Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pirates mail from the past month and some thank you's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
With very few Jack Wilson cards being listed, I've turned my attention towards building the rest of my Pirate collection. I've focused mainly on adding autographs of older players TTM, but have still made a few purchases here and there.

Jack Wilson:
The Leather & Lumber is a piece of game used glove /50. Unfortunately, it is very hard to notice, and really blends in with the surrounding design. The DK is my second non place 1/1, which I picked up at the local shop for $20.
scan0062-1.jpg
scan0067.jpg
scan0046.jpg
Looks great alongside my other 1/1, which was given to my by George Calfas.
scan0097-1.jpg

Warren Morris:
scan0042-1.jpg
scan0063.jpg

Pirate autos:
I was looking forward to the Razor release, and wasn't disappointed. The on card signatures look great. Also, the scan does the Paulino Beam Team little justice.
scan0059.jpg
scan0066.jpg
scan0071.jpg
scan0081.jpg
I picked up these two Dunne autos for under $3. Not the biggest purchase, but he's a very tough autograph to find, and these are only the second time I've seen examples that weren't personalized.
scan0012-1.jpg
scan0024.jpg

I also have to thank birdsfan85 and thunter48 for their tremendous generosity. Birdsfan sent me a great package of vintage Pirates that made a huge addition to my vintage collection, and scans of a few of the highlights are below. Thunter sent me the 4 Pearce autos, adding to the small Pearce stash I've amassed.
BillMazeroski.jpg
scan0085.jpg
scan0083.jpg
scan0091.jpg
scan0093.jpg
scan0080.jpg
StevePearce.jpg
StevePearce2.jpg
StevePearce3.jpg

Also pulled this from one pack of Bowman Draft. Scratches are all on the toploader.
scan0064.jpg

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Mail from the past month

Thanks Mike. I've been building a nice little stash of Pearce since his prices came down a few months back. I'm hoping he gets off to a hot start next year while Moss is out. Otherwise, I don't know that he'll get much of a shot with the Pirates, since the new management doesn't seem too high on him. BTW, the Wilson 1/1 might look familiar to you. It had been in the showcase at Joe's for about 2 years now, but he wouldn't come down from $50. It changed hands a few times recently, so I was more than happy to scoop it up for $20.

Scotty- It's my 5th Wilson glove card. They're far more interesting and unique than other game used swatches, in my opinion.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

What year is that stadium club beam team auto of Paulino from?Thats a cool looking card.Almost like the gallery of heros cards from the late 90's.

G

subject to change said:
Thanks Mike. I've been building a nice little stash of Pearce since his prices came down a few months back. I'm hoping he gets off to a hot start next year while Moss is out. Otherwise, I don't know that he'll get much of a shot with the Pirates, since the new management doesn't seem too high on him. BTW, the Wilson 1/1 might look familiar to you. It had been in the showcase at Joe's for about 2 years now, but he wouldn't come down from $50. It changed hands a few times recently, so I was more than happy to scoop it up for $20.

Scotty- It's my 5th Wilson glove card. They're far more interesting and unique than other game used swatches, in my opinion.
Definitely, I just couldn't remember where I've seen it countless times. :lol:

How did it end up getting in your hands?

Speaking of Joe's, there's a JVB TC Red Ref there that I need for $8, I'm waiting for him to move it over to his $1 box. :lol: :mrgreen:

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
From what I understand the Wilson 1/1 changed hands in a few deals over last few weeks. Ron got it in with some stuff he bought off Joe, sold some things off to someone else, etc. Eventually Dave picked it up as part of a deal, knowing he'd be able to move it to me at a reasonable price. Ended paying more than I would have at auction, but it's a 1/1, so I'm just happy to have the card in my collection.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008

You still high on Pearce? Where do you see him palying in the future.

I was high on him and have a decent amount of his stuff but have soured on him

thenumberonemetfan said:
Pearce is going to be real good.
Very nice mail overall and nice pull on the stanton

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
The new management team made it pretty clear last season that Pearce does not fit into their longterm plans. Last I heard, Brandon Moss should miss some time at the beginning of the season. If Pearce gets off to a hot start, I could see them putting Moss in left and Pearce in right. Otherwise, I think Pearce will likely go the way of Brad Eldred and be relegated to being a AAAA player.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
That was my understanding as well. As you said a nice start can certainly change that

subject to change said:
The new management team made it pretty clear last season that Pearce does not fit into their longterm plans. Last I heard, Brandon Moss should miss some time at the beginning of the season. If Pearce gets off to a hot start, I could see them putting Moss in left and Pearce in right. Otherwise, I think Pearce will likely go the way of Brad Eldred and be relegated to being a AAAA player.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Huffamaniac said:
That was my understanding as well. As you said a nice start can certainly change that

subject to change said:

I think he has a good chance at racking up at bats as a 5th OF/backup 1B this year, but his power numbers will need to significantly improve over how he was hitting last year if he has any real shot at changing any opinions in the Pirates front office.

George- Thank you once again! It was a real coincidence to be able to get both matching 1/1's.

predatorkj- The Paulino is from 2008 Stadium Club. The cards look fantastic in person if you hold them up to light. They're very reminiscent of the inserts from the late 90's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts