Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage set building strategy ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
What's you personal strategy with tackling a new set?

Get the big guys out of the way first?
Get the cheap cards out of the way to see significant progress?

I have two vintage sets going and in one I'm getting the mid-high guys first and the second one (a little harder) getting lower end players out of the way.

Both been fun so far :)

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Since you are just beginning and need most of the cards, look for a lot of cards in the grade you need. You can knock out a big chunk of the set and save some money this way. After that, I just look for bargains on what I need. Don't get too attached to one particular card and overbid. Unless you are dealing with a high grade/low pop card, another one will come around eventually.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Take it slow it the most important strategy. I recently decided to after the T206 set again. My first attempt came to an end at 50 or so cards. The problem , I believe, is that I went too fast and burned out quickly.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
what sets are you working on??

Big difference between... say 1960 Topps, and... say E90-1 as far as how to go about building a set.

IMO, like others said, its best to start with a large lot of commons and work for that point, it will save some $$ buying the initial lot in bulk like that. Maybe 25% of the set on 1st purchase.

Im not a set collector anymore, the cards I like usually are so rare that the a set is unthinkable/unknown

Members online

Latest posts