Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you were a free agent, what would you choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
This is a multi tiered question.

A bit of history about you: You grew up in California. Your family still lives there. Your offseason home is in Cali. You grew up rooting for the Red Sox. You don't have any emotional attachment (IE, you have family in Southie) to them other than being a life long fan. You hate the Yankees for obvious reasons. You were drafted out of high school by the Cubs. You have no family in Chicago, you have no attachment to the Windy City other than they gave you a huge signing bonus and a chance.

Six years later, you're a three time All Star coming off the best season of your career. You're a big name free agent. You've given the team who drafted you five years of major league service, and you're the hottest FA in baseball. You know you'll be getting a significant pay raise from the $10 million you're making right now. You're young and have no history of injury, so how many years the contract is for is irrelevant. Whether it's $10 million or $15 million a year, either way you're set for life

You have a few things to consider before making a decision.
1. How important is my annual salary?
2. How important is loyalty to the team who took a risk drafting me and a risk giving me a $2.3 million signing bonus?
3. How important is, if I decide to become a FA, signing with a team I like or hate?
4. How important is choosing a team close to where I grew up, where my loved ones are?

There are numerous combinations of the following options. I don't want to create a poll with 36 options, I'd rather hear explanations as to why you'd choose what you'd choose.

Pick between four possible reasons, and rank them. Salary, Loyalty to your current team, team allegiances from your childhood, and the proximity to your family.

My answer
1. Proximity to your family
2. Loyalty to your current team
3. Team allegiances from when you were a kid
4. Salary

My reasoning
I don't like being too far from home, away from my family. I've traveled around the country doing door to door sales and made $20k more than what I was making living in Austin. I hated it. I hated living in hotels, never being able to have a normal relationship, I hated not having a place to call home.

All things being relatively equal ($2m/year more than a $10m/year salary is relatively equal), if I had a choice between taking a new job or staying with the company who gave me my first job, I'd choose staying with the company who gave me a chance. They trusted me enough to hire me, and I'll give them the same level of respect.

I'm going to assume most players grew up rooting for certain teams as a kid. If you grew up a Sox fan you hated the Yanks, and vice versa. Cubs fan? Screw the Cards. If I had a choice as a Sox fan from birth to go to five different teams as a FA, the Yanks would be my last choice. Hell, I wouldn't play for em regardless of how much they offered. I know this is big business with big money, but I still have convictions

Money is the least important of everything in this scenario. Is a five million dollar pay raise important? Hell yeah it is. Is it really that important when you're already making ten million bucks a year? Not so much. Look at things logically. Most ballplayers grew up somewhere between poverty in the Dominican Republic and upper middle class in So Cal. I know taking the best paying job to support your family and putting food on the table is important....when you choose between making $25k or $30k/year. That's the difference between living in an apartment or living in a house. That's the difference between McDonald's and Chili's. That's the difference between buying new clothes or going to Goodwill.

What is the difference between $10 million a year and $15 million a year? Being able to afford 15 new Ferrari's a year or 20. Being able to afford a 7200 sq ft house in Hollywood or a 6400 sq ft house. Buying a $3.2 m yacht vs only being able to afford a $2.5 m yacht

Money is the most overrated thing ever. If you really need to make the choice to take a $3m pay raise to get by, you either 1. are living too extravagantly, or 2. need to murder your financial advisor

Thoughts?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
"Money is the most overrated thing ever."

only to those of us without any ;)

Take as much as you can, when you can. ESPECIALLY if you are a pitcher

G

I seriously think if I were an MLB player and I was traded to either the Cubs or the Red Sox I would pull a Jackie Robinson and retire. There's no way in Hell I would ever play for either of those franchises no matter what. If they drafted me I'd sit out. No way. Just wouldn't be possible for me to do. I think I'd rather be poor than a Cub or Red Sock. I just hate them too much to every put on their hat and jersey willingly.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Sam Banks said:
I seriously think if I were an MLB player and I was traded to either the Cubs or the Red Sox I would pull a Jackie Robinson and retire. There's no way in Hell I would ever play for either of those franchises no matter what. If they drafted me I'd sit out. No way. Just wouldn't be possible for me to do. I think I'd rather be poor than a Cub or Red Sock. I just hate them too much to every put on their hat and jersey willingly.

i call ********! lol

G

ThoseBackPages said:
Sam Banks said:

i call ********! lol

You know me better than the majority of the people here.

When have you EVER known me to not hold true to my convictions?

