Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need Some Help With an Eric Chavez Game Used Jersey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
I have never purchased anything game used other than an autographed bat so I am definitely out of my element here. I know a lot of collectors here collect memorabilia so I am hoping that at least a couple people have some useful insight. My first impression regarding this jersey and the transaction in general are all good but before I send any type of payment I just wanted to check in here.

According to the LOA/COA it is a 1999 jersey but doesn't mention anything about it being autographed. Is it common practice with team LOA/COA to not mention autographs? The signature (although low quality) does match his 1999-2000 signature. Also would would be a fair price (ballpark) I just want to make sure I am not way overpaying. Also any general comments welcome as well regarding the jersey and or auto.

Front:
Chavez3.jpg

Back:
Chavez1.jpg

Close Up:
Chavez2.jpg

Some Comparable Autos All from 1999-2000 Releases
1999Stadium.jpg1999Ultra.jpg2000FlGamers.jpg2000Spx.jpg

Tag:
Chavez4.jpg

COA:
Chavez5.jpg

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I am not an expert on gu jerseys but here are the things I noticed. First I am not sure that the term "gamer" was used back in 1999 thats more lingo that has become popular in the last few years. Secondly I dont like how the term 99 gamer is darker then the autograph giving the appearance it was signed later than the autograph itself, its like his name is a bit streaky or faded and all of a sudden when writing 99 gamer all of a sudden he put pen pressure?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Can you show a pic of the wash tag inside? that really determines if its a gamer or not.
Also, the 99 Gamer can be darker as its a deliberate inscription, which is written more slowly than a signature, which will make it darker.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3: Thank you for your observations.

GarkoCollector: I just requsted a photo of the inside of the tags. What would determine whether or not this is game used regarding the tags?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
EricChavezCollector3 said:

GarkoCollector: I just requsted a photo of the inside of the tags. What would determine whether or not this is game used regarding the tags?

Wash tags have codes in them that determines if its a replica, an authentic or a game issue jersey

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
GarkoCollector said:

Wash tags have codes in them that determines if its a replica, an authentic or a game issue jersey

Garko is correct, the Twins jerseys have tagging like this
Player #, Size, Year for Cuddyer

IMG00719-20100131-2047.jpg

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
GarkoCollector said:

Yeah, that will help you out quite a bit. Also, check how the stitching is around the numbers, lettering, logos etc.

I wouldnt be as concerned with the darkness of the word "gamer". My assumption is that the pen pressure is heavier for him when printing as it is when he is quickly signing something (which the sig dates nicely but looks quick).

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
GarkoCollector said:

Yep if a jersey is game used/issued it should have a 0062 on the wash tag.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
Zambrano38: Thanks, you were actually the first one to come to mind regarding memorabilia. Your site and input have been very helpful. I am waiting for the photos, hopefully everything checks out.

Anyone have any ideas what this should run me? Is there a "price guide" type thing for game used that reflect actual prices? There haven't been any on ebay for quite some time

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
The jersey is most likely team issued, not sure about game used though. The reason I believe to be atleast team issued it the 1" extra length tag on next to the laundry tag at the bottom. Players ask for certain adjustments to the regular jersey cuts and those changes are listed on the tags so the equipment managers know which jerseys to use. This Van Landingham gamer of mine has a similar tag, and I have seen another Van Landingham jersey with two adjustment tags.
IMG_2516.jpg

The COA looks like a few I've received from the Giants in the past, usually from a team charity auction. Also, Steve Vucinich is or was the A's clubhouse manager for the in 2005 and most likely well before that.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
This is why I asked about the wash tag. Team Issued and Game issued jerseys are 2 different things. Both have the adjustment tags like +1 length, etc. Game issue has different tags. Thats the determining factor.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
I'd check game photos of him from that season if you can find any. Make sure number and letter font is correct for that season. Even look for placement on his jersey to see how it lines up, with numbers patch nameplate ect... Although most players even then used multiple jerseys. So it doesn't always work. I'd check and make sure what A's tagging was like for that season. Not all teams have extra strip tags in them. But a lot do now. In 1999 not many did. 0062 wash code is for Majestic jerseys that are from past few years. Not sure what Russell had for coding back then on wash tags. It may be the same. But find legit A's jerseys tagging to compare. gameuseduniverse.com their are few hardcore A's collectors. I'd do searches on there about everything that could pertain to this jersey and even seller name. , COA ect... Then after doing all homework, then decide if you think it's worth it.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
Seller is "no longer interested in selling to me". He seems to have some major patience/anger issues. He would send a harsh email and then 2 minutes later send a toned down email with more of an explanation simply because I asked for additional photos (he is currently out of town and having a friend send them) and it appears to be a HUGE issue. I am a bit disappointed that I won't be adding a jersey to my collection but whether or not it is real at this point has no bearing based upon the sellers attitude and emails. He said he would still send pictures of the tags when he returns home but no longer interested in selling to me. I told him not to bother. I do not think I am a difficult person to deal with and in fact I think I am quite easy to deal with. Oh well, if nothing else I learned a little bit about jerseys and a lot about a seller that I shouldn't waste my time with. Thank you everyone for your insight it is very much appreciated.

Members online

Latest posts