "game worn". I learned this following up on a Seaver jersey w/ Topps. For an example when Seaver took part in the closing of Shea Stadium with many other stars of Mets past they were all given jerseys to wear that reflected the type they wore in their playing days. Since it was a MLB ceremony the jerseys are considered "game worn". So if you try to compare material, colors, etc.. to patches of the 60's and 70's they dont match up. Not saying this is what happened here but a possible lead.......

Members online

Latest posts