Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

National Show Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Went to the National with Josh (Trademhigh) for Fri-Sun. Left early Friday morning at like 7 AM to not miss Friday's show. We got there by 12, and when I walked in, I was stunned at how big the place was. The first half of the room was practically ALL Vintage. If you like Vintage, the National is for you. Prospectors should pretty much stay away aside from the few tables, which not coincidentally were run by FCB'ers.

I don't remember exactly what I got and in what order, but cracked a bunch of boxes.

1 Razor Legends of the Game - $200, pulled a 62 Topps Ed Matthews PSA 8 card. Luckily for me, Moxacaine collects the set so I sold that to him, needless to say that was a bust of a box.

1 Razor Cut Sig - $75, Pulled a Billie Dove (Silent Film star) Auto /24, nothing great.

Also did 08 Elite, best card was a Vance Worley AU /50.

Picked up some random autos in some cheap bins including a Beltran UD Authentics Auto, Swisher Materpieces Auto, Liriano Stadium Club Auto, and Steve Carlton Stamps /100 Auto. Again, nothing major.

Got 2 balls for my Au'ed Ball collection including a Greg Maddux PSA 9.5, and a Mike Schmidt Ball, happy with those 2 purchases.

The best part of the show was meeting a ton of guys from FCB. Met most of the staff, Gilmo, Bouwob, Mox, Blanning, Phillyphan, etc. Great group of guys and definitely ran a great booth. Hopefully it brings some big traffic to the site.

Saw a bunch of box breaks, did one or two on camera as well for the chat if you saw.

Missed the Tazawa signing, but Chris was nice enough to give me a mini auto /50. Bought a copy of the Bullpen Gospels and got Dirk to sign the book, with his amazing drawing, as well as on an FCB Mini AU /50. Dirk was a cool guy and very funny for sure.

Also so many other FCB'ers walking around, as well as some set up, like Randy Shields, who is a great guy too. I nearly bought a sweet Mantle piece from him, that I still want!

Overall, the show was overwhelming, but no amazing deals were apparent. Anything that was good was likely gone the first day, nd many dealers justified high prices with high costs. Which is fair, but some prices were 4-5x or even more than what an item should get. I wouldn't go back really unless it was held in NY, but it was still a fun time, since we were able to go to 2 O's games and had some sweet seats.

Thanks for the long read
Tom

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Oh and I forgot, Josh and I waited today for once and got a Strasburg promo. We already both sold ours on eBay for 74.99 BIN. We were into them for 13.00 and an hour of time, so not too bad! That was the highlight card wise for me haha.

Members online