Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospecting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagsfan92

Jul 14, 2010
Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and am pretty interested in prospecting. My question was if you could make a nice flip buying a player's Bowman or Bowman Chrome rookie along with just basic refractors. I know many people have very nice prospect stashes but at this time I don't have enough to put into that type of collection.

Thanks for the help.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
jagsfan92 said:
Hi everyone,
I am new to the site and am pretty interested in prospecting. My question was if you could make a nice flip buying a player's Bowman or Bowman Chrome rookie along with just basic refractors. I know many people have very nice prospect stashes but at this time I don't have enough to put into that type of collection.

Thanks for the help.

You can make a good flip on anything, just have to buy and sell at the right time or find a killer deal others have missed. Base Refractors sell better but unless we're talking Strasburg / Harper here, they really don't sell for that much. If your Bowman Chrome rookie is Autographed it also makes a huge difference. Or whether they have any other cards as well.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
most prospectors dont go after the supers or reds unless they can strike a great deal on it. there is just less money to be made on the lower numbered, higher end stuff in the long run

jagsfan92

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for the tips guys. Do you guys mainly just choose players based on what you see in person and read about them in Baseball America type sites?

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I sent you a PM. Read it.

Also, as gilmore said, it's more of who you buy. Yes, certain things can limit growth potential for a card (like when the player has a base chrome but then an autoed chrome a year later), but if the player is right, you'll see profit on all cards assuming you buy and sell at the right time.

Ant

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I just put up an article about something similar to this on my blog (the banner in my signature is a link to it) and the second half of it which will be up later today, is pretty much a direct answer to your question. Check it out if you're interested.

jagsfan92

Jul 14, 2010
Thanks a lot everybody. I checked out the blog and it was very helpful. Now I am probably going to start looking at what players will fit my budget as of now. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to drop me a PM or post here.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
jagsfan92 said:
Thanks a lot everybody. I checked out the blog and it was very helpful. Now I am probably going to start looking at what players will fit my budget as of now. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to drop me a PM or post here.

I highly suggest picking up the 2010 edition of Baseball America Prospect Handbook. Lots of names, lots of scouting reports and a great way to get started in picking the players you will be prospecting.

GOOD LUCK! :D

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
The easiest way to start prospecting is to read everything you can. Read multiple sites, not a single one of them is gospel. There are a ton of knowledgeable out there, soak in the information everywhere you can.

Don't be in a hurry to start spending right away. A great deal of Prospectors first attempts fail badly, they start spending before they make a knowledgeable choice. Also, spread your money between at least a handful of players.

A very easy way to start is to look at BA's top 100 prospect list. Who is too cheap based on their ranking? That "easy" way of prospecing turned me onto buying a bunch of carlos santana this last year, and I more than doubled my money on them.

As I said, take your time, don't rush to spend your money, make an informed decision.

Good Luck

skrip

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
If someone is undervalued, like massively under-valued, just buy whatever.

But if you're looking at lower end stuff, remember this:

You buy a card for $10. It has to get to at least 10 + 3 (shipping) + .30 + 2% (paypal) + 9% or basically 16 bucks. You're basically talking about 30 bucks to get a 100% ROI.

When shipping is a 1/3rd of your initial investment, you're generally in for some trouble.

Members online

Latest posts