Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Highs and lows of UD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
This may be about some crazy Basketball card finds but we all can relate, regardless of the sport.

THE HIGHS:
1. Yesterday, a customer bought a pack of 09/10 SP Sig Edition and got a dual auto /23 of LeBron and Jordan.

2. Today another customer bought a pack and got a quad auto /10 of Garnett, Kobe, LeBron and Jordan.

THE LOW:
Despite all four players being UD spokemen, both cards were redemptions out of packs with an orig. srp of $50-$60

Still, better a redemption than a donyell marshall auto (which someone got).

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
High- Derek jeter Auto out of a single pack or Series 1 (2007 I think)
Low- Bought a box of series one ( 2008 or 2009) And got 0 hits.
Low- Bought a box of SP Authentic (2008) shorted me of by the letter :(

Post 2006 Upper Deck sucks.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
High...Tiger Woods AU RC out of 5th pack of 01 SPA
Walter Peyton AU Jersey out of 9th back of 99 black diamond
MJ/Lebron dual auto out of one box of Trilogy
Hitting Gold Box in 06 Exquisite FB

Low...Sending in a Joe Dimaggio autograph poster redemption and getting back 5 packs of 05 SPA

then riding Upper Deck's @)*(#@) every day for 3 years and finally getting:

Michael Jordan Autographed Wizards Jersey.

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
techboy42004 said:

08 SPA is awesome. so is 08 Masterpieces..
theres a few more that everyone seems to enjoy.,
just because they died didnt mean they suck. only thing topps had on them was 1 product + not breaking balls on redemptions.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
IMO truly epic cards are better off as redemptions, redemptions are a way to guard against shenanigans.

I just would expect the cards would be shipped immediately... :|

011873 said:
This may be about some crazy Basketball card finds but we all can relate, regardless of the sport.

THE HIGHS:
1. Yesterday, a customer bought a pack of 09/10 SP Sig Edition and got a dual auto /23 of LeBron and Jordan.

2. Today another customer bought a pack and got a quad auto /10 of Garnett, Kobe, LeBron and Jordan.

THE LOW:
Despite all four players being UD spokemen, both cards were redemptions out of packs with an orig. srp of $50-$60

Still, better a redemption than a donyell marshall auto (which someone got).

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
donrusscrusademan said:
techboy42004 said:

08 SPA is awesome. so is 08 Masterpieces..
theres a few more that everyone seems to enjoy.,
just because they died didnt mean they suck. only thing topps had on them was 1 product + not breaking balls on redemptions.

Alright there was 3 good products, Masterpieces, SPA, and Ballpark... All others sucked.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Low: Bringing back the Fleer brand especially the junk I got from a box of 2006 Fleer basketball. The hits were Dee Brown (2nd rounder from the draft and no longer in the league) jersey card, autograph Alex Acker (last player taken in the 2005 draft), and James Donaldson Fleer 86 card. The worst box ever that it left a bad taste in my mouth and never bought another Fleer brand name again. So much for trying chase that Jordan rookie card.

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
High- pulling a 6 way auto of Kobe, Bynum, Odom, KG, Pierce, Rondo out of UD black #d 08/10 (one of the best basketball products ever made with all on card auto's)
Low - Oh wait, the nice multi auto cards were stickers in that set ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Low (but also kinda funny) - Pulling a James Augustine "by the numbers" auto representing career points (at the time the card was printed augustine had 2 career points) that is right, a card made to honor 2 career points...
Low - pretty much all replacements for redemptions they don't follow through on making...
EDIT: found a pic, not mine...
scan0001-2.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Am I the only one who now actually really wants a James Augustine '2 points' card? One could make the case that he is the most successful basketball player in history, in one sense.

According to basketball-reference.com, he scored 42 points in his time in the NBA, and was paid $1,100,174. That's $26,194.62 per point. I'm saying he throws in the 33 rebounds for free. Conversely, or Nikely, Michael Jordan made about $3800 per point in his career (his salary info is incomplete). Talking about maximizing ROI, Augustine put all his energy into growing to 6' 10", not so much in the actual through-hoop-ball-putting. Congratulations, James.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I actually forgot about my highs.

