Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Miguel Cabrera Collection Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
In about a year and a few months of collecting, I have finally calculated all my miggy collection stats. Here is what I have for your viewing enjoyment.

7/7 (100%)- 3 autos

7/8 (87.5%)- 1 GU

8/13 (61.5%)

18/64 (28.1%)- 1 GU

60/733 (8.2%)- 6 autos, 2 GU, 3 1/1's

93/1125 (8.3%)- 10 autos, 7 GU, 2 1/1's

60/406 (14.8%)- 8 autos, 1 GU. 1 1/1

36/347 (10.4%)- 4 autos, 4 GU, 4 1/1's

55/443 (12.4%)- 5 GU, 3 autos, 6 1/1's

14/302 (4.6%)- 2 GU, 3 1/1's

Totals
358/3448 (10.4%)- 34 autos, 23 GU, 19 1/1's

I hope to focus on collecting more base and inserts, cheap GU over the next year so I can up my percentages. Let me know if you have any of these. thanks

Dec 10, 2008
As a fellow player collector, let me give some advice. I wouldn't worry about those base and "cheap" inserts now. If you have a budget, no matter how big or small "don't we all?" dont waste a lot of money on the easy stuff to get. It adds up, and then you will find yourself short on some items that you'd really like to own. Its happened to all of us, even us with "large" budgets. ie: collector decides to get out of the hobby and dumps all his cards at once, coupled with some more rare cards on ebay the same week by coincidence, and you're going to be short funds. Its happened to all of us before. Concentrate on quality and the "once in a lifetime" opportunities to buy, and forget the smaller items. If there's a lack of big ticket items available during a stretch, just save the money so you are ready. It all averages out like a roulette table: light weeks eventually bring heavy weeks. I prefer to work "backwards" by getting the hard to find/expensive cards first. There will always be time for the base and easier to find cards.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Mark McGwire Museum said:
As a fellow player collector, let me give some advice. I wouldn't worry about those base and "cheap" inserts now. If you have a budget, no matter how big or small "don't we all?" dont waste a lot of money on the easy stuff to get. It adds up, and then you will find yourself short on some items that you'd really like to own. Its happened to all of us, even us with "large" budgets. ie: collector decides to get out of the hobby and dumps all his cards at once, coupled with some more rare cards on ebay the same week by coincidence, and you're going to be short funds. Its happened to all of us before. Concentrate on quality and the "once in a lifetime" opportunities to buy, and forget the smaller items. If there's a lack of big ticket items available during a stretch, just save the money so you are ready. It all averages out like a roulette table: light weeks eventually bring heavy weeks. I prefer to work "backwards" by getting the hard to find/expensive cards first. There will always be time for the base and easier to find cards.

When do you pickup the base and inserts then?

Dec 10, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
When do you pickup the base and inserts then?

When you're at the "end" of your collecting. Would you rather be trying to complete your collection looking for all the rare cards, or looking for base? It doesn't matter if you have the money later on if the item cant be found or isn't for sale. You'll never have a problem finding the base cards.

Phish

May 19, 2009
You can pick up base/inserts by trading on card forums. I picked up most of my Lance Johnson base stuff through sending SASE's to people and maybe trading a few cards that a set guy would need.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Phish said:
You can pick up base/inserts by trading on card forums. I picked up most of my Lance Johnson base stuff through sending SASE's to people and maybe trading a few cards that a set guy would need.

Yes, I just made a deal with this sketchy member on here (wlalocal71), but if he comes through, I traded him an auto I didnt need for a few Miggy GU and a bunch of base/inserts, so you are right that trading is a great way to go about it.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
I agree with MMM,pick up more 1/1's rare patches then when you feel you want to start boosting your % you pick up the base.Collect how you want not how others collect,why are you always so worried about what others think?

edit:Always click advanced search/include descriptions

You might find miggy in an a description for a large lot

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
thenumberonemetfan said:
I agree with MMM,pick up more 1/1's rare patches then when you feel you want to start boosting your % you pick up the base.Collect how you want not how others collect,why are you always so worried about what others think?

At this point, I feel I want to up my percentages though, thats why Im going for base/inserts at this point
Not really worried what others think, just trying to see if i overpaid/got a good deal on certain things
i feel i have a bunch of centerpieces and a good amount of 1/1's especially considering they r true 1/1's

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
miguelcabrera said:
thenumberonemetfan said:

At this point, I feel I want to up my percentages though, thats why Im going for base/inserts at this point
Not really worried what others think, just trying to see if i overpaid/got a good deal on certain things
i feel i have a bunch of centerpieces and a good amount of 1/1's especially considering they r true 1/1's

So go to websites like sportlots,checkoutmycards,sportsbuy.The shipping is a lot cheaper then ebay.

marterburn

now i think you probably have a little bigger budget than me, but I focus on a few sets/year (this year; Goudey, Spectrum, Bowman, & UD Game Used cards). everything else, i just flat out spurn spending money on. but everything I do go after, i go after really hard...

congrats on what you have man!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
You're doing well.

STAY FOCUSED

thats the key to collecting.

and as has already been mentioned...do NOT worry or care what others think.

99.9+% of Americans think collecting cardboard pictures of men is dumb anyway! LOL

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Nice job man, also, I'm glad to have helped add to that list. As said by others, focus on the cheap stuff last. You'll find that shipping ends up being the money vampire with these. The other thing you may consider is narrowing your collecting focus. I no longer buy any O'Neill GU/inserts/base and focus solely on the autos. It's not for everyone, but it adds an interesting thrill to my chase. Of course, the only insert I'm willing to plunk down some serious money on is the 2005 Finest Gold XFractor.

At the end of the day though pick up the stuff that makes you happy.

Mike

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
You are coming into your own Miggy! I see that college is helping you out because when we first met you were a complete *********!!! :mrgreen: :lol: ::facepalm::

Oh yeah blame it on the anthrax! :p :p :p

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
MMM - You've been thanked.

Anything rarer, pick up. Anything unique, pick up. Anything that is a real eye catcher, pick up. Base and 1:12 inserts can wait. People usually give them away in the end anyways.

Also, like someone said, be patient. There are peaks and valley's and if you don't get a 1/1 or something, don't be discouraged. Another one will pop down the road.

BTW, I sent you a pm that should help your collection ;)

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
55_marlins_sp said:
MMM - You've been thanked.

Anything rarer, pick up. Anything unique, pick up. Anything that is a real eye catcher, pick up. Base and 1:12 inserts can wait. People usually give them away in the end anyways.

Also, like someone said, be patient. There are peaks and valley's and if you don't get a 1/1 or something, don't be discouraged. Another one will pop down the road.

BTW, I sent you a pm that should help your collection ;)

thanks man, pm sent

Members online

Latest posts