Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you guys think of Jason Kubel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I have a huge Kubel stash, but I don't know if I'll ever part with it because I like this guy soo much. Even though he has been putting up better numbers every year, he doesn't seem to get too much love. It could be many factors such as the economic times, small market, overshadowed by Mauer/Morneau, but he had a pretty decent year.(.300BA, 28HR, 102RBI .369OBP, .539SLG, .907OPS) And he's about to turn 27 in May.

Am I the only who's noticing Kubel, and thinks he could be a sleeper star getting ready to breakout?

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Honestly man, unless you live in MN, then most people havent heard about him. IMO, he is a great player who deserves a TON more credit than he gets. I honestly dont know what he needs to do to get ANY credit for what he does...

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Labratt21 said:
If Mauer leaves then Kubel's name could get much bigger. I would hold for now and see what happens with Mauer.

I don't plan on selling even if his prices go up, I'm just wondering what people think of him as a player

The Third Eye

Aug 26, 2008
The Fox Valley
I like Kubel a lot and this could be an even better year for him. I drafted him last year in my keeper league but wound up trading him for some much needed pitching.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
wolfmanalfredo said:
Labratt21 said:
If Mauer leaves then Kubel's name could get much bigger. I would hold for now and see what happens with Mauer.

I don't plan on selling even if his prices go up, I'm just wondering what people think of him as a player

In that case he's money. While The Crew is in the NL, we're close enough to the Twin Cities to hear the rumblings and at least we can see him play in inter-league. Check his stats against the Crew the last 3 years ;)

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Brewer Andy said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
Labratt21 said:

In that case he's money. While The Crew is in the NL, we're close enough to the Twin Cities to hear the rumblings and at least we can see him play in inter-league. Check his stats against the Crew the last 3 years ;)

Yea, he always seems to be a big factor in the Twins Brewers games. In 08, didn't hit 3 or 4 HR in 3 games @ Millwaukee?

UtahUtes

Jun 22, 2009
I think he's still a year or two behind in his development thanks to his knee explosion. I predict the next three years will be great for him.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
He is unpopular because of these reasons...

1. His name is Jason Kubel. It sounds funny to most and is not catchy.
2. He is a stout clumsy looking white dude.
3. He is on a team that doesnt really get much attention.
4. He is on a team with 2 other amazing players. The reasons the other 2 goofy white guys get more love is because one is a 2 time mvp and did it as a catcher and the other is canadian......and one of the best players in baseball.
5. He doesnt have many cards.
6. He isnt outspoken
7. He stays out of trouble.
8. He is boring.

I didnt mean any of that in a bad way. I would love to have him on the Brewers. He wont ever get much love unless he breaks the consecutive hits record or bats over .400 for a season. Or hits for the cycle in back to back games. Something crazy like that.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
zookerman182 said:

4. He is on a team with 2 other amazing players. The reasons the other 2 goofy white guys get more love is because one is a 2 time mvp and did it as a catcher and the other is canadian......and one of the best players in baseball.
6. He isnt outspoken
8. He is boring.

I didnt mean any of that in a bad way. I would love to have him on the Brewers. He wont ever get much love unless he breaks the consecutive hits record or bats over .400 for a season. Or hits for the cycle in back to back games. Something crazy like that.

Mauer only has 1 MVP, Morneau Also has 1. I never thought his name sounded funny, but I can see what your talking about. Kubel. Koo bull. He did hit 1 cycle last year, where he topped it off with a grand slam. He also had 4 hits in his next game.

I see what your saying though. .400 isn't going to happen for Kubel, beating the hit streak is probably more unlikely then hitting .400, also doubt the back to back game cycle will either.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
It took Kubel this long to have this kind of year we've been hoping for. The Twins gave up on Ortiz after too many so-so years @ DH, let him go, and see what happened. While I'm not comapring the two, the philosophy could be the same. Let Kubes go, and he blossoms somewhere else. Instead, the Twins stuck with him, and he finally paid dividends. He's a DH though, and will never get any hobby love. While zookerman182 is right on (mostly) being a DH is the death knell to Kubel's hobby love. He will always be affrodable, so stock up and enjoy his career.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
wolfmanalfredo said:
zookerman182 said:

6. He isnt outspoken
8. He is boring.

Mauer only has 1 MVP, Morneau Also has 1. I never thought his name sounded funny, but I can see what your talking about. Kubel. Koo bull. He did hit 1 cycle last year, where he topped it off with a grand slam. He also had 4 hits in his next game.

I see what your saying though. .400 isn't going to happen for Kubel, beating the hit streak is probably more unlikely then hitting .400, also doubt the back to back game cycle will either.

My bad i thought mauer had 2 for some reason. Either way, you get my point. He would be top 5 on most under rated players in baseball.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Greg Cleveland said:
It took Kubel this long to have this kind of year we've been hoping for. The Twins gave up on Ortiz after too many so-so years @ DH, let him go, and see what happened.

What? he took PEDS with "Man-Ram" and became 100X better.

Really, there is ZERO comparison avaialible there.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Kubel is the classic case of what happens when the hyped rookie doesn't perform well out of the gate. Even if they go on to have pretty good careers, it's still hard to get people interested again.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Sean_C said:
Kubel is the classic case of what happens when the hyped rookie doesn't perform well out of the gate. Even if they go on to have pretty good careers, it's still hard to get people interested again.

Actually, it's more an example of what happens when the hyped rookie's knee shreds and basically doesn't play for a year and a half. As a 22 year-old in 2004 he hit .352 with 22 HR and 100 RBI in AA/AAA before being called up and making the post season roster. After the knee injury in the AFL, he didn't play again until 2006 and really wasn't right physically until 2008.

Definitely agree that he won't get much love as the full-time DH. He's not a bad LF, just seems that the Twins preference is Delmon Young in LF when he plays.

Alex

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Greg Cleveland said:
It took Kubel this long to have this kind of year we've been hoping for. The Twins gave up on Ortiz after too many so-so years @ DH, let him go, and see what happened.

What? he took PEDS with "Man-Ram" and became 100X better.

Really, there is ZERO comparison avaialible there.

Well, I wasn't really trying to compare the players, just the Twins Front Office actions between the two. If they'd kept Ortiz, well, who knows? But if they let Kubel go, he could very well have blossomed into the player we saw this past year--for somebody else--and we'd still be lacking a strong or even decent dh.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Love him. So does my brother. He has a seriously sick collection of Kubel's.

He seems like a MN type guy. He isn't jacked up and muscular. Looks like a regular dude and scruffy.

I mark out when he comes through. I'm a fool and think he goes 30/110/.300 this year. Hopefully an all start birth too, since it's in Anaheim and in an AL park.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was going to post that Kubel's time has passed, as I researched him I find that in fact he's just in time. He turns 28 in May (seems like he's much older because of he's already going into his 8th card-year), he's improved every year at the major league level, and he's probably in the middle of a good lineup so he won't be the big threat to be pitched around, at least not yet. I now like him. What the heck, go buy some Kubel cards.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
What the heck, post some Kubel cards!

kubes1.jpg

kubes2.jpg

Latest posts