Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question on 2006 Bowman Sterling Gold Refractors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Sarah Loves the M's said:
Are any of these serial numbered?

[quote="The Third Eye":3lpn3smv]There are some backdoored non serial numbered versions out there.
[/quote:3lpn3smv]

None of the back-doored versions are serial #'d.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008

[quote="The Third Eye":3pxsmczq]There are some backdoored non serial numbered versions out there.
[/quote:3pxsmczq]

yes...the ones which were issued in packs. those without serial numbers simply found their way into the hands of a few unscrupulous ebay sellers

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore

[quote="The Third Eye":3vy2u6wn]There are some backdoored non serial numbered versions out there.
[/quote:3vy2u6wn]

Just echoing what others said. There are some "backdoored" versions of these without serial numbers. The thought is someone who works/worked for Topps or (what ever company they use to make these) had some extras made. Some how there were additional copies made and they don't have serial numbers made. These have, unfortunately, have made their way into the market. The "real" versions were serial numbered and came out of sealed packs.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
They look to be selling for the same amount... I have some BGS graded non-serial numbered ones too so people don't seem to mind.

kdailey4315 said:
Which ones are worth more? Just curious.

People dont mind cause they didnt figure out they are stolen back doored cards yet. There literally can be hundreds of non serial numbered versions no one know but the person who stole them.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
There are similar non serial numbered black refractors from this set out there too, conveniently sold by the same sellers with all the golds.

Jul 30, 2009
ANYONE who buys one knowing they are stolen/backdoored is only hurting other collectors.

Its stolen property and regardless if you are a plyer collector or not, the more you buy, the more these loser dealers will be on the look out for more backdoored stuff. Im sure they are ready and willing to pay these Topps/printing employees even more now for different backdoored stuff since they have huge smashing success with these BS cards.

The fact that they are being graded is totally insane. Dont these grading companies know ANYTHING about cards except condition?

I cant believe anyone would buy this crap. ::facepalm::

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:
ANYONE who buys one knowing they are stolen/backdoored is only hurting other collectors.

Its stolen property and regardless if you are a plyer collector or not, the more you buy, the more these loser dealers will be on the look out for more backdoored stuff. Im sure they are ready and willing to pay these Topps/printing employees even more now for different backdoored stuff since they have huge smashing success with these BS cards.

The fact that they are being graded is totally insane. Dont these grading companies know ANYTHING about cards except condition?

I cant believe anyone would buy this crap. ::facepalm::

To be fair, you also have to research the seller, because it's not like they divulge that these aren't ser. numbered or that they were backdoored. Kind of hard to fault someone who snaps up a refractor they wanted either BIN or late in an auction when all the info isn't there.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
They may not be confined to 06's

I remember years ago someone had a complete set of 2005 Bowman Chrome GREEN refractors. These were from THEPIT.COM exclusive uncirculated cards.

Well this complete set had no serial numbers. I thought it was a neat promo card or something and bid on a few. I won the Chris Young (OF) and the Carlos Gonzalez.

I still love them and hope they weren't "stolen" but i've long since lost track of who sold them and never did see another set of them.

Anyone else remember that auction, or ever see another non-numbered Green Refractor from 2005?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I have some of the garko's and the serial #'d ones sell for a little more. The people with the un #'d ones have all sorts of stories about them including:
They are retail versions
They are replacements for damaged cards
They are proofs

The fact is that they look exactly the same other then the serial # but only the ones /10 are legit.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
bigboydsportscards3 has his stating that "BECKETT STATES ONLY 25 COPIES PRODUCED, CARD IS NOT SERIAL NUMBERED" This is different than they were described earlier. The earlier descriptions stated something about them being numbered to 25 but these aren't numbered, something to that effect. So they obviously knew that they were supposed to be numbered and these aren't legit ones.

I've been keeping an eye out for a Zimmerman that is actually numbered. I'm not buying these un-numbered ones, but I keep checking them and hoping to find a legit numbered one.

There is also a graded Black Zimmerman on eBay now that says /25, but doesn't list the serial number. I'm wondering if it's legit. With the BIN price, I would hope so.

Sarah Loves the M's

Feb 6, 2010
It is really frustrating as I have spent between $40-$95 each on buying up sterling gold refractors of the guy I was trying to hoard and though something was fishy as I just got my 11th one and know of at least 6 more that are out there...

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
It is really frustrating as I have spent between $40-$95 each on buying up sterling gold refractors of the guy I was trying to hoard and though something was fishy as I just got my 11th one and know of at least 6 more that are out there...

I have (15) of the 25 SERIAL NUMBERED copies of the Will Venable Black and (5) of the 10 SERIAL NUMBERED copies of the Gold. Considering the amount I spent on those over the past few years and the number of ******** fakes I've seen since, yes, it's very frustrating. Everytime this thread comes up, it makes me question my involvement in what is becoming an increasingly dishonest hobby.

Members online

Latest posts