Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Someone really hit for the cycle in a spring training game??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
Not sure how often this happens.

Brian Anderson of the royals 4/4 with the cycle and 7 RBI's

oh, and the Royals are winning 21-0 after 5 innings :lol:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I never understood the infatuation with the cycle but for whatever the reason, fans and players get a kick out of it.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
200lbhockeyplayer said:
I never understood the infatuation with the cycle but for whatever the reason, fans and players get a kick out of it.

Doesn't happen very often during the season, especially after 5 innings in spring training

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I love the cycle.

First off, a triple is generally the most exciting play in the game. Secondly, how many players can hit a triple and a home-run? Not just in the same game, but just in general? I'm not talking "give 'em a triple eventhough it shoulda been an error" either... A real triple.

4 Hits in a game is always impressive, even if it's just singles..

Yah, I'd rather see a guy hit for the cycle than hit 3HR.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I've changed my mind.

Inside the Park Home-Run in a standard park, not a goofy park like Houston where the ball just starts bouncing around and gets lost, is the most exciting play in baseball.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
pigskincardboard said:
I've changed my mind.

Inside the Park Home-Run in a standard park, not a goofy park like Houston where the ball just starts bouncing around and gets lost, is the most exciting play in baseball.

What about a good play at the plate?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Anderson is a solid player. I wish he would have gotten more of a chance in Detroit. He seemed like a guy that could come out of nowhere and contribute nicely.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
rico08 said:
pigskincardboard said:
I've changed my mind.

What about a good play at the plate?

Play at the plate is up there, so long as it's from first base.

There's something remarkable about watching a player run out of gas but just keep churnin' his legs as he slides into home (or third in the case of a triple)

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
numba1yankeefan said:
Doesn't happen very often during the season, especially after 5 innings in spring training

???? There were 8 cycles in MLB in 2009, so it happened quite a bit considering there have been nearly 300 in the whole history of MLB.

I'm more impressed with the regular season cycle still. It is accomplished off those pitchers who are deemed by their teams good enough to be on MLB rosters, not done in spring training off pitchers who are more likely to be minor leaguers up with the spring big club to be innings wasters or still being evaluated to see if they belong on a MLB roster in the regular season.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
nborton said:
Anderson is a solid player. I wish he would have gotten more of a chance in Detroit. He seemed like a guy that could come out of nowhere and contribute nicely.

Anderson never played in Detroit. He was with the White Sox for like four years.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
rsmath said:
numba1yankeefan said:

???? There were 8 cycles in MLB in 2009, so it happened quite a bit considering there have been nearly 300 in the whole history of MLB...

Guess it boils down to opinion then, because I think that something that may happen ~8 times a year, and only ~300 times in MLB history is indeed rare and worthy of note. Having said that, I also believe it's more of a statistic of luck, and consider it more of an anecdotal footnote rather than an accomplishment.

Members online

Latest posts