Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did Anyone Notice This?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I hope the gun was correct, because if so, that's amazing.

Sorry if this was posted already.

[youtube:1vxsj3j0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5190tM6ovM[/youtube:1vxsj3j0]

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
One thing to think about (and this isnt meant to put Stras down):

I've spoken with a few former major leaguer's about the radar gun and their efficiency.

All of them have consensed that usually, the radar gun is higher for the home team's pitcher because it mentally messes with the opposing team to see the pitcher throwing heat.

While I believe Stras can/did hit 103, it wouldnt surprise me if the gun was elevated by 2-3mph.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
with all the posts and it being stras, of course it was wrong. It was really 301 mph

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
oh and he sure as heck didnt hit 103 in the 7th. i was keeping a close eye on the radar and he only hit 99 a handfull of times in the 6th and 7th. he was staying consistanly at 96-98 in those innings.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Have you guys ever heard of Joel Zumaya?

He's been hitting 103 on guns for years now.

And again, who knows if it was actually accurate, but at a spring training game two years ago, he hit (I kid you not)107 on one pitch.

Not to take away anything from Strasburg though, you can probably count the number of guys who have ever thrown that hard on one hand.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Have you guys ever heard of Joel Zumaya?

He's been hitting 103 on guns for years now.

And again, who knows if it was actually accurate, but at a spring training game two years ago, he hit (I kid you not)107 on one pitch.

Not to take away anything from Strasburg though, you can probably count the number of guys who have ever thrown that hard on one hand.

Then again, Zumaya don't have the movement that Stras has. And it's just like Tim Kurkjian said, with major league hitters it's all about timing. They could catch up to a bullet if they had to. It's the secondary stuff (which should be called primary as accurately described by Kurkjian again) when mixed with that velocity that is the nutty part.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
the great closer of all time "Shiggy" once hit 127mph... with a slider !!
now thats sick. I bet he could still do that in his sleep if he wasnt an author now.
all hail the Shiggymonst! :D

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Just throwing this out there about velocity: The 103 MPH was at the release point. By the time the ball got to the plate, it was probably 99 MPH. A pitch typically slows down 4 mph in 60 ft 6 inches. No MLB stadium gun or scout gun picks up the ball when it reaches the plate. They did in the old days. Mark McGwire teed off a Randy Johnson fastabll at the Kingdome in one game and launced it 532 feet. The radar gun said 103 mph. Baseball Prospectus had a great article about this two months ago.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
moxacaine said:
oh and he sure as heck didnt hit 103 in the 7th. i was keeping a close eye on the radar and he only hit 99 a handfull of times in the 6th and 7th. he was staying consistanly at 96-98 in those innings.
He really was , they just wanted to keep it a secert. :lol: So they showed it in house as only 99 :D

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Actually Fox Sports has a radar that tell how fast it left the hand and what the speed was at the plate. It also tells you how much break was in the pitch.

I have no clue if this has already been tried but couldn't they use some sort of doppler radar system similar to Golf Launch monitors? Those things can tell you how many times the ball is rotating the swing speed, angle etc....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts