Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Asking players to sign on Sweet Spot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hi, I was wondering is it OK to ask a player to sign on the Sweet Spot? I never want to ask the player because I feel they may get P/O. Do most star players always sign on the SS?

Jan 15, 2009
crosby87 said:
Hi, I was wondering is it OK to ask a player to sign on the Sweet Spot? I never want to ask the player because I feel they may get P/O. Do most star players always sign on the SS?
A lot of them have contracts not to, most stars don't, most people don't unless you ask them. There is a chance they say no, but you just have to test it.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
if its ip at stadiums, just hand it to them with the sweet spot facing up, so the player can just sign the way you already have it

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
a lot do without having to ask. Jesus Montero signed a ball for me this year without being asked..

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
Okay because im going to try to get Pujols and Holliday tomorrow at PNC park. Not likely I know, but still worth a chance.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I ask around minor league games and some lesser players at the MLB level. Mostly, because I wouldn't want to pull the ball back if they said no and ask them to sign something else. Anytime I see a star signing, I take note to the people he's also signing for.

Last week, Billy Wagner signed for about 30 or so people before a Braves game. I noticed he didn't sweet spot for anyone before me, so I just got a card signed instead.

Pretty much, I only get star sweet spot autos at scheduled signings.

Jan 15, 2009
crosby87 said:
Okay because im going to try to get Pujols and Holliday tomorrow at PNC park. Not likely I know, but still worth a chance.
Pujols hardly signs and won't SS, Holliday will sign SS. You still have to ask for the SS even if you hand it to them with the SS facing them...I know from a ton of experience.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Milton Bradley signed the sweet spot of a ball for me! On a team ball though, usually the players won't sign the sweet spot because it's for the manager.

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
Players have contracts that forbid them from signing on the SS of a ball?? Are you freaking kidding me? Stuff like that makes me wonder what has become of my boyhood hobby.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
timfsu2k said:
Players have contracts that forbid them from signing on the SS of a ball?? Are you freaking kidding me? Stuff like that makes me wonder what has become of my boyhood hobby.

Your boyhood hobby became a big business a long time ago.

To the OP, always ask for Sweet Spot if that is what you want. The worst they can say is no. Also, as you spend more and more time graphing and talking to others, you will learn who will SS and who won't.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Always ask them to sweet spot. Or they won't do it, how are they supposed to know it's not going to be a team ball. . Albert doesn't sweetspot for non paid autos. Make sure you have a BLUE bic ball point pen. Also if player is not changing pens and using a sharpie, don't let them ruin a good ORMLB ball with it. Have them sign something else.

yankees23657

Aug 7, 2008
Another good tip, is that many players will sign SS if they are asked to personalize the ball. For example, I was at the Yankees @ KC game last Sunday. Kerry Wood signed for about 15 minutes and never signed on the SS until i asked him for a personalization and he signed on the SS and made his auto very legible, better then most people before and after me.

crosby87

Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
Okay thanks for the tips. Ive had that sharpie problem twice before. Chipper Jones signed SS without asking in black sharpie and Sosa wouldn't sign ss but signed with sharpie...

Yeah Jay Bruce is a real nice guy, and Votto. Evertime they come to PNC one of them seems to sign.

Im going to bring alot of Cardinals cards to get signed hopefully I get some like I never really have with St. Louis.

jlvjr16

Aug 13, 2008
I ask to Sweet Spot it at times...and sometimes I forget to tell them than they side panel.. :benson:

If you ask SS, some will side panel..

Like AROD and Ryan Howard.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
mwashuc06 said:
a lot do without having to ask. Jesus Montero signed a ball for me this year without being asked..

My sons and I were at a Riverdogs game a couple of years ago and were sitting next to the bullpen. When Jesus was done warming up a pitcher and leaning against the wall, I told my 9 year old he could go ask Jesus for an auto on his baseball. He walked over and looked up to Jesus and just lifted his baseball up and Jesus smiled and signed it for him. The only words said were "thank you" by my son and Jesus shuld kept smiling. :D

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
I got the auto ball (and the card, too) in Montreal in 2002. Didn't have a chance to ask for the SS, but he signed for about 5, 6 minutes and was gone. So even then, Albert avoided the SS.

Pujols.jpg

As it is, I like the auto because he wasn't limited by the narrowness of the SS. It's a big, beautiful signature! The card came out pretty sloppy, but I know it's a legit one, even if it probably wouldn't pass PSA/DNA! :lol:

To the OP, let us know how you did!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I had Aaron Hicks sign there for me. I asked, he said sure.

Otherwise, for me, I could care less, as long as it isn't the Vernand Morency auto.

Members online

Latest posts