High: 2008 Series 2 Stars and Stripes, I only broke 1 box but I liked the jersey cards and the USA cards (I was visiting my grandma in the hospital and most of the cards, including th Fukudome rc fell off the chair/couch thingy I was sitting on and dinged all top left corners... so sadly that is why the jersey card got damaged...)

High: UD used to run a promotion for kids a few years ago and I got in since I could and they had a points redemption program. Used it to nab 3 game used baseballs, 2-4 (I can't remember) Garret Anderson signed baseballs... and 2 Vlad auto'd baseballs which at the time booked for about $150 a apiece.

High: Also with the redemption program, they inserted cards in packs that had a code on them to redeem for spins in a game to get jersey cards. I won 2 while the promo was still going. They didn't ship super fast but they were in GREAT condition, numbered, and in a taped toploader.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
"Low...Sending in a Joe Dimaggio autograph poster redemption and getting back 5 packs of 05 SPA" -Quote

One of my highs was that i bought a redemption for a poster at the same time as a close friend. He recieved a UD Authentics Giambi auto and i called UD right then. I told them i was buying cases UD sp (not lying to them) and boxes of ultimate and had both autos just missing the Ichiro. I also told them i would take a Bonds auto. A few weeks later i got a package from UD and it was a Bonds auto /50 or 100 or so. Underneath it was an Ichiro Ultimate auto rc. :shock: That was about a tie with -

One time i needed to sell a graded Mantle (like 67 in a psa 4 or so) to get $ for a bill. I needed 50 mim. and went to a flea market type card shop 45 min west of me and was hoping for $100 cash and a few packs of 2002 Bowman's best. They were $25 a pack at the time. Well the owner gives me some spheil about how he is low on funds. So i ask him to give me $50 in cash and a box of 2002 Sp authentic. About an hour later i am ripping some packs and i come across something different. I was looking at the back of the redemption and it looked like just one of those make your own card b.s. things but when i turn it over i see yadda yadda Sosa auto. So i am like cool i guess its a Sammy Sosa auto. Then i am looking in the beckett and the only one thats listed as Authentic Excellance was not just a Sosa auto but a 6 player auto with Ichiro, Mcgwire, Sosa, Ripken, Griffey, and Giambi(?). It was #d /25 and a booklet card that opened up. I give credit to UD for getting it to me in a couple of months. I listed it on the bay for a 10 day auction and within a few hours i get an email asking what i would take for it. I recieved a check for $3000.00 on Christmass Eve on 02. It was a merry Xmas. I Do not have a scan of the card. I could dig up a crappy polaroid for the scan or banners.

02sosa.png

Low - Most of the boxes i opened up from UD (early 2000s sp Spx etc.) had beyond Garbage Rcs. Too many 4th 5th year rookies with Uber crappy checklists.

Jul 30, 2009
Heres a pesonal high: Couple years back, got a redemption card from SP for a Kerry Wood auto letterman. Wasnt too thrilled with it and basically tossed it to the side.

Later on, I noticed it was about to expire and figured might as well redeem it. When I did so, I was told the card wasnt fulfilled and to call UD for replacement.

Called them and when asked who do I collect/like, I jokingly said "Mantle, DiMaggio, Jeter". They sent me a DiMaggio jersey card.

Heres a totally insane one, but from 1999 (happened to a customer):
Customer got an auto redemption of Teemu Sellane which UD couldnt fulfilled. So they sent him a a GRETZKY AUTO as replacement.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Low:pulling redemptions for autos of Jeter,Pujols,Griffey and Ripken from various products.

High:Selling them without having to go through the redemption process.

High:pulling the Gehrig cut in my sig.I had purchased 3 boxes that day and pulled a Bob Lemon cut,Joe Carter auto and the Gehrig.I also found out the our child we were expecting was going to be a girl the same day.Talk about one hell of a day.I have debated selling the Gehrig a few times but I am pretty sure I am keeping my daughter :D .

Members online

Latest posts