Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Ryan Braun underrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Does his attitude, team, playing in the same division as Pujols and the fact that everyone is so concerned about where Prince is going this/next year make him underrated this year?

I have him for the NL "MVP-So-Far", which means nothing, admittedly.

Thoughts?

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I checked his numbers and was shocked to see how insane they are. I would definitely call him underrated, doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
It's interesting how the media/fans have been drawn to Longoria, when really, they have put up quite similar numbers over the last two years, and arguably Braun has put up better numbers.

Kind of like the Lemieux v. Gretzky thing.

Longoria just has "it", and I don't know if Braun is ever going to get "it", no matter how productive he is. The hobby and fans just haven't jumped on his wagon yet, and I don't know if they ever will.

Braun has the Hanley syndrome.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
definately one of the best players in the game right now, sold his bc base auto for 200, couldnt pass it up

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Braun is at a point where Miguel Cabrera is (possibly where Miggy was a year ago or so.) His numbers for the early part of his career are in line with some historic names, but the question now is if he will be able to improve as he enters his peak. Miggy (before this year) has not been able to, and he's gone from projecting as an all time great to simply a great player (though this year might be the turning point for him.) If Braun had lift his game (like he has done to this point this season) we could be looking at someone truly special and then his prices could take a big time jump. If he levels off he'll still be a really solid player and (if he continues what he's done for another 10-15 years) a HOFer. If he ups his game though....

(And his prices are all over the place right now.)

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
brouthercard said:
It's interesting how the media/fans have been drawn to Longoria, when really, they have put up quite similar numbers over the last two years, and arguably Braun has put up better numbers.

Longoria just has "it", and I don't know if Braun is ever going to get "it", no matter how productive he is. The hobby and fans just haven't jumped on his wagon yet, and I don't know if they ever will.

A few things you've overlooked in this comparison:

1) Longoria was the best player on a World Series team and thus became a household name.

2) Longo plays elite level defense at a tough position. Braun was moved off 3B early in his career and plays below average defense at the weakest position on the field, LF.

3) The offensive stats are comparable but if you look side-by-side at arguably the most important stat, WAR (Wins Above Replacement), it's not even close.

Longo is the superior player at this point. He may have "it" but only because he is more than deserving.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Ryan Braun is the 2nd best hitter in baseball right now IMO. Obviously, I think he is vastly underrated.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
chompsmcgee said:
brouthercard said:

A few things you've overlooked in this comparison:

1) Longoria was the best player on a World Series team and thus became a household name.

2) Longo plays elite level defense at a tough position. Braun was moved off 3B early in his career and plays below average defense at the weakest position on the field, LF.

3) The offensive stats are comparable but if you look side-by-side at arguably the most important stat, WAR (Wins Above Replacement), it's not even close.

Longo is the superior player at this point. He may have "it" but only because he is more than deserving.

You've forgotten something: all the matters to collector's is offense (for a hitter).

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Anthony K. said:
You've forgotten something: all the matters to collector's is offense (for a hitter).

Ohhhhhhhhhh, so that's why Starlin Castro cards are going through the roof.

And that Derek Jeter guy seems to sell well without ever hitting 25 homers.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
chompsmcgee said:
Anthony K. said:

He should amend that to say 'after the initial hype dies.'

The reason people care about defense early is because they don't know otherwise. Baseball publications will hype a player up and consider defense when they do so. However, most prospectors and collectors don't really compute that defense is part of the hype.

As for Jeter, his selling prices are hardly a result of defense.

Basically, a player gains a following because of A) Nationally televised games (playoffs incl.) and B) Fantasy Baseball Statistics - HR/R/RBI/SB/AVG and where they rank compared to their counterparts.

Defense, after a couple years, doesn't matter.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
pigskincardboard said:
He should amend that to say 'after the initial hype dies.'

The reason people care about defense early is because they don't know otherwise. Baseball publications will hype a player up and consider defense when they do so. However, most prospectors and collectors don't really compute that defense is part of the hype.

As for Jeter, his selling prices are hardly a result of defense.

Basically, a player gains a following because of A) Nationally televised games (playoffs incl.) and B) Fantasy Baseball Statistics - HR/R/RBI/SB/AVG and where they rank compared to their counterparts.

Defense, after a couple years, doesn't matter.

That's neat and all but I wasn't looking for an explanation of why those guys sell well. I'm already aware, but thanks for your two cents.

The topic of this post was "is Ryan Braun underrated?". No mention by the OP of what collectors care about or card prices. I realize this is a baseball card forum but now people are taking things out of context.

I was replying to a post about a comparison between Braun vs Longoria. Longoria > Braun in baseball and baseball cards. You don't need to qualify your collectors expertise to me!

Your arguments to my posts are moot. They have nothing to do with the OPs question.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
IMO top HITTERS:
1. Pujols
2. Hanley
3. Braun

Does he get that love/attention no-underrated.

I am hoping sandoval can eventually be a top 10 hitter :p

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
chompsmcgee said:
Anthony K. said:

Of course, you're post is aimed at trying to "demean" my statement, by I am going to answer both of those for you:

Castro did hit a home run and have 6 RBI's in his first game. Oh, wow, that's offensive production, huh?

Jeter has been a Yankee mainstay since their dominant run in the late 90's and has been considered one of the best SS in the game since then. He is the captain of the team, face of the franchise and statistically puts up very solid numbers across the board. Oh, and, you know, the whole Yankees hype helps him quite a bit too. NOT to mention he has had 10 or more home runs and stolen bases every season since he became a regular, he will get hit number 3,000 next season and is a career .317 hitter. Oh look, more offensive production. We all know Jeter is not known for his defensive prowess (and please do not bring up the game versus the Athletics, as that is ONE game).

Amazing what the stats tell us, huh? But I guess I just don't know what I am talking about.

Damn.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
chompsmcgee said:

I can see that point 3 was only brought up so you could make your last statement, which is exactly why I asked the question in the first place. If you want to delve into WAR and VORP and other statistics that use theoretical players as the basis for the arguement, that's fine. I would say that you are drastically overstating YOUR comparision when you say Longo is SUPERIOR to Braun. The fact is, as the total player, in an arguement that must weight defense to balance out offense, I'd give the slight edge to Longo. But if I have to have one guy's AB at any one point in time, I'll take Braun.

Members online

Latest posts