Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top Prospects to start 2011 who's the new #1 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
With Dom brown graduated, its time for a new #1 prospect in baseball. I'll post B.A.'s mid season top 25 list below.

Since this list was created, Montero has been on a tear, perhaps changing people's mind about whether he's improved offensively or not.

Considering he's DESTROYING AAA at age 20, i think he is the #1 over Mike Trout who's Destroyed low A ball at age 18 (and who is now struggling at just .238 in High A) .

I also think he jumps Hellickson & Jennings, who've been very good.

Top 25 Midseason Prospects

1. Domonic Brown, of, Phillies (Triple-A Lehigh Valley): The power has come through as the Phillies predicted, as Brown has started to fill out at age 22 and surpassed his career home runs total in his first 65 games at Double-A Reading. Then he went out and hit four in his first 13 games after a promotion to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He ranks 10th in the minors in OPS, and he's doing it with big tools at upper levels. His still-raw defensive skills (his defensive tools are fine) are his only major flaw.

2. Mike Trout, of, Angels (Low Class A Cedar Rapids): Trout hasn't done much wrong. He ranked first in the minors in runs (74), second in batting (.362) and stolen bases (42), was tied for fourth in on-base percentage (.447) and ranks first in scouts' enthusiasm. Trout hasn't committed an error, plays hard and seems to be thriving rather than shrinking from the grind.

3. Desmond Jennings, of, Rays (Triple-A Durham): Spring shoulder and wrist injuries kept Jennings behind early, and he didn't hit his first home run until June 29. That said, he heated up in June (.353/.407/.549), has the tools to be an above-average defender in center field and has the tools to be an impact leadoff hitter (including 20-for-22 stolen bases this year).

4. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp, Rays (Triple-A Durham): Jennings' teammate at Durham has had a better year and is a safer bet but has a bit lower ceiling. Hellickson has improved his two-seamer and added a cutter this season to complement his 91-92 mph four-seam fastball, which he commands well, and his plus changeup. "The only question was the life on his fastball," one scout said, "and now he's really got that two-seamer working. He's a sure-bet No. 3 starter and probably more of a future No. 2."

5. Jesus Montero, c/dh, Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre): Montero hasn't improved this year, and for some he hasn't impressed. After generating positive defensive trends and reports at the end of 2009 at Double-A Trenton, Montero has convinced scouts this year that he won't be a long-term catcher. He was leading the International League with 12 passed balls and was getting run on at will—87 attempts in 63 games, throwing out 19 (22 percent). He's experiencing his first adversity offensively, but scouts are confident his bat will still be strong.

6. Julio Teheran, rhp, Braves (High Class A Myrtle Beach): Teheran has the highest upside of any pitcher in the minors currently, with a clean, power arm that produces consistent mid-90s heat, and he throws a lot of strikes. Teheran already has exceeded his career high in innings, so his second half may not be as impressive as his first.

7. Dustin Ackley, 2b, Mariners (Double-A West Tenn): Ackley had a brutal April, and his defense has a ways to go (see Prospect Pulse, Page 18). But he's pushed his OBP over .380 and is starting to find the gaps.

8. Martin Perez, lhp, Rangers (Double-A Frisco): The counting numbers (3-4, 5.46) aren't great. The ratios (9.5 K/9 IP, 1.80 groundout/flyout ratio) are better, as is his repertoire (three pitches all above-average at times) and age (just 19).

9. Aaron Hicks, of, Twins (Low Class A Beloit): Hicks remains projection over production at this point. The tools (plus-plus arm strength and defense, plus speed and raw power) are too loud to ignore, and his willingness to take a walk is a strong positive sign.

10. Zach Britton, lhp, Orioles (Triple-A Norfolk): Scouts would like to see a better changeup; right now, his is below-average. But his turbo sinker, touching 94 mph, is the minors' best (3.68 groundout/airout ratio), and his slider is pushing into above-average territory.

11. Michael Pineda, rhp, Mariners (Triple-A Tacoma): No pitcher in the minors has more buzz than Pineda, whose fastball recently reached 98 mph and has consistently sat around 95 this season. He has honed his cutter into a power, low-80s slider, and his changeup remains above-average. He's a big-bodied power pitcher with stuff and results (10-1, 2.25 overall this season, 9.75 K/9 IP). His only negative is his health history, as elbow soreness limited him in 2009.

