Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another episode of "Real or Fake?"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I think fake as he's got a similar Beltran up but I can't see any marks on the card from the scans.

Let the opinions roll.....

[ebay:3s20mvs4]260573799911[/ebay:3s20mvs4]

Konerko.jpg

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I'd normally say fake on both but I can't see any damage. A lot of these have natural creases and these don't have any so I'm stumped.

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
What's sad is there are so many fakes floating around now, every good patch out there will have doubters.

Guess video proof of the pack being opened must now be included with the auctions.

Glad I never really got into the patch thing

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Other cards sold by watchmanfan

I can't decide whether he makes fake patches or is a collector of logo patches. I'm more skeptical than most, so sometimes I pass on real logo patches, but oh well. He's sold some nice logos in the past, but they could all be real except for the Matsui.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I bought this patch :

Fakerivera.jpg

From this seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/Mariano-Rivera-09-U ... 335b5ba3c2

Which Now he has relisted the card after ebay told me that he would not be able to relist the card again and they are currently investigating ::facepalm::

I took a chance on it because I know there were similar patches like that which sold early on. When I recieved it ( This goes When I recieve any Logo patch) I check every aspect of the card. I looked for dips, Lifting, Spliting, ECT. ECT. and the final thing I checked was if the patch moved at all. Well The Logo was not even attached to the Jersey :benson: . I could have litterly lifted the whole logo out of the card and put it back in. What amazed me was that there was not any damage to the window whats so ever which was the first time (For me) I had seen that on a card.
99.99% when you get a fake Logo you will see some sort of window damage be it small you will still see it. Now the seller that I bought the Fake Rivera from and the seller of the Konerko are not related (I dont think) so the cards he has could possibly be legit. Also Watchmen does not seem to Privatize his buyers (Which should have been a big red flag for me on the Rivera) so he has that going for him. The thing that scares me is that he has/had a 2005 absolute reverse Matsui jumbo jersey card with a Tag in it that we all know is fake and if he has one fake he more than likley has more. If you do go after it and recieve it I would look and prod (With out damaging it ofcourse) that card and if you see anything what so ever that would make you even more suspisious I would file a dispute ASAP and get your money back. Good luck on what ever you do.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I bought this patch :

Fakerivera.jpg

Which Now he has relisted the card after ebay told me that he would not be able to relist the card again and they are currently investigating ::facepalm::

I took a chance on it because I know there were similar patches like that which sold early on. When I recieved it ( This goes When I recieve any Logo patch) I check every aspect of the card. I looked for dips, Lifting, Spliting, ECT. ECT. and the final thing I checked was if the patch moved at all. Well The Logo was not even attached to the Jersey :benson: . I could have litterly lifted the whole logo out of the card and put it back in. What amazed me was that there was not any damage to the window whats so ever which was the first time (For me) I had seen that on a card.
99.99% when you get a fake Logo you will see some sort of window damage be it small you will still see it. Now the seller that I bought the Fake Rivera from and the seller of the Konerko are not related (I dont think) so the cards he has could possibly be legit. Also Watchmen does not seem to Privatize his buyers (Which should have been a big red flag for me on the Rivera) so he has that going for him. The thing that scares me is that he has/had a 2005 absolute reverse Matsui jumbo jersey card with a Tag in it that we all know is fake and if he has one fake he more than likley has more. If you do go after it and recieve it I would look and prod (With out damaging it ofcourse) that card and if you see anything what so ever that would make you even more suspisious I would file a dispute ASAP and get your money back. Good luck on what ever you do.

Yes, it was faked. Here is a link to the original #32/35. Hope that helps. I had been tracking these:
[ebay:1qus2oe7]180463530835[/ebay:1qus2oe7]

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I thought the beltran was fake when I first saw it for the same reason the rivera is. The stitching doesn't look sewn onto the swatch. I bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:1123

and couldn't stand how the blue was sticking out. I had to push hard using a toothpick-like tool and was successful without doing any damage to the card. The beltran logo seller seems to be proud of his work (of not damaging the card) with all those photos in the description.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I think I wanted this one to be real too much and you all talked me off the ledge. The rational side of me knew what was right but the set builder looking for a nice patch started talking an awfully good game.

Also thanks for the info on the Rivera. I knew it looked fake but seeing the original scan was a big help.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I say fake just because it looks like every legit Ultimate patch like those are put in either upside down or off axis. I have seen one yet that is perfectly on axis as that one is.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Fake or real, the card just sold for 201.00. I hope for the buyers sake it's real.

Chris D.

Aug 7, 2008
Bigfan5 said:
Also thanks for the info on the Rivera. I knew it looked fake but seeing the original scan was a big help.

It's crazy that the real patch was taken out and the fake one put in without any obvious damage to the card. The real patch was sewn in. Jeez.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
nevermore said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I bought this patch :

Fakerivera.jpg

Yes, it was faked. Here is a link to the original #32/35. Hope that helps. I had been tracking these:
[ebay:3qt8vjwh]180463530835[/ebay:3qt8vjwh]
I have a couple cards that I'd like to cross reference, bought them from a show locally. Can you share the link to the ones you have tracked?

Latest posts