Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage Set Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
I am new to the boards and I could use some input on a set I am putting together.

I am currently putting together a 1954 Topps set together. I have a Willie Mays that I got graded at the National a couple years back as a PSA 6.5. I have picked up about 40 more non graded cards that are in EXMT to NM condition. I picked them up from very reputable vintage dealers at card shows, so I am not concerned wether they are trimmed or doctored in any way. I am looking to buy some more off of ebay that are already graded. My question is wether it would be better to purchase only 6.5's considering I already have one of the bigger stars graded 6.5 or if it matters if the set has various grades (6.5, 7, 7.5)? I know it is my collection so I should complete the set anyway I want to, but I would appreciate any input by some of the board members who are also putting vintage sets together. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I would not limit yourself to only 6.5's

If you plan to have the raw cards graded, I would recommend pre-grading them yourself and then comparing the results when they come back.

If you are worried about the PSA Registry, then the grading "weights" will be very important. A "3" of Joe Schmoe will not hurt the overall set, but a "3" of a star (or a short print) will hurt the overall grade of the set. (Think "degree of difficulty" in platfrom diving.)

The bottom line is...it is your set. Do your research and then enjoy the quest.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
The population of 6.5 cards won't be nearly enough for you to easily complete a set in just that grade. The half grade rating is fairly new. I would work on the the set in 6, 6.5 and 7 if it were me.

Members online

Latest posts