12. Mike Moustakas, 3b, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas): His run at a Texas League triple crown stems from legitimate pull power, a short, powerful stroke and excellent makeup. Moustakas has had a big bounceback year offensively, and some scouts think he can stay at third base as well. "It's a legit 70 arm," one AL scout said, "and he works hard at it over there. In a few years, he may lose some athleticism and have to move. But right now, he's a solid-average third baseman."

13. Eric Hosmer, 1b, Royals (High Class A Wilmington): Last season was a lost one for Hosmer between eye issues and a hand injury. This season, he's the guy the Royals picked third overall in 2008, with premium offensive tools. His .353 average ranked sixth in the minors (just behind Moustakas), and he's tied for ninth in doubles (26). Expect many of those to become homers as he leaves Wilmington's cavernous park behind.

14. Aroldis Chapman, lhp, Reds (Triple-A Louisville): Chapman was almost a legend before he ever put on a uniform. Now we know his velocity is real—he hit 103 mph in a late-June relief outing on the BA Stalker radar gun—and that he's still raw, with mechanical issues to iron out. His ceiling remains prodigious, but he's no Stephen Strasburg. Not yet anyway.

15. Brett Lawrie, 2b, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville): Just 20, Lawrie was leading the Southern League in hits (102), extra-base hits (39), triples (11) and total bases (164). He's a well-rounded, aggressive offensive player who remains indifferent defensively. Some reports also indicate his throwing arm has declined, meaning he may be more of a left fielder than a right fielder if he has to move off the dirt.

16. Logan Morrison, 1b, Marlins (Triple-A New Orleans): Like Jennings, a shoulder injury slowed Morrison this season, and his power has taken a bit of a hit as a result. But he's as polished a hitter as there is in the minors, with gap power and excellent plate discipline (36-27 BB-K ratio).

17. Simon Castro, rhp, Padres (Double-A San Antonio): Physical (listed 6-foot-5, 210 pounds). Consistent (one start less than five innings all season). Tough to hit (.208 average against led the Texas League). Castro isn't a big name, but he's accomplished and keeps getting better.

18. Mike Montgomery, lhp, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas): Before being sidelined by forearm tightness, Montgomery was in the running for "top pitching prospect" honors. He's a lefty with a mid-90s fastball, mid-80s change with fade and improved curveball.

19. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b, Indians (Double-A Akron): Chisenhall hasn't lit the world on fire at Double-A, but scouts still believe in his swing. He's athletic and a solid defender who needs to improve against lefthanded pitching (.224). It would be a surprise if he didn't develop into at least a solid-average regular, but he may fall short of stardom.

20. Freddie Freeman, 1b, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett): The youngest player in the International League had a hot June (.923 OPS), allaying fears he couldn't make adjustments against advanced pitching. He's not far from being ready to join roommate Jason Heyward in the Braves' lineup.

21. Tyler Matzek, lhp, Rockies (Low Class A Asheville): The Rockies have handled Matzek with care this season, and he hasn't quite rounded into the summer 2009 form that saw him touch 98 mph with his fastball. He's been more in the 88-92 mph range this season, but he does it easily and has a potential four-pitch mix.

22. Kyle Gibson, rhp, Twins (Double-A New Britain): Gibson edges out fellow 2009 college draftees Mike Minor (Braves) and Alex White (Indians) for his ability to dominate off a two-seam fastball that peaks at 93 mph. His slider gives him a swing-and-miss pitch, and he's improved his changeup, a must for Twins farmhands.

23. Kyle Drabek, rhp, Blue Jays (Double-A New Hampshire): Drabek's strikeouts are down, perhaps due in part to a slight dip in velocity, as he's sitting 90-91 according to some reports. His curveball remains plus, and his changeup has become average. A July 4 no-hitter hinted at his potential.

24. Casey Kelly, rhp, Red Sox (Double-A Portland): Kelly's stuff has been fine, with a fastball showing increased velocity (up to 95 mph) and power on his upper-70s curveball. The 20-year-old also has found pitching in Double-A (1-4, 5.45, 63/28 SO/BB in 68 IP) much tougher than A-ball.

