Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you pay for Prospecting Blog?

Would you pay for a prospecting blog?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
If there was an often updated prospecting blog run by a successful and well known prospector to this board (not me)....would you pay for it?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jeff N. said:
If there was an often updated prospecting blog run by a successful and well known prospector to this board (not me)....would you pay for it?

Not sure of the type of content that the blog would have, but I have tried to start something like this (a blog that actually discusses investing in prospect baseball cards) because I don't think it exists. I've been a successful prospector and to the best of my knowledge, everything I post is accurate. I post at least a couple times a week, if not more.

I'll throw some ads up which may help to cover costs if they get a few clicks here and there, but I don't think charging people is the way to go for a site like this. It's a tight enough niche already that I'd rather take more regular traffic than make a few bucks off people but only have 25 readers.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="Jeff N.":ujue44et]If there was an often updated prospecting blog run by a successful and well known prospector to this board (not me)....would you pay for it?

Not sure of the type of content that the blog would have, but I have tried to start something like this (a blog that actually discusses investing in prospect baseball cards) because I don't think it exists. I've been a successful prospector and to the best of my knowledge, everything I post is accurate. I post at least a couple times a week, if not more.

I'll throw some ads up which may help to cover costs if they get a few clicks here and there, but I don't think charging people is the way to go for a site like this. It's a tight enough niche already that I'd rather take more regular traffic than make a few bucks off people but only have 25 readers.[/quote:ujue44et]
Props here. He does a great job and provides a good read for free.Keep it up!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Honestly, no. There is enough out there for free, such as chatting with others who are known for successful prospecting, and sites run by people such as ALL_THE_HYPE above. With so much available on the internet already, the hard task of drawing in hits is even harder since they'd have to pay for service.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I'd say no, just do the work, read MILB.com and if need be spend the subscription money on Baseball America.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I would pay $25 for one hand of blackjack, but I wouldn't pay even a $1 a month for someone's prospecting blog :lol: , especially when I can get it for free on FCB, ie who are people hyping next.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just to piggyback onto Jeff's question, would anyone pay for an annual list of top prospects per organization?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
For the record, if there was another site that provided card investing info like I try to do, I'd be willing to pay a buck or two per month to check it out.

I don't need the info of course, as I've been plenty successful on my own, but I always like to see other people's thought processes and investing strategies so I'd find something like that interesting as long as it was reasonably priced.

I think it's good to get someone else's perspective every now and then. It's best to do your own research and follow your own instincts, but every now and then, I like to hear the way another prospector sees a situation/prospect/investment opportunity/etc.

If you're talking about just a prospect site not relating to cards, Baseball America has to be the way to go. If the online subscription is too much for you, buy the annual book for $20-$30 because it is one of the best tools in the prospecting game.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
I think we need quite a bit more detail. What exactly would you pay for/what would you blog about? More recycled articles about players performing well and call-ups would be a waste of space IMO. As others have said, BA has all the statistical/scouting report stuff. All The Hype's blog does an excellent job of covering the basics. If there was some in depth analysis of the prospecting market/players that I saw profitable for my ventures then I could see it.

I might be more attracted if it gave me access to a "premium community", where prospectors could talk about players/sleepers without fear of the information being public. To have the opportunity to collaborate on some large scale group research projects would be cool as well.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I would pay for a website that offered this:

1) Graphs of completed Ebay sales for ANY particular prospect card, separated by whether sale was BIN, Auction, or Best Offer. Another category would have to be established for auctions with horrible titles or funky start/end times that could affect what the end value would be. This graph would have to stay UPDATED. A true current value of any particular card based on sales and trending.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, no offense but I don't really look at anybody here as worthy of my money in that regard.

I do well enough on my own.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Just to piggyback onto Jeff's question, would anyone pay for an annual list of top prospects per organization?
BA's is really the only list that people care about. Why pay for another. Go with the real scouts.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
It depends.

What type of prospector are they? Are they the guy who buys the top 5 guys b/c BA hypes them + when omg, look Strasburg sold for $500, they say ‘yay, I’m a great prospector’?…or are they the guy who finds the ‘hidden gems’ BEFORE everyone + their baby mama? I may pay for prospector #2, but I don’t see the point in paying for prospector #1’s ‘talents’

Would the person provide tips about what he is buying BEFORE he’s acquired his stash or would it merely be a ‘pump + dump’ type of blog like so many stock blogs/boards were during the .com hype?

Would the person provide tips to help advanced prospectors? So many prospect blogs seem to recite the same old clichés- don’t invest in pitchers, buy low, sell high, buy when a guy’s on a great streak blah blah, duh, a 5 yo could figure that out + I’m not paying for ‘prospecting 101/prospecting for dummies.’

Would the person talk about their losses + give real time, accurate #s? So many prospectors act like they’re God/gifted when in reality, they overpay + make small profits + often have larger losses.

Would the information be substantially different than the many free resources available?

Would the blog go beyond ‘yay, bowman chrome, buy blingy superfractors for mega moneyz?’

Frankly, I’ve yet to find any blog that’s worth paying for b/c no matter how good some prospectors think they are, most aren't all that fantastic + most get their 'talents' from bid-stalking others, following BA like sheep + 'profit' by pimping guys on message boards.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
To make this a genuine worthwhile venture it would require a staff of writers, one person can not do the research that would make this worth while. They would just be repeating what others who had done the research themselves had done. Unless you have seen the players, you are just recycling info from others.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
There are two separate ideas being discussed here.

1. A prospecting blog as in a blog about investing in prospect baseball cards.

2. A prospect blog as in a blog more about the actual players rather than the card aspect.

The latter of the two already exists many times over, but the former (as far as I know) does not. I'd be much more interested to see more blogs about prospecting than a blog about prospects--which inevitably would be just another grain of sand on the beach because there are already so many.

Members online

Latest posts