Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Big shoutout to Brian Gray!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I promised to give Brian a nice feedback post, so here it is.

Brian came to my booth and was pleasant, courteous, and a total Class Act! He dropped fine $$ on many of my best graded cards which will end up in the Razor Retro product. Pretty cool me thinks.

Thank you BG. It was a pleasure to meet you in person rather than just in cyberspace. Good Luck with the product and the new Leaf business adventure as well!!! :D

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Randy Shields said:
I promised to give Brian a nice feedback post, so here it is.

Brian came to my booth and was pleasant, courteous, and a total Class Act! He dropped fine $$ on many of my best graded cards which will end up in the Razor Retro product. Pretty cool me thinks.

Thank you BG. It was a pleasure to meet you in person rather than just in cyberspace. Good Luck with the product and the new Leaf business adventure as well!!! :D

What did he buy?

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Yeah, he's buying them for his "silent partner" that now owns razor.

Youd think that if he really wasnt a part of Razor like he says he isn't anymore he would have left the rest of that product to be taken care of however supposedly runs Razor now.

Sounds like double dipping to me.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Jeff N. said:
Ya'll can throw the hate out there, but you know you're gonna buy the rookie repackaged stuff.
Im not. Too expensive and not my thing. I'll hate all I want.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
bmc398 said:

Youd think that if he really wasnt a part of Razor like he says he isn't anymore he would have left the rest of that product to be taken care of however supposedly runs Razor now.

Looks like someone hasn't been listening.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
So your saying I can save a boatload of cash and buy from you direct.....
Let's cut out the middle man....

Why pay $250 for a pack when I can buy a graded Monte Irvin from you for $25.

SWEET! ;)

Exactly. He's going to make a killing on this product. It's like he's trying to convert the scratch off ticket fiends with every release. "My products are like lotto tickets, except at least with these, you always get something in return guaranteed" That should be the marketing slogan for Razor. They'll be some good pulls from this product, but I'm going to laugh at anyone who buys this for MSRP. If he couldn't obtain the cards for cheaper than Razor is selling them, the product wouldn't exist. Probably the exact reason why he wants his name disassociated with Razor.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
cgilmo said:
bmc398 said:

Looks like someone hasn't been listening.

There are a lot of different insider takes on it. I don't want to sound like a hater, because I like what Razor/Leaf did with the non-baseball stuff for the most part but for all the talk of BG being a great businessman his roundabout explanation of what went down and his relaunch of Razor leaves a lot to be desired. Its all just a bunch of title passing, when in actuality he still owns Razor AND the Leaf brand.

Really, I don't care....but just because BG tells you its one thing doesn't mean its not really the other.

My point is: If you want to distance yourself from the Razor name, why are you on the floor of the national telling people you are buying inventory for Razor product?

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
bmc398 said:
cgilmo said:
bmc398 said:

Youd think that if he really wasnt a part of Razor like he says.......

Looks like someone hasn't been listening.....

There are a lot of different insider takes on it. I don't want to sound like...

Brian made it clear to everyone that he would continue with this Razor Rookie Retro venture, and see it through.

Also, with regards to the 'lotto' comparison being made in this thread..... Well, the hobby in no small part has evolved in to just that, a lottery. What percentage of buyers today that bust wax(by the box or case) do you think are hoping/wishing for that big pull to make money? What percentage do you think do not care about a return? If you honestly believe that one of thoes numbers does not dwarf the other, your kidding yourself.

A point you ask? Well here it is. The hobby it'self has turned in to a lotto expierence for the vast majority of 'collectors'. And it was only a matter of time before someone had the vision to embrace this notion and put it in to full effect without any sugar coating. I can tell you this, if there was no need, no demand for a product like this, then it would not be made/offered. If there is anyone/anything to get upset about, it's all the 'hobbiest' who cherrish the 'flip' more than the collection part of the hobby. They are the ones who created the need/demand, and so let it be.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
bmc398 said:
Jeff N. said:
Ya'll can throw the hate out there, but you know you're gonna buy the rookie repackaged stuff.

You can "Hate" all you want, BUT this is MY post thanking Brian and giving him the shoutout I had promised him so I'll ask you to please excuse yourself from my post and take your hate somewhere else but not here.

Have you ever met Brian? Ever talked to him in person? I didn't think so.

Have some manners for goodness sake. And this goes for anyone else who feels the need to crack on Brain, Razor, or anything related as such.

matfanofold -Great post. To the point and well spoken.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
matfanofold said:
bmc398 said:
cgilmo said:
bmc398 said:

Youd think that if he really wasnt a part of Razor like he says.......

Looks like someone hasn't been listening.....

There are a lot of different insider takes on it. I don't want to sound like...

Brian made it clear to everyone that he would continue with this Razor Rookie Retro venture, and see it through.

Also, with regards to the 'lotto' comparison being made in this thread..... Well, the hobby in no small part has evolved in to just that, a lottery. What percentage of buyers today that bust wax(by the box or case) do you think are hoping/wishing for that big pull to make money? What percentage do you think do not care about a return? If you honestly believe that one of thoes numbers does not dwarf the other, your kidding yourself.

A point you ask? Well here it is. The hobby it'self has turned in to a lotto expierence for the vast majority of 'collectors'. And it was only a matter of time before someone had the vision to embrace this notion and put it in to full effect without any sugar coating. I can tell you this, if there was no need, no demand for a product like this, then it would not be made/offered. If there is anyone/anything to get upset about, it's all the 'hobbiest' who cherrish the 'flip' more than the collection part of the hobby. They are the ones who created the need/demand, and so let it be.

I say we kick their asses. LOL

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Randy Shields said:
bmc398 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3o2jyyel]Ya'll can throw the hate out there, but you know you're gonna buy the rookie repackaged stuff.

You can "Hate" all you want, BUT this is MY post thanking Brian and giving him the shoutout I had promised him so I'll ask you to please excuse yourself from my post and take your hate somewhere else but not here.

Have some manners for goodness sake. And this goes for anyone else who feels the need to crack on Brain, Razor, or anything related as such.

matfanofold -Great post. To the point and well spoken.[/quote:3o2jyyel]

I've spoken with him for a couple hours on the phone. Nice enough guy, I just dont agree with his business moves and the timing of most of them. Thats all. Don't say one thing and then do another.

In the video he says hes completly done with Razor and then a minute later he says hes supporting the products. Pick one and stick with it.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Randy Shields said:
bmc398 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3l3ncjoe]Ya'll can throw the hate out there, but you know you're gonna buy the rookie repackaged stuff.

matfanofold -Great post. To the point and well spoken.[/quote:3l3ncjoe]

No offense, but half the people in the U.S. hate the President, and I guarantee that a fraction of a fraction of one percent have actually met him.

Having said that, I totally agree that this thread is not meant to be a forum for flaming.

It is pretty cool that he bought some cards from you for the Razor Retro product. It reminds me of when ThePit first started and Mike Jaspersen was buying up all the PSA 9 Topps Chrome Larry Hughes rookies he could from me for $30 each! Those aren't worth a quarter now. LOL.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Randy Shields said:
bmc398 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":6bdz02uq]Ya'll can throw the hate out there, but you know you're gonna buy the rookie repackaged stuff.

matfanofold -Great post. To the point and well spoken.[/quote:6bdz02uq]
Easy to say thanks when he just lined your pockets. Sounds more like you got paid to give a shout out and in a subtle way pimp his last release ever under the Razor name.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Randy Shields said:

matfanofold -Great post. To the point and well spoken.

Yes how dare they, dont they know this forum isnt for discussions yet only to praise people who took their ball and ran.

I have to agree it is an open forum for public speech...
Do I hate Razor, no. Do I like their baseball products, no. Do I like their other products, yes. So I am not a "hater" for hate sake. I don't like the lottery products. Tri-Star does it with their hidden treasures baseballs. Do I think I am going to hit the Mantle or Williams auto ball? No. But you do get an OMLB baseball autographed by a decent (well know player) for $40. Price of a ball, auto, etc.. and every "pack" gets close to if not more than 1/2 the sale price. With the Razor products you drop $250+ and get a $25 common. That I have a problem with, and will state my opinion on an open forum. You know they say... "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" If Brian bought $3000 of my cards I would give him a shout out, a big I love you, and Razor rocks too! But again everyone has an opinion on the whole thing and will state it. That's what makes this board great, you get to hear many opinions and sides. Sometimes your eyes are opened to different things and you change your opinion. I stated in an earlier post that blue screen names seem to love Razor, and black names hate. Then their are black names that get a nice discount on his product and can make more profit so they love it too. If Brian gave me a great price on his products and I could turn around a sell them for a good profit I would love Razor too. It all comes down to "what does it do for me". And there lies the rub......and multitude of opinions....

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Let's get too overboard about who loves and who hates Razor...it's very much not a Blue/Black issue.

Brian knows that not all moderators/staff like Razor and at least two currently in blue have been highly critical since day one when Razor appeared here, myself included.

What I get tired with is the stale, regurgitated vomit launching that all Razor topics entail. It's so tiresome. If people want to break new ground, I'm all for it...and Brian is too probably. But saying the same complaints over and over again makes people seem like they have some bizarre form of Razor Tourette's where the afflicted can only spout the same few phrases about Razor over and over again.

It's hilarious that people can't move on. Razor's products weren't for everybody...neither are Press Pass, In the Game, Topps, Upper Deck, Panini, etc. Brian initially got crucified for muddying the prospect waters, then a few admitted errors regarding follow-up products, and then secondary market prices on the higher end graded/slabbed cut or card products.

Did he make some bad decisions? He'd be the first to admit.

Did Brian by things from Randy simply to get a "shoutout"? Absolutely not. He has plenty of people to give him a shoutout without dropping a dime.

Latest posts