25. Tanner Scheppers, rhp, Rangers (Triple-A Oklahoma City): Few minor leaguers have an arm as good as Scheppers, whose fastball regularly reaches 98 mph in short stints. His slider has plus potential as well. He's looking more like a reliever, though, struggling a bit while getting stretched out since his promotion to Triple-A.

Prospects 26-50 (in alphabetical order): Chris Carter, 1b, Athletics; Jared Cosart, rhp, Phillies; Travis d'Arnaud, c, Blue Jays; Randall Delgado, rhp, Braves; Christian Friedrich, lhp, Rockies; Dee Gordon, ss, Dodgers; Grant Green, ss, Athletics; Brett Jackson, of, Cubs; John Lamb, lhp, Royals; Jordan Lyles, rhp, Astros; Ethan Martin, rhp, Dodgers; Shelby Miller, rhp, Cardinals; Mike Minor, lhp, Braves; Wil Myers, c, Royals; Wilson Ramos, c, Twins; Austin Romine, c, Yankees; Wilin Rosario, c, Rockies; Tony Sanchez, c, Pirates; Jonathan Singleton, 1b, Phillies; Jacob Turner, rhp, Tigers; Arodys Vizcaino, rhp, Braves; Brett Wallace, 1b, Blue Jays; Zach Wheeler, rhp, Giants; Alex White, rhp, Indians; Chris Withrow, rhp, Dodgers.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Re: Top 25 Prospects to start 2011 who's the new #1 ?

Ummmmm, no. It's Trout.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008

Jaypers said:
Ummmmm, no. It's Trout.

Trout has 15 strikeouts in 16 games since being promoted to a 'hitters league'

Batting .238, .200 in his last 10

1 xtra base hit and 1 rbi in his last 10

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

I went with Montero as #1 when I put together a mock top 10 the other day.

People in the prospecting world seem to be very forgetful. Let's remember he's 20 in Triple-A. Let's remember that his power is an 80 on the scout scale. Let's remember what he has done to this point in his career.

Trout is right up there, but I'm going with the guy who is closer to the Majors, has achieved more to this point, and has 35+ yearly homerun potential.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Mudcatsfan said:
Jaypers said:
Ummmmm, no. It's Trout.

I basically think the adjustment period is completely random when switching leagues. I mean, it takes me at least 5 days to get over freakin' Jet-Lag. Also, I hear California is nicer than Iowa. How terrific would it be if his downfall was women, and the only thing keeping him out of trouble was Iowa. Now in Rancho Cochawhatever, he went wild with the ladies...

he is from new jersey, which is basically sleeze-ball heaven, right?

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008

soccerman034 said:
Pretty much the same post: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/v ... =2&t=99239

As for my answer; Bryce Harper (if eligible), Desmond Jennings, or Mike Trout.

I figured there must have been a post liek this with Dom's promotion, i searched 4 pages back and didn't see it.

Feel free to ignore if this has been thoroughly hashed out.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I went with Montero as #1 when I put together a mock top 10 the other day.

People in the prospecting world seem to be very forgetful. Let's remember he's 20 in Triple-A. Let's remember that his power is an 80 on the scout scale. Let's remember what he has done to this point in his career.

Trout is right up there, but I'm going with the guy who is closer to the Majors, has achieved more to this point, and has 35+ yearly homerun potential.

...and could close down an "all you can eat" pancake parlor in 20 minutes.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

Mudcatsfan said:
Jaypers said:
Ummmmm, no. It's Trout.

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday, but smaller fields and thin, dry air don't make it easier to hit good pitching.

Power numbers may be affected, but making contact in the CAL is no easier than it is in any other league.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

Mudcatsfan said:
soccerman034 said:
Pretty much the same post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99239

I figured there must have been a post liek this with Dom's promotion, i searched 4 pages back and didn't see it.

Top 10 has been discussed a bit, but the "Who is #1?" debate has not.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008

The point of my thread was that in reading the thought process of how they rank prospects, when things are close, they always take the guy who's done it at the higher level.
So considering Montero has recently shown that he has AAA figured out, i think his offensive game trumps Trout's overall skills that so far have only succeded at LOW A.