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
1.Salary(show me the money)
2.Team allegiances from when you were a kid(Im loyal to my team)
3.Proximity to your family(I wont be gone too long)
4.Loyalty to your current team(You dont want me enough to pony up the big bucks,I dont want to play for your team)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Sam Banks said:
ThoseBackPages said:
[quote="Sam Banks":1k6t95lf]I seriously think if I were an MLB player and I was traded to either the Cubs or the Red Sox I would pull a Jackie Robinson and retire. There's no way in Hell I would ever play for either of those franchises no matter what. If they drafted me I'd sit out. No way. Just wouldn't be possible for me to do. I think I'd rather be poor than a Cub or Red Sock. I just hate them too much to every put on their hat and jersey willingly.

i call *censor*! lol

When have you EVER known me to not hold true to my convictions?[/quote:1k6t95lf]

Yes, that is true. BUT, the person described in the senario above is not Sam Banks ;)

G

ThoseBackPages said:
Sam Banks said:
ThoseBackPages said:
[quote="Sam Banks":18vzhw7t]I seriously think if I were an MLB player and I was traded to either the Cubs or the Red Sox I would pull a Jackie Robinson and retire. There's no way in Hell I would ever play for either of those franchises no matter what. If they drafted me I'd sit out. No way. Just wouldn't be possible for me to do. I think I'd rather be poor than a Cub or Red Sock. I just hate them too much to every put on their hat and jersey willingly.

i call *censor*! lol

When have you EVER known me to not hold true to my convictions?

Yes, that is true. BUT, the person described in the senario above is not Sam Banks ;)[/quote:18vzhw7t]

To be honest, I got about a quarter of the way done reading it and said screw it I don't feel like reading the rest.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Sam Banks said:

Kudos

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
1. How important is my annual salary?

Would be my only important factor

I can fly home more often and buy more season tickets to the team I had allegiances to when I retire, for a few million more a year. Im sure the fans would hate me, but I can live with that when I buy every family member I have a mansion and a stake in the team, I have allegiance to ;)

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I know it's not one of the four, but I can't stand losing. I'm looking for a good team #1.

From the remaining:

1. Team allegiances from when you were a kid (I grew up watching the Sox, and I would want nothing more than to play for them)
2. Salary
3. Proximity to family
4. Loyalty to your current team

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Sam Banks said:
ThoseBackPages said:
[quote="Sam Banks":2puyjc9s]I seriously think if I were an MLB player and I was traded to either the Cubs or the Red Sox I would pull a Jackie Robinson and retire. There's no way in Hell I would ever play for either of those franchises no matter what. If they drafted me I'd sit out. No way. Just wouldn't be possible for me to do. I think I'd rather be poor than a Cub or Red Sock. I just hate them too much to every put on their hat and jersey willingly.

i call *censor*! lol

When have you EVER known me to not hold true to my convictions?[/quote:2puyjc9s]

That is because your convictions have never had anything substantial at stake.

tonyrios

Aug 11, 2008
Brooklyn
thenumberonemetfan said:
bigpapiMA32 said:
Family
Salary
Loyalty
Allegiances

Though I should note I could never sign with the Yankees.

How about for 200 million over 8 years?

I'd be a member of the 2004 Red Sox as a Yankee fan for that kind of money. It's baseball, why would you let that get in the way of you making millions of dollars? No one's going to say, "There goes the bravest player ever, die hard Red Sox fan but wouldn't play for the Yankees for 200 million dollars..." People will call you stupid, not a hero.

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
1. Family
2. Money

I don't care one bit about loyalty or previous favorite teams, probably because I don't really have favorite team, and am more a fan of the game itself.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Incline Investments said:
1. Family
2. Money

I don't care one bit about loyalty or previous favorite teams, probably because I don't really have favorite team, and am more a fan of the game itself.

You didn't grow up rooting for a team you liked, or rooting against a team you hated?

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
Let me first say that I am a die hard Sox fan and in the past 12 years have not missed one game. If I am out of town or away I tape the games and watch them later on. I have no problem with what the Yankees are doing. Its there money and they can spend it wherever they please. That being said, it could be 100 million a year and I would still never don a Yankees hat or jersey.

Allegiance
Family
Money

That would be my order

Incline Investments

Aug 15, 2008
Cali
JoshHamilton said:
Incline Investments said:
1. Family
2. Money

You didn't grow up rooting for a team you liked, or rooting against a team you hated?

I actually don't hate any teams at all.

It sounds weird, but I am a huge Giants fan, and a huge Dodger fan. I love the rivalry, and love when they play each other.

I am a Yankee fan, a Royals fan, a Rays fan, and an Angels fan.

I honestly will watch any baseball game, and root for whichever team I feel like on that given day.

I know it sounds weird but 100% the truth.

Latest posts