Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Step by Step on how to do ebates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
I've got an account but I haven't used it yet so kinda new... If someone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Brian

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
You can do eBates if you want but I'd highly suggest Big Crumbs over it. Just click on the link in my signature if you're interested. Let me know if I can help out at all.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Zan said:
I've got an account but I haven't used it yet so kinda new... If someone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Brian

Go to their main page. Click on the "ebates on ebay" button on the lower left. And bid on something. You'll get your cash back once you win.

It will open ebay in a new tab/screen, just make sure you stay in that screen, and you'll get your cashback.

It's just that easy! :mrgreen:

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
DWright5 said:
Zan said:

Thanks.

Brian

Go to their main page. Click on the "ebates on ebay" button on the lower left. And bid on something. You'll get your cash back once you win.

It will open ebay in a new tab/screen, just make sure you stay in that screen, and you'll get your cashback.

It's just that easy! :mrgreen:

^^ This Zan.... That Easy!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Q: What rebate program should I use?

A: If I'm not mistaken, eBates returns a percentage of the sale price of the item, while Big Crumbs returns 36% of the listing fees + final value fees and also a small amount of your first tier referrals' FVFs.

A good rule of thumb, for auctions only, an item ending between $550 and $600, or less (it's an estimate, because listing fees differ between current promotions, etc.), will be better served by using Big Crumbs.

Because Final Value Fees top off at $50 on auctions, there is basically a cap to the amount of money to be made using Big Crumbs for auctions, the values above reflect that.

In terms of Fixed Price, or BIN, listings, the fees structure is a bit crazy. You're looking at an average of approximately 5.1% FVF for the first $500 of a fixed price listing: with Big Crumbs, you'd see a return of $9.18, plus 36% of the listing fee; with eBates, you'd see more like $15.00. Basically, any BIN item over $60 or so dollars is better earned using eBates.

--------------------------

With all of that said, I've never seen this broken down before, but this is the way I make my decision on which rebate program to use.

If any of you experts disagree with my logic, please post it and correct my misguidance.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
schillingfan said:
autocut said:
I do more BINs than auctions which is why I use eBates.

You still get cash back with Big Crumbs. I've gotten cash back with Big Crumbs with normal auctions, BINs, and BOs.

If you read my post above, I explain why eBates will save you more money on most BINs of any value.

I use both, depending on what I'm buying, to maximize my return.

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
BunchOBull said:
schillingfan said:
autocut said:
I do more BINs than auctions which is why I use eBates.

You still get cash back with Big Crumbs. I've gotten cash back with Big Crumbs with normal auctions, BINs, and BOs.

If you read my post above, I explain why eBates will save you more money on most BINs of any value.

I use both, depending on what I'm buying, to maximize my return.

Yeah. I edited my post right after I posted it. Still not awake yet. Great break down though.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
BunchOBull said:
Q: What rebate program should I use?

A: If I'm not mistaken, eBates returns a percentage of the sale price of the item, while Big Crumbs returns 36% of the listing fees + final value fees and also a small amount of your first tier referrals' FVFs.

A good rule of thumb, for auctions only, an item ending between $550 and $600, or less (it's an estimate, because listing fees differ between current promotions, etc.), will be better served by using Big Crumbs.

Because Final Value Fees top off at $50 on auctions, there is basically a cap to the amount of money to be made using Big Crumbs for auctions, the values above reflect that.

In terms of Fixed Price, or BIN, listings, the fees structure is a bit crazy. You're looking at an average of approximately 5.1% FVF for the first $500 of a fixed price listing: with Big Crumbs, you'd see a return of $9.18, plus 36% of the listing fee; with eBates, you'd see more like $15.00. Basically, any BIN item over $60 or so dollars is better earned using eBates.

--------------------------

With all of that said, I've never seen this broken down before, but this is the way I make my decision on which rebate program to use.

If any of you experts disagree with my logic, please post it and correct my misguidance.
Is this supposed to be $60 or $600?

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Also is there a max FVF for buy it now items?

I'm looking at an ebay fees calculator and I put in $2000 BIN and it shows fees of $83.50
and IF ebates gives 2% of a $2000 item then its worth it but doesn't ebates say for ebay, 1% to 3% cash back? so it depends how much they give back...

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
$60.

FVFs on a BIN item are 8% for the first $50, 5% for the next $950, and I think 2% for each $100 after that.

36% of 8% is less than the 3% eBates offers, the saving grace is the percentage of the small listing fee.

After $50 or $60, the listing fee percentage isn't enough to make up for the straight 3% you'd get on eBates.

-------

What is important to note is that eBates sometimes only gives 2%. That throws in a whole other value set and makes eBates and Big Crumbs virtually equal in terms of a BIN item. I tend to choose eBates in that case though, because it can be higher, or will be at least as good.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Casebusters said:
Also is there a max FVF for buy it now items?

The tricky part is when items fall over $1000. It slides the calculation a bit, also what's being listied changes the FVF for the first $50; however, not enough for there is be a major difference in return on high dollar items.

As far as I know there is no max for fixed priced items.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
This is for sports cards for fixed priced items....
Selling Price All Other Categories
$0.01–$50.00 12.0% of the closing value
$50.01–$1,000.00 12.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the remaining closing value balance ($50.01–$1,000.00)
Equal to or over $1,000.01 12.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 6.0% of the next $50.01– $1,000.00, plus 2% of the remaining to closing value balance ($1,000.01–closing value)

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yeah, so you see the initial shift of a few points for the first $50 on those listings, might shift the value added up to $70-80 on a BIN listing. The higher you go, it rapidly dwindles.

edited to add:

Doing the math, with that structure, $125ish is the cut off point for BIN Big Crumbs if eBates is at 3% ($185ish at 2%), if you're buying sports cards.

My largest purchases haven't been sports cards though, so it will be valuable for everyone who uses rebates to look at the fee structure for the item listed and do the math.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts