Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Christmas Baseball Card Tragedy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I opened the 365 packs that I saved during the year. One of those packs, a 2009 Topps 206 Hobby, yielded an incredible Gold Mini Chrome Jackie Robinson serially numbered #42/50, his jersey number! While showing it to my wife this morning, I took just one second to put it (along with a small stack of other cards) on the kitchen table. That's when my 3 year-old daughter took over! She took the stack and started folding cards in half to decorate the Christmas tree. When I returned, I gasped in horror. I found some cards in a child's tent, some on the tree, some in her room.....all mangled. Mr. Robinson is still missing. At this point, it could be anywhere. However, I am expecting the worst.

When I started to scold her, she pouted and told me "Daddy, you like playing with baseball cards so much, and so do I". I can't be too mad at her.....but wow....what a disappointment!

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Yeah, the fact she likes "daddy's baseball cards" is pretty neat to know. Although I'm really disappointed, I did keep my composure and will probably laugh at this somewhere down the line.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
My two year old actully pee pee'ed on the pack he opened
I just hope they stop that by the time there in there teens

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
My 4 year old was big on putting things in the trash can when he was 1 1/2. He threw away a topps chrome blue ref auto of Matt Leinart when it was a 4-500.00 card. I didn't notice until after the trashman had already come and gone.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It's been a rough year with my 2 year old getting into my cards. He ruined 20-30 cards, 1-2 low-end GU and autos. I'm pretty careful of leaving the good stuff out of reach. At lease he seems to be growing out of it and after many reminders hasn't touched anything in the last few months. But I emphasize with you. Sorry about the Jackie, that's a sweet card. Maybe being a mini it was spared being folded. I'd keep looking.

subpop77

Aug 24, 2008
Marshall, Texas, United States
Man sorry to hear that :( My 3 year old son knows not to mess with daddy's baseball cards thank god and I keep mine up out of his little wondering fingers :D I have bought him cheap '80's & '90's packs and give him my commons to "play baseball cards like daddy" :ugeek:

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
That's priceless, just like the girl that threw her daddy's foul ball back onto the field!

You're a lucky man, even before you pulled the JR.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
My three year old nephews are big fans of trying to grab at my cards and play with them. They've never actually got a hold of any until last night when I was organizing some 2007 BDP cards I had on a table. Luckily it was just the base non-chrome green cards and a few checklist cards. So I told the nephew that got a hold of them to just keep them and go ahead and play with them. He proceeded to throw them on the couch and walk away. Even three year old's know when they're holding garbage. :lol:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Liberate Baltimore said:
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I opened the 365 packs that I saved during the year. One of those packs, a 2009 Topps 206 Hobby, yielded an incredible Gold Mini Chrome Jackie Robinson serially numbered #42/50, his jersey number! While showing it to my wife this morning, I took just one second to put it (along with a small stack of other cards) on the kitchen table. That's when my 3 year-old daughter took over! She took the stack and started folding cards in half to decorate the Christmas tree. When I returned, I gasped in horror. I found some cards in a child's tent, some on the tree, some in her room.....all mangled. Mr. Robinson is still missing. At this point, it could be anywhere. However, I am expecting the worst.

When I started to scold her, she pouted and told me "Daddy, you like playing with baseball cards so much, and so do I". I can't be too mad at her.....but wow....what a disappointment!

Wow Christmas memories that will last a life time.

Thanks for sharing :D

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I handed my 6-month-old a Logoman that came in the mail the other day and she stuck it in her mouth in about 1/2 a second. :lol: (it was in a magnetic case inside a team bag)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Trust me. I KNOW ALL ABOUT card conundrums! "Soda-gate" and "Tossed by the Boss" are two little fiascos that I have experienced first hand this year. Just realize its cards and they can be replaced! LOL

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Update! While helping my wife to clean the kitchen tonight, I moved my daughter's "Sesame Street" stool. Upon moving the stool, three cards fell out of a little slot at the bottom (I never knew these cards were missing). I knew I was making progress. I looked inside the slot and there was Jackie! With surgical precision, I removed the card....still in Mint condition! When I asked my three year-old daughter why she put the cards in the slot, she sheepishly replied "I wanted to mail them to Santa!". Great memory.

James

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:
js0000001 said:
My two year old actully pee pee'ed on the pack he opened
I just hope they stop that by the time there in there teens
I still urinate on certain players cards I get and don't like ;)

So does Eric.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry to hear about that.But please do yourself a favor and keep all of your cards put up no matter what.I don't even leave stuff I get in the mail in the computer room on the table anymore.I used to so I could leave feedback but now I immediately stick it in my room in a box.I don't need a "soda gate" from my wife(and I think it could happen).I also learned firsthand that when a child is around...keep them out of sight.I learned that because I used to collect action figures that I would keep sealed and had friends with kids over and they would look at me like I am nuts for being upset that their child grabbed one of them and started tearing into them like it was Christmas.Then all of a sudden it turns into an argument where they demand to know why you even have them or keep them selaed.It can turn ugly.Just keep your stuff stashed.For you serious player collectors or just straight up collectors...I recommend a safe or a room that can be locked.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Jastermereel said:
I handed my 6-month-old a Logoman that came in the mail the other day and she stuck it in her mouth in about 1/2 a second. :lol: (it was in a magnetic case inside a team bag)

ahhhh.jpg
MMMMM. Logomen are delicious!!

Members online

Latest posts