Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone watching the combine ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I've watched for about an hour total today. That's all I can stand.

You ?

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
Watched it for an hour or two, wasn't too interesting today cause it was big fellas running, but it should be more interesting tomorrow.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
Watched about as much as you did today. Would have kept a closer eye on it if Gronkowski was doing drills. I'll pay more attention tomorrow.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
I didn't get to watch as much as I wanted too but Campbell and Williams are athletes at the tackle position.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I personally think the NFL Combine is one of the worst things that the NFL does, from a team standpoint.

There are FAR more examples of teams overrating a player's talent AND putting too much stock in a poor performance than there are of some lowly potential draftee putting on a show and living up to the hype.

Any player who ditches out on it and/or doesn't do most of the events is smart in my opinion.

If it could get back to a "check to make sure you're physically fit" type of thing, then it would make sense. But today, it is too much of a wierd "horse auction".

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
^ I agree.
It really should just confirm what you see on tape, not entirely create or greatly influence the talent of a player.

I do think less teams are over-valuing the combine numbers....and I think those that do, like the Raiders, have payed dearly for that.
Personally - Is it Campbell I saw yesterday? That was the Maryland tackle? He would not even be on my draft board. After yesterday you can call that stupid, but from what I heard he barely even played, when he did he got hurt and did not play well, they questioned his passion, etc. etc.....No way in hell I'd take that person in the 1st round. He would be worth taking....but as a "project"......and that means the mid-rounds. Because a "project" is a great athlete does not make him a 1st rd pick........it simply confirms why he is a "project" and worth a later rd. pick to begin with,
Could he turn out great? Sure, but I'd argue it's probably be a better chance he's a bust and you can't risk that in the 1st rd. with all the talent that is there.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
I am sure it is just the media that overvalues this. Scouts and team management probably weighs it just where it should be.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
lumm0x said:
I am sure it is just the media that overvalues this. Scouts and team management probably weighs it just where it should be.

A Vikings guy was just on and speaking about that and it seemed to be the case. Saying if a guy wasn't a first-round talent to them the combine doesn't change anything. All it really does is "seed the players" - i.e. - if they have 3 wrd rd. WR's a fast 40 may move them ahead of that group, but he's still a 3rd rounder and it doesn't take those other guys off the board.

Have to say I was impressed though by Golden Tate's 40 time. Starting to think he could be a big time playmaker.
Though as I'm typing this he just dropped just about everything in "The Gauntlet". :lol:

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
rymflaherty said:
^ I agree.
It really should just confirm what you see on tape, not entirely create or greatly influence the talent of a player.

I do think less teams are over-valuing the combine numbers....and I think those that do, like the Raiders, have payed dearly for that.
Personally - Is it Campbell I saw yesterday? That was the Maryland tackle? He would not even be on my draft board. After yesterday you can call that stupid, but from what I heard he barely even played, when he did he got hurt and did not play well, they questioned his passion, etc. etc.....No way in hell I'd take that person in the 1st round. He would be worth taking....but as a "project"......and that means the mid-rounds. Because a "project" is a great athlete does not make him a 1st rd pick........it simply confirms why he is a "project" and worth a later rd. pick to begin with,
Could he turn out great? Sure, but I'd argue it's probably be a better chance he's a bust and you can't risk that in the 1st rd. with all the talent that is there.

Campbell was listed as a first rounder by nearly all the draft experts so I'm guessing yesterdays workout probably moved him up unless his interviews were poor.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
^
Yeah I just double-checked that and you're right. See he was at about #26. I guess it was just listening to the evaluators there talk about him and his college career and you would have never guessed he'd have been listed so high.

I guess I'm just weary of any guy who's bio starts with "Considered a high prospect based on promise rather than production" and is classified as a 'work in progress" (from Sports Weekly) when you're talking about a high pick.

Spiller just ran a sub 4.28 40

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
lumm0x said:

I think the bigger problem is one bad 40 time or too few bench reps hurting a guy's position.

Look at what happened to Boldin. I think he had a bad 40 trial, so he fell out of the first round. That was obvioulsy a mistake.

On the other hand, you are right that a smart team knows what they have, Combine be damned. I can remember Joe Thomas doing below average in the Bench Reps trial, but he was so sound fundamentally, that it didn't matter. Cleveland did the right thing, and he was argueabley the most polished draftee in recent history.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Weatherspoon and Suh both looked really good today and put up solid numbers to go along w/ their on field performance.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
Joe Haden just posted an unofficial 4.57 on his first run and a 4.6 on his second run. Ugly time for the top CB. Berry posted a 4.46 and a 4.4.

Berry really made his case to be a top 5 pick if not top 2-3. Unless Haden posts a blazing 40 at his pro day I'm guessing he falls out of the top 10.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
^

Those aren't the "official" NFL Network times though. Or at least they were not this morning, so don;t know if they had made them "official". I know it wouldn't seem like a big deal, but I don;t know if you watched the previous day's, because a lot of the times for the backs and receivers were significantly different from what they first reported.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
rymflaherty said:
^

Those aren't the "official" NFL Network times though. Or at least they were not this morning, so don;t know if they had made them "official". I know it wouldn't seem like a big deal, but I don;t know if you watched the previous day's, because a lot of the times for the backs and receivers were significantly different from what they first reported.

I've seen some of the adjusted times and they were a bit different. It was funny b/c they took video of Mays' 40 and ran him against guy w/ a quicker time and Mays beat him so I'm not sure how accurate the official times are.

Members online

Latest posts