Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Big Ben Still Big Drinking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
::facepalm:: . Now I am a fan of drinking myself, and have no problem with anybody wanting to go out and have a good time...but this just seems like a bad thing to say. I realize that just because he'll be drinking doesn't mean that he'll make bad decisions in the process, but he could. I'm sure we've all done something stupid while we were drunk (for those of you who do drink). He's hoping to have a reduced suspension, and it just seems like this will not help his case when Commodore Goodell reviews his case to make a decision.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-mistake/

Earlier this week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger began the long, difficult process of reconnecting with Pittsburgh fans by making one important but unexpected step -- giving access to the Pittsburgh media. Closer review of the contents of Roethlisberger's interview illustrates the risk of talking publicly prior to the league office's proclamation of final judgment as to whether his six-game suspension will be reduced, or expanded.

Specifically, after everything he has endured over the past year, Roethlisberger is not yet prepared to swear off drinking alcohol.

"Moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself," Roethlisberger said during his recent interview. "You can't stop living, but you gotta live smarter."

Though we're not privy to the specific restrictions that the league has placed on Roethlisberger, it's fairly safe to assume that the NFL hasn't issued a "thou shalt not" mandate regarding beer and other boozes. (Then again, that would require an assumption that Roethlisberger isn't a complete and total idiot, an assumption that many may not regard as safe.)

Even if the league has imposed no alcohol ban on Big Ben, he can't dispute that he has shown bad judgment, or that alcohol impairs judgment -- especially the ability to judge whether or not more alcohol should be consumed. So why would he entrust himself to "make right decisions" after drinking something that tends to impede that process?

If he truly intends to make a commitment to steer clear of any and all trouble, he'd avoid consuming anything that could cause lead him directly toward it. The fact that he doesn't get that makes us wonder whether he still doesn't "get it."

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I agree with you - a guy should be able to have a few drinks, but with the microscope he is going to be under and possibly his career on the line, it might be a good idea to lay off it a bit and if he can't there may be a problem.

Or really I guess it's fine to keep drinking - just for his sake and Steelers fans - hopefully he's smart enough to do it at his own house or private parties with friends. Sure he can throw or have thrown great parties for him where there's a certain amount of control and some privacy. At this point if he hasn't realized Celeb with a target, alcohol, cameras, girls, drunks, night club, etc. can lead to potential situations beyond your control......then maybe he hasn't learned anything.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
rymflaherty said:
I agree with you - a guy should be able to have a few drinks, but with the microscope he is going to be under and possibly his career on the line, it might be a good idea to lay off it a bit and if he can't there may be a problem.

Or really I guess it's fine to keep drinking - just for his sake and Steelers fans - hopefully he's smart enough to do it at his own house or private parties with friends. Sure he can throw or have thrown great parties for him where there's a certain amount of control and some privacy. At this point if he hasn't realized Celeb with a target, alcohol, cameras, girls, drunks, night club, etc. can lead to potential situations beyond your control......then maybe he hasn't learned anything.

I 100% agree, he's a public figure and needs to be careful about his actions in front of the general public. In the privacy of his own home or private parties is another thing but even then camera phones have ruined alot of folks.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
You can drink and not get drunk though. I drink every once in a while, but I haven't been drunk in quite some time now. It depends on how much he is drinking, that's my only concern.

dfr52

Aug 10, 2008
mstng99tim said:
You can drink and not get drunk though. I drink every once in a while, but I haven't been drunk in quite some time now. It depends on how much he is drinking, that's my only concern.

I 100% agree w/ you but for the sake of his image it might be best that he's not seen drinking at all in public places.

Members online

Latest posts