Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help Prospecting?! How do you guys do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
Hey guys!
Just a question. What site do you guys and gals use to prospect. If not a site, what do you use?
I'm currently following mark cohoon and garrett richards. Are those two prospects worth while? All Comments are very Appreciated!!!!

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
Re: Help Prospecting?! How do younguys do it?

jetsrule4 said:
Hey guys!
Just a question. What site do you guys and gals use to prospect. If not a site, what do you use?
I'm currently following mark cohoon and garrett richards. Are those two prospects worth while? All Comments are very Appreciated!!!!

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I go to my guy's team website when the game starts and listen to a local radio station broadcast the game while reading a book, browsing the web, or doing homework. Gives you a great idea of how your guy is pitching, hitting, and you get coverage of every pitch of the action. Or use milb.com and follow the box scores, but they are WAY behind the audio broadcasts.

Ant

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Couple tips..

- look for prospects who may have fell off the map..great time to buy. some blossom at a later age.
- don't get run over by the hype train.
- don't let your portfolio be to pitcher heavy. You can get your heart broken.
- Stay away from high avg./no power guys. The long ball pays the big bucks. Avg. is nice ,but gets looked over if they have no power.
- Don't get caught up in the superfractor, gold, and orange craze. Blue refractors and base chrome can be some of the best investments.
- Once the window opens for profit...take it..
- don't forget about the "prospect cougars". Some of the best returns can be made on these guys. (26-30 years old)
- Don't get caught up in the hype from board members.. they've most likely loaded up on the guy they are telling you is the next Pujols (lots of good info on this site though)
- Watch the BA hot sheet. If one of your guys is on there. It may be time to dump some of stock pile.
-Checkout thepit.com. Great way invest in large lots without having to spend the time doing it on Ebay.
- Avoid pitchers that could end up being relief pitchers.
- Checkout who is blocking your prospect at the MLB level before investing to much in them.
- Don't get to attached to your prospect.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
AKA Coastal said:
Couple tips..

- look for prospects who may have fell off the map..great time to buy. some blossom at a later age.
- Stay away from high avg./no power guys. The long ball pays the big bucks. Avg. is nice ,but gets looked over if they have no power.
- Don't get caught up in the superfractor, gold, and orange craze. Blue refractors and base chrome can be some of the best investments.
- don't forget about the "prospect cougars". Some of the best returns can be made on these guys. (26-30 years old)
- Don't get caught up in the hype from board members.. they've most likely loaded up on the guy they are telling you is the next Pujols (lots of good info on this site though)
- Watch the BA hot sheet. If one of your guys is on there. It may be time to dump some of stock pile.
-Checkout thepit.com. Great way invest in large lots without having to spend the time doing it on Ebay.

Great post, agree completely, especially with the point that older prospects can sometimes be huge winners. A lot of people get caught up in the flavor of the week high school prospect and forget about these guys who are closest to the big leagues.

Another point I'd add is to determine a realistic sell point at which you would be happy to move a particular card. Remember that a profit is only a profit once you have completed a sale transaction. Until that point, value is completely speculative and can disappear overnight (see Angel Villalona).

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="AKA Coastal":2lyfsv42]Couple tips..

Great post, agree completely, especially with the point that older prospects can sometimes be huge winners. A lot of people get caught up in the flavor of the week high school prospect and forget about these guys who are closest to the big leagues.

Another point I'd add is to determine a realistic sell point at which you would be happy to move a particular card. Remember that a profit is only a profit once you have completed a sale transaction. Until that point, value is completely speculative and can disappear overnight (see Angel Villalona).[/quote:2lyfsv42]
Thanks. Good points on both and like michael inoa he fell off the face of the earth!

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I have a similar question as I am making my way in to prospecting.

Is there a good resource for what's out there sorted by player? I'm talking about lists for the obsessive player collectors... websites, books... i know Beckett puts out (or used to put out) an annual book of player checklists.

I have been putting together my own lists based on eBay searches and beckett marketplace searches....
i know not everyone is list-oriented like i am but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask...
anyone have any tips? suggestions? im especially curious to see what people do for younger players IE prospects...

tide12champrings

Aug 8, 2008
Gulf Shores
AKA Coastal said:
Couple tips..

- Checkout who is blocking your prospect at the MLB level before investing to much in them.

Great post. Bolded part is key. There's a select few on here that actually have a clue as to what they're talking about. Coastal is one of them.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
tide12champrings said:
AKA Coastal said:
Couple tips..

Great post. Bolded part is key. There's a select few on here that actually have a clue as to what they're talking about. Coastal is one of them.
haha id hope so or im being set up to fail

Jul 30, 2009
Besides whats been posted, another VERY important part of prospecting is picking up players on the big market teams (Yanks, Mets, Sox, Cubs, Dodgers and somewhat Braves).

The reason is that once they make waves, especially at the MLB level, their cards blow up more so than if they were on a different team. Ask yourself why do Cano, Reyes and Wright BOWMAN rookies sell for more than Hanley Bowman rookies?

Yes, there will be players who are mega priced out of the gates because they play on these teams (Fernando Martinez, Lars, Jesus Montero to say the least), but you have to be on the lookout for guys who just arent getting press. Ike Davis cards were INSANELY under priced all of last year. INSANELY UNDERPRICED.

I was picking up his stuff for nothing, honestly, nearly nothing. (ex: 2 BS autos and a Razor auto for $5.50 TOTAL).

Theres a nice amount of guys on these teams right now who fall into the "Ike Davis" scenario.

Also, yes, Im going to say it, "think outside the auto" meaning dont fall trap to ONLY buying autos. Yes if the player develops, those will sell at huge prices but most collectors dont feel like spending $100-$150 for an auto. So they go after an affordable alternative, non auto rookies. The perfect example right now is Heyward. I bought a lot of his base BC cards when they came out at 1.67 per and just sold them all for $15 per.

Heres a little hint, start picking up NON AUTOS of Jesus Montero (2008 Bowman Draft/Chrome Draft, 2008 Threads and 2008 Contenders). These cards are dirt cheap now. I have a large stash and just added more because the second he comes up and does ANYTHING....I mean ANYTHING....with the Yanks, his base cards will sell for $5-$10 per if not more.

jetsrule4

Aug 16, 2008
011873 said:
Besides whats been posted, another VERY important part of prospecting is picking up players on the big market teams (Yanks, Mets, Sox, Cubs, Dodgers and somewhat Braves).

The reason is that once they make waves, especially at the MLB level, their cards blow up more so than if they were on a different team. Ask yourself why do Cano, Reyes and Wright BOWMAN rookies sell for more than Hanley Bowman rookies?

Yes, there will be players who are mega priced out of the gates because they play on these teams (Fernando Martinez, Lars, Jesus Montero to say the least), but you have to be on the lookout for guys who just arent getting press. Ike Davis cards were INSANELY under priced all of last year. INSANELY UNDERPRICED.

I was picking up his stuff for nothing, honestly, nearly nothing. (ex: 2 BS autos and a Razor auto for $5.50 TOTAL).

Theres a nice amount of guys on these teams right now who fall into the "Ike Davis" scenario.

Also, yes, Im going to say it, "think outside the auto" meaning dont fall trap to ONLY buying autos. Yes if the player develops, those will sell at huge prices but most collectors dont feel like spending $100-$150 for an auto. So they go after an affordable alternative, non auto rookies. The perfect example right now is Heyward. I bought a lot of his base BC cards when they came out at 1.67 per and just sold them all for $15 per.

Heres a little hint, start picking up NON AUTOS of Jesus Montero (2008 Bowman Draft/Chrome Draft, 2008 Threads and 2008 Contenders). These cards are dirt cheap now. I have a large stash and just added more because the second he comes up and does ANYTHING....I mean ANYTHING....with the Yanks, his base cards will sell for $5-$10 per if not more.
yea i figured i should buy into refractors startedon a few guys like ivan nova but i dont feel like spending money that i didnt make selling cards on cards but yes i hope i make money soon as i see he is hitting like .325! hopefully i beat the overhype

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
I can sell you the next Nolan Ryan and Albert Pujols -- Trevor Cahill and Chris Davis

Cheap!!

hehe just kidding, but there is a point there :)

Members online

Latest posts