Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeter named SI Sportsman of the Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
bigalexx said:
Usain Bolt?
The award is not only about being a great athlete.
It's about sportsmanship and being a role model.
Bolt's bravado and arrogance on the track probably hurt him, despite the good he's done for Jamaica.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I have no probelm with this selection, though it would have been very interesting if Tiger had been selected. Tiger had a great comeback year but without a win in a major he was likley not in the running.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
Love it!

I may have gone into this rant before. Quickly...

I really came to appreciate Derek Jeter sometime between last year and this year. I always appreciated him, but I think I'm finally starting to realize how special he is.

Aside from Mattingly, I've always been one to seek out a "different" favorite player than the majority. It just always seemed too easy to have Jeter be my favorite player, so over the years I had a slew of other "Current favorites" from Brosius to Posada to Matsui to ****. In doing so, I think I kind of took Jeter for granted for while. He was so consistent, you knew what you were going to get from him making it easier to take him for granted. I always loved him, but he was never my favorite.

I think for the first time I can say Derek Jeter is my favorite current baseball player. Hats off to him. Well deserved!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
since when did "SI Sportsman of the Year" become "SI Sportsman of the Career"?

Jeter great career, there were others more deserving in 2009 of the award (even on the Yankees team). If you have to give it to a Yankee, I believe Teix or Fat 'bath would be it.

I personally wanted Jimmie Johnson.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Im surprised Tim Tebow didnt win seems like espn and SI are so far up his booty i would of thought he got it

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
andyduke86 said:
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
who cares what SI says, for them it's a great well to sell magazines in a bad economy

bingo
Yep, gotta milk the bandwagoners. Now the real question is would Jeter have won it if the Yankees had not won the championship? I bet he wouldn't have.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
bikerider60 said:
Jeter is the King of the game who else can be Named??????????

Albert Pujols is the king the game. He apparently also does good charity work. I suppose the Cards not winning the championship kept him from the SOY this year.

Jeter was just meh this year. He had better stats in the seasons of the Yankees late 90's WS runs. He was definitely named for his career work and the fact the Yanks took the title this year.

Members online

Latest posts