Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you buy a card from a pack searcher/hot pack seller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
The seller who's one of the "biggest" hot pack seller on ebay has a card up that caught my eye...BUT, I will not bid on it cause I just don't feel like supporting a hobby scum like that and I'm pretty sure the card is somehow damaged from what I have gathered from the many packsearching threads on BMB and here...

If it were you, would you bid on a card (any card) from a known pack searcher?

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I would. If it's a card I want, then I'll buy it. I'm not going to pass up a card, and possibly a good deal just because he wants to search packs.

Think of it this way, whether you buy it or someone else does, does you not bidding really prevent him from doing it again?

i would have no problem buying a card from a pack searcher. i figure why wait for one person to wash it get it while you can... and since we dont know the ethics and scruples of each of the sellers on ebay i would assume we have all supported these people without knowing it.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Wow good question here, it is a do I buy and support this D-bag, or do I not buy and stand
a moral ground ( But I really like and need that card)

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Sure.

I'll give my money to a guy who pack searches, but not a guy who fakes cards (like a Kevin Burge). It kind of seems like a double standard, but that's just how I operate I guess.

Searching is kind of cheating the system, but it's not illegal or anything. If I'm buying a single, as long as it's legit, I don't care how the person got it as long as it wasn't stolen or something.

I would never, though, buy a hotpack from anybody.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
If I new for sure he was a pack searcher i would not buy. A card show I go to from time to time has a seller that sells "hot packs" and I walk buy his table each and every time

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
searching is immoral.

faking and altering is downright fraud.

that being said, if its a nice card someone will buy it so why not you? as another poster mentioned, we have all probably supported them at some time or other without knowing it.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
mburgin said:
searching is immoral.

faking and altering is downright fraud.

that being said, if its a nice card someone will buy it so why not you? as another poster mentioned, we have all probably supported them at some time or other without knowing it.

And that is the key: without knowing it.

If I knew that a seller was a searcher, I would not buy from him.

Sure, someone else will get the card, but it would always bug me, and I would think about it each time I looked at the card in my collection.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Good points!

Any concerns about possibly buying a damaged card? I know you can go through paypal but who wants to go through that hassle? ::facepalm::

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Unless it's a 1/1, there will be another one of these cards available at one point or another. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk of it being damaged and then going through the hassle of a claim. To me, not so much.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
if someone is the biggest on ebay I am sure they either reseal the packs so your chances are zilch of getting anything good OR they use a scale and can tell when the really good hits are in the pack (jumbo, triple , cut autos etc) just by the weight. If you think the seller will all of a sudden have a heart and send out the good card in the searched pack you are nuts.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I would imagine most of the "hot packs" are resealed anyway. I am sure everyone has bought singles from someone who pack searched.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I pack search all the time, and put stuff up on ebay once in a while. In fact, I think 90% of us here at FCB are pack searchers.

We buy a pack, open it up, and search through the cards like people have since the early days of trading cards :p

nurvanna

Feb 18, 2009
phoenix, az
this may come across as rude, however it's not meant in that context.

do you want the card or not?
can you deal with the possibility of it having damage?
upon seeing it, will it bother you knowing how you aquired it?

it's just simple yes or no questions, however each answer has it's own baggage of morals and ethics attached for you to deal with. it's up to you to decide if it's worth it to you.

if i was told, for certain, this pack contains one of the few chase cards i'm looking for, i would buy it and not look back. later upon seeing that card in my collection, i'd see the card and not how i aquired it - i'd probably remember, but not dwell upon it for more than a few seconds. some items in my collection( not ip items ), i can remember a lot about them and others it's like, wow i forgot i had this.

shoelessjoe had a nice brandon wood card up awhile back. i liked it a lot, however that specific card wasn't something i wanted in my collection. go figure.

do i have morals? maybe, maybe not. i just do what feels right for me.

"believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"

~ buddha

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
If you really want to start asking yourself some deep philosophical questions, look at the feedback for user - fredtheframer.

At first I thought this was a shill account for a hot pack seller, but I have no idea what's going on. I'm sure that some of the detectives on here can read more into it than I can.

Members online

Latest posts