Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whats up with "frack" and "shat"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
If these are the curse word equivelent to the real words - why not just say the real words? Im not someone who is offended by curse words, but I know there are some really young members on these boards. Anyway - not really a big deal I just dont quite understand the difference between saying frack and f__k if everyone knows what the person is meaning.

I know - I know - I need to chill the frack out.

ostrander111

Aug 7, 2008
PA
Lifelongfan said:
If these are the curse word equivelent to the real words - why not just say the real words? Im not someone who is offended by curse words, but I know there are some really young members on these boards. Anyway - not really a big deal I just dont quite understand the difference between saying frack and f__k if everyone knows what the person is meaning.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Lifelongfan said:

If you don't know what frak is you're missing out on one of the greatest sci-fi series of all-time.

battlestar_galactica_frak_compilation.jpg

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
No member on this board is young enough to be offended by a curse.Atleast I would hope not.

Mentioning the young members wasent really the point of my post. But you saying "no member on this board is young enough to be offended by a curse" is the point---why not just say the word---what is the difference?

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Lifelongfan said:
Mentioning the young members wasent really the point of my post. But you saying "no member on this board is young enough to be offended by a curse" is the point---why not just say the word---what is the difference?

Frack has been around since 1978 in the original Battlestar Galactica series. They created the word frack to get around censorship. In 2003 the Sci-Fi channel released a re-imagined Galactica series and the writers changed the spelling to frak to make it a "four letter word." Generally, people saying frak are Battlestar fans paying homage to one of their favorite shows, although Entertainment Weekly recently had an article detailing how frak has slipped into the popular vocabulary and people who don't know the origin are using it.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I think we should change them to things like fruitin' and poopie. Adds some levity to it.

A friend's wife is a teacher. She sends the kids to the office for saying friggin' and shoot. I'd like to punch her in the throat.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Lifelongfan said:

Despite the fact we hear swear words all the time, there is still a sense of strong emotion that comes with reading one online. Quite frankly, most of the instances in which "frack" or "shat" are used simply don't warrant using stronger language. Frack or shat is simply a way to dull the impact of the words while still conveying the message.

For example, in my communications class, we got a sheet of euphemisms that we're supposed to use. Apparently, calling someone an "alcoholic" is now insensitive and we're supposed to say that they are "alcohol-dependent." Frack and shat are not euphemisms per se but they do allow us to get our message across without seeming overly course.

Wes

OG
Administrator
justinmandawg said:
I think we should change them to things like fruitin' and poopie. Adds some levity to it.

A friend's wife is a teacher. She sends the kids to the office for saying friggin' and shoot. I'd like to punch her in the throat.

Hahahah I like that, similar to the stinkburger it makes me laugh to see funny words where people meant something not as amusing. shaboopie and kellyclarkson would be my votes.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
Lifelongfan said:

Despite the fact we hear swear words all the time, there is still a sense of strong emotion that comes with reading one online. Quite frankly, most of the instances in which "frack" or "shat" are used simply don't warrant using stronger language. Frack or shat is simply a way to dull the impact of the words while still conveying the message.

For example, in my communications class, we got a sheet of euphemisms that we're supposed to use. Apparently, calling someone an "alcoholic" is now insensitive and we're supposed to say that they are "alcohol-dependent." Frack and shat are not euphemisms per se but they do allow us to get our message across without seeming overly course.

well said.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
imac220 said:
ffgameman said:
How about this - don't curse!

I think you can actually get your point across better without using profanity.

Thankyou +1
I'm with you guys. My personal experiences have been that profanity is used:

1) To surprise
2) To try to add emphasis to something that does not warrant the attention without the profanity
3) Because it's "cool"

To me profanity pretty much cheapens any argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts