Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP The Voice of God

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
probably one of the 5 classiest men to live in the last 50 years, and im not saying that cus im a yankee fan. Bob Sheppard had 0 enemies and was loved by everyone. very sad news.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wonder if the Yankees completed the Bob Shepperd voice project so future yankees can be introduced by "him".

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
BigAppleJak said:
I still get goosebumps when he introduces Jeter....
Have had this on my desk for years:
bobshep.jpg

Very nice! I have a small stock pile of his base cards but I've always wanted his auto for my PC. I sent a TTM request but it was RTS.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
What made him a great man? I mean, I liked his voice, too, but how do people know he wasn't a complete dick?

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
smapdi said:
What made him a great man? I mean, I liked his voice, too, but how do people know he wasn't a complete dick?

Oh here is an idea smap, wake up on a Sunday morning and do the biggest ****** thing you can think of, oh never mind you already did it.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
smapdi said:

I'd imagine there have been a lot of interviews and features over the years that one can get a sense of what he was like. If not, I'm sure there will be friends coming out of the woodwork in the next few days to talk to the media as the media do stories about his life.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I heard that they are going to play his voice for when Jeter walks in.

Not to bright on Stadium announcers, but he sounded like a great man. RIP

I am still missing Bob Casey, who I had the privelige of listening to in my younger years.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
I heard that they are going to play his voice for when Jeter walks in.

Not to bright on Stadium announcers, but he sounded like a great man. RIP

I am still missing Bob Casey, who I had the privelige of listening to in my younger years.

Jeter's been using a recording of his voice for a few years now. I think the story is that Sheppard missed one game for whatever reason, and Jeter said that he only never wanted to be announced by anyone else at home again.

And, seriously, smapdi? Have a little respect.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Only Yankee employee in the more than 35 years of George Steinbrenner's ownership who was never threatened with being fired by the Boss. However, he did come close. In a game against the Toronto Blue Jays in September of 1985, Steinbrenner became infuriated after a guest singer named Mary O'Dowd butchered the Canadian national anthem, and the next day arranged for an apology to be announced to the citizens of Canada. Sheppard was having dinner in the Stadium press room when the call came down from Steinbrenner's secretary that his presence was required in the owner's office upstairs.

"Tell him I'll be up as soon as I finish my dinner," Sheppard said.

When informed of Sheppard's response, Steinbrenner was taken aback.

"Doesn't he know who owns this team?" he bellowed.

About 15 minutes later, Sheppard arrived in Steinbrenner's office, took his seat to the right of the Yankee boss at the big round table, and handed him a piece of paper on which he'd written his own version of the apology. Steinbrenner, who had already drafted a three-page statement, citing the Canadians for, among other things, their help in the U.S. hostage crisis in Iran, perused the one Sheppard had written and said: "Okay, that's fine, but I want to add some other things."

"I don't think that would be a good idea," Sheppard said, to Steinbrenner's further astonishment. "It should be succinct."

"I must say," Sheppard told me one of the last times we talked on the phone, "in all the years with George, he never yelled at me or had a cross word with me or tried to force some announcement on me that I didn't think appropriate."

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
To Pills:

Ahh, I just heard something about it at the 08 AS game.

Yeah those stadium announcers miss like 1-2 games every 10 years, if that...

To championMan:

I never realized that Steinbrenner was such a hard@$$.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
TBTwinsFan said:
To Pills:

Ahh, I just heard something about it at the 08 AS game.

Yeah those stadium announcers miss like 1-2 games every 10 years, if that...

Bob did the PA work for the Football Giants from 1956 to 2006, and for the Yankees from 1951 to 2007.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
The Yankees' lineup for Sheppard's first game on April 17, 1951, included DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Johnny Mize, Yogi Berra, and Phil Rizzuto. And the opponents that day, the Boston Red Sox, were led by Ted Williams.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Great article the yankees have on the site about him. Remember the 1st time I heard him at a game, Very surreal moment, Was lucky enough to hear him say names of some of the greats at old timer games. A sad lose indeed for a lot of people, He was a institution in this game. Like Mel Allen, Vin Scully, Harry Carey, Harry Kalis and the countless guys who add that much to the game.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/art ... -146957316

Members online

Latest posts