And its important to note, that how people close the season will heavily influence the list. It right now appears Montero is closing INSANELY strong, and Trout is struggling.

From the article:

"Trout has the loudest tools in the game outside the major leagues," the scout said. "He's physical and strong, he's an easy 80 runner (on the 20-80 scale), and his speed will hold up. He's dynamic, the power's for real, the athleticism . . .

"But, (Domonic) Brown and (Desmond) Jennings are doing it in Triple-A. There's a real big difference for me between doing it at that level, against those pitchers, and doing it in A-ball, and those guys have real good tools too."

That explains the top of our list. We also went for the Triple-A player with results and upside as our top pitcher, with Rays righthander Jeremy Hellickson getting the nod over harder-throwing Braves righty Julio Teheran

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Mudcatsfan said:
soccerman034 said:
Pretty much the same post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99239

Didn't mean my response to come off like it had already been discussed, just adding 2 more pages of info to the fire :)

My really question is, where will Manny Machado, Jameson Taillon, and Bryce Harper rank in the top 100? Am I right in assuming that those three are the only top 100 talent from this past years draft?

yankeesfan24

Mudcatsfan said:
The point of my thread was that in reading the thought process of how they rank prospects, when things are close, they always take the guy who's done it at the higher level.
So considering Montero has recently shown that he has AAA figured out, i think his offensive game trumps Trout's overall skills that so far have only succeded at LOW A.

And its important to note, that how people close the season will heavily influence the list. It right now appears Montero is closing INSANELY strong, and Trout is struggling.

From the article:

"Trout has the loudest tools in the game outside the major leagues," the scout said. "He's physical and strong, he's an easy 80 runner (on the 20-80 scale), and his speed will hold up. He's dynamic, the power's for real, the athleticism . . .

"But, (Domonic) Brown and (Desmond) Jennings are doing it in Triple-A. There's a real big difference for me between doing it at that level, against those pitchers, and doing it in A-ball, and those guys have real good tools too."

That explains the top of our list. We also went for the Triple-A player with results and upside as our top pitcher, with Rays righthander Jeremy Hellickson getting the nod over harder-throwing Braves righty Julio Teheran
Jennings and Hellickson will LIKELY both be called up this year...

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Trout. He's 18 and took apart the Midwest League, maybe the toughest hitting league in the minors. More than that, though, is the fact that there's not one thing he doesn't seem to do above average and people rave about his makeup. If one part of his game falters, he can still make an impact in other ways. Montero, if he's not a beast offensively, then his value takes a big hit. Besides, you can't ding Trout for his early struggles in the Cal League while trumpeting Montero's recent greatness in the International League, because it discounts what Trout did over a longer period of time in a tougher league, while dismissing Montero's early struggles.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Mudcatsfan said:
Jaypers said:
Ummmmm, no. It's Trout.

As compared to Montero's entire first half?

I'll say it yet again - Trout struggled in April, then got in a groove since and hasn't looked back.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
If we're worried about sample sizes, why don't we view the overall body of work each prospect has put up.

Montero's career shows he dominated every level, including AAA at 20, while 'catching'.

Trout had a spectacular debut in Low A.

(i think this is and will be a fun debate as the season closes out)

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I'll even go so far as to say this.

By default, if Trout was #2 and Dom is in the Bigs, than Trout is the #1..........HOWEVER, Trout has struggled since then, and Montero has gone insane.

Has Montero closed the gap from #5 to #2 where Trout was,,,,,perhaps not even yet.

But if the final month goes the way the last month has,,,,,,,i believe he will.

Because he's done it for the last 4 years, & because he's done it at higher levels.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
For me, Montero because he is simply the best prospect in the minors. Stats are great and all, but they don't tell the whole story. Having said that, Montero won't top BA's list IMO.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

yankeesfan24 said:
Mudcatsfan said:

From the article:

Jennings and Hellickson will LIKELY both be called up this year...

The question isn't whether or not they'll be called up, it's whether or not they'll get the required innings. Even with Hellickson making a start, I don't know if he gets to the limit.

Members online

Latest posts