Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fun Poll question: Kenny Lofton

Would Kenny Lofton make the HOF?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I believe those that stick with one team their entire career and are borderline HOF, will eventually get in (this is why I believe Jeff Bagwell WILL get in)

I think MOST of us here would say Kenny Lofton will not make the Hall of Fame, and I agree. Let's have some fun though....

If you were to keep the SAME exact stats (playoffs and all) for Lofton, yet you had to imagine he won ONE World Series and his ENTIRE career was spent with the Indians...

Would you put him in the HOF?

Nothing about his accomplishments, rewards, milestones, stats have changed. The only things that have changed is he spent his entire career with Cleveland instead of playing for TWELVE different teams and he has won a WS ring.

Try to think outside the box here!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think the comparison with Bagwell (in regards to HOF election) will work, even within the new parameters set up for Lofton's "mythical" career.

While Lofton's career numbers put him in the discussion, they fall clearly to me on the "no" end.

Also, World Series rings (to me) are virtually meaningless in baseball HOF discussion. Baseball is perhaps the sport where championships mean the least because an individual has so little an impact.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
When Lofton was a Phillie, I was at a businessman's special game sitting out in center field in the small porch off to the left of the garden.

There were a bunch of South Philly goons sitting in the section with Shunk Pizza and wife beater shirts on....I'll never forget that. :lol: Anyway Lofton mis plays a ball and it bounces off the wall and he scrambles for it, runs score.....terrible. So one of these guys call him a stupid n****r and of course he whips his head around. At the end of the inning, I don't know why, he comes to the wall and starts yelling at these guys. They precede to throw more racial and profane insults at him.

Now in these days, the stadium was a little sparser that it is now. There was 8 or so of them, sitting in a few rows, staggered, kind of a circle with their feet up, lounging. So of course he tells security and five or so minutes later, security kicks them out, along with me and my buddy who were kind of mixed in. We argued that we had nothing to do with these guys, didn't help. :x I was embarrassed to be a Philadelphian that day.

Answer to your question, no.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Lofton has the same chance of making the hall playing for 12 teams as he would for either 30 or 0 teams. He was a very good player for several years but he's just not that caliber.

Bagwell, OTOH, was a tremendous hitter for a solid decade plus a couple years. True, he is probably borderline HOF (he should make it IMHO) but 1 hat versus a dozen doesn't enter into it when comparing HOF credentials between Lofton and Bagwell.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Edgar Martinez was better. Edgar spent his entire career with one team. And Edgar's having issues getting in...Lofton, no.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
My first refractor ever was a Lofton '96 Topps Chrome I pulled from a pharmacy. I didn't even know what refractors were at the time, but was impressed with the card :)

Being similar players, Lofton had about as much hype and popularity in 1996 as Jose Reyes had a year or so ago, although Lofton broke into the bigs at a later age than Reyes. Lofton never led the league in a positive offensive category after 1996, hopefully the same won't happen with Reyes after '08.

While he'll get consideration for a few years he'll fall off the ballot eventually, just like Tim Raines will.

descott77

Dec 4, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
sadly i have to say that i honestly think lofton will not make the hall of fame...i would love nothing more than to see his name in with the greats but it just isnt going to happen...he needed at least one world series ring to have a real shot and came close a few times

he is my favorite player because he played the game the right way, always knew what to do in order to help his team, and had a great attitude toward media...but clearly being a nice guy and playing the game right doesnt lead to the hall

Members online

Latest posts