Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

EBAY BUYERS - Contact the seller FIRST if you have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Ugh, especially now that ebay counts all disputes opened against you as a negative on your account.

I was contacted by a potential buyer 3 days before the auction ended asking me what the condition of the card was. I replied "the card is in nm-mt condition." In fact, if I was to send the card in to any respectable grading company, it would have gotten an 8 (which is nm-mt).

This particular buyer ended up winning the card, paying right away and received the card 3 days after he paid. On the day he received it, he opens a not as described dispute and sends a message through ebay stating: "you really should have mentioned that the card was barely in near mint condition with some surface scratches and some white showing on a corner. I will return for a refund."

I can deal with the fact that some buyers are more picky than others and I've learned to live with it. You can't please everyone. But to mark on the dispute that he previously contacted me and that I didn't respond, WTF. I have 100% feedback on 2500+ transactions for a reason. I know some of you on here like to assume the worst of sellers but sometimes you have to make an attempt to let the seller make things right.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
ebay will soon chase most casual sellers away. there feedback system, dsr's is a joke. more and more buyers use the system to cheat the seller. which will mean less choices down the road for the buyers. every day on here you see a ebay rant thread. its getting worse.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I think the problem here, and in most cases like this is when someone hears 'nm-mt', they are thinking "oh, it's damn near a MINT copy". As a seller you can not assume everyone knows the technical definition of hobby jargen, and further more understanding your audience and 'speaking their language' is a valuable and important part of proper communication. If I were someone thinking I was getting a 'near MINT' card and received a card scrathed up, I too would want a refund. And I suppose you could argue this all day long, and I somewhat expect you to, but as a seller it's more important to describe the actual card and not attribute some acronistic label to it that could, and does, get taken out of context. Tthis is why most people these days do not include a specific industry labeled condition, and rather describe the card, including all flaws when listing.

The bottom line is that if you told someone they should expect a nm-mt card, and they are expecting a 'near MINT' card(excluding hobby terms), then as the seller you have to assume responsability for not understanding how to properly communicate with your buyer. Like it or not, just ask yourself this. If when you were asked the condition of the card, and you told the potential buyer that "the card was barely in near mint condition with some surface scratches and some white showing on a corner", would this situation have come about? Do you think avoiding a proper description and simply said "nm-mt" helped get the card sold? If one or both of your answers are yes, then you have to reconsider who actually needs to learn something here.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
matfanofold said:
I think the problem here, and in most cases like this is when someone hears 'nm-mt', they are thinking "oh, it's damn near a MINT copy". As a seller you can not assume everyone knows the technical definition of hobby jargen, and further more understanding your audience and 'speaking their language' is a valuable and important part of proper communication. If I were someone thinking I was getting a 'near MINT' card and received a card scrathed up, I too would want a refund. And I suppose you could argue this all day long, and I somewhat expect you to, but as a seller it's more important to describe the actual card and not attribute some acronistic label to it that could, and does, get taken out of context. Tthis is why most people these days do not include a specific industry labeled condition, and rather describe the card, including all flaws when listing.

The bottom line is that if you told someone they should expect a nm-mt card, and they are expecting a 'near MINT' card(excluding hobby terms), then as the seller you have to assume responsability for not understanding how to properly communicate with your buyer. Like it or not, just ask yourself this. If when you were asked the condition of the card, and you told the potential buyer that "the card was barely in near mint condition with some surface scratches and some white showing on a corner", would this situation have come about? Do you think avoiding a proper description and simply said "nm-mt" helped get the card sold? If one or both of your answers are yes, then you have to reconsider who actually needs to learn something here.

I understand where you're coming from but I think this is more likely a case of a guy who thought he might get something that he could grade and make a quick flip on and realized that wasn't going to happen. He's got 6000+ feedback and only deals in cards so I think he knows the difference between nm-mt and "near MINT." If it was someone who had less than 100 feedback or if he had asked about specific attributes of the condition, I would have done a better job describing the card. Heck, if my "nm-mt" wasn't satisfactory, he could have responded asking for more details than just bidding and filing a dispute. The bottom line is no matter what, he should have contacted me before filing the case. I could care less if he was dissatisfied and wanted to return the card.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
ThoseBackPages said:
Jeff, what ever became of the PSA9 Griffey Ref debacle?

I told him he could send it back for a refund and haven't heard from him since. It's been 4 days now. Sounds like he was fishing for that partial refund.

Members online

Latest posts