Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BDP Poll: Xfractors vs. Purple Refractors

More Desirable?

• Xfractors (#d to 199, found in H & R)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Wanted to get your input on which is the most desirable parallel to own, both aethetically and value-wise.

One is serialized, the other isn't. One can be found in both hobby and retail, the only exclusively in retail.

Thoughts?

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I think the Xfractors will be more desirable as long as the purples are not serial numbered. I cant wait to see a purple in person to actually see how they are.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think the purples scan very nicely, although I personally don't like the look of the
prospect cards in any 2009 Bowman release. The vet refractors do look good though.

Does anybody know a PR for the purples, or the odds of pulling one?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I think XFractors and Blue Refractors are two of the most appealing parallels in all Chrome products.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I like Xfractors and the purple does about as much for me as the orange refractors did when they came out.

Here is what I'd like to see:

Refractor /500
Xfractor /199
Blue /99
Gold /50
Retrofractor /25 (black & White refractor w/ Vintage back)
Red /5
Superfractor

mm, mm, mm

If Topps ever hires me, I would do that exact configuration in a retro "History of Topps" set.

Can you imagine a '52 Mantle rainbow from that set???

mm, mm, mm

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
In Topps Chrome Football the Copper refractor (H&R) and the Blue Refractor (R) are comparable.

The copper Refractor is numbered to 599 while the blue isn't numbered. The blue refractors book for a little more then the Copper refractors.

I'm willing to bet the Purple Refractors will be worth 15%-20% more then a refractor.

I also believe there will be no Purple Refractor Autographs.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm not a huge fan of the way the X's look this year. From the examples I have seen, it seems like you could accidentally skip over an xfractor since they appear to blend in with the other cards. Same goes for the refractor. The purple is more appealing to me, but as far as which one will be more valuable, that depends on how scarce the purples are and if the buyers confuse them with blues.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
xfractors have been a staple in the chrome line since 2001 and when done right are very appealing. the purples are just the newest unecessary fad in the chrome line. personally, i would do away with all of the different color variations, go back to having the parallel identified by the color in the background (not the border, ala 2004-back) and line them up like this...

refractor #/500
xfractor #/250
team color refractor #/150 (red for the angels, blue for the dodgers, purple for the rockies, etc)
gold refractor #/50
international refractor #/50 (with their home nation's flag in the backdrop like 1997)
superfractor #/1
total parallels 1001

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
IMO, as long as there is no numbering on the purple refractors AND Topps does not reveal the quantity produced, the Xfractors will be more desireable between the two. Aesthetically speaking, I've never been a fan of the Xfractor parallels. I think it should be in other sets like it used to for Bowman's Best. So with that said, I think the purple refractors look much nicer.

Allen

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Never a fan of x-fractors. Especially since the numbering is in-between the tiers of regualr refractors, it presents an aesthetic problem for me. I want to sort out my cards in order of scarcity AND appearance, and this always messes me up. Plus, they just don't look that great to me unless the design really works with it, which it rarely does. I wish they had purple in regular BC this year. I was almost about to start building a veteran player gold ref set this summer then decided against it. But if they had a purple set, I'd go for it bigtime.

Jul 30, 2009
Right now, X's are more valuable and will stay that way unless:

1. People buy them thinking they are blues (epsecially if sellers state them as such)
2. After a while, collectors deem them as rare and hard to find. Even if they actually are produced in similar numbers to X's, once the Hobby jumps on something being rare and hard to find (as long as they arent numbered) its hard to change that.

Latest posts