Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jim Callis' Nats Top 10 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
From today's Ask BA:

With the graduations of Stephen Strasburg, Drew Storen and Ian Desmond to Washington; the additions of Bryce Harper, Sammy Solis, A.J. Cole and Robbie Ray via the draft; and the emergence of Tyler Moore, what would the Nationals Top 10 Prospects list look like now?

Mark Beard
Washington D.C.

The Nationals Top 10 has undergone much change. As Mark notes above, three of the top four prospects from the preseason list have moved onto the big leagues. Four of the first five guys on my Top 10 below weren't in the organization at the start of the year.

Though he leads the Washington system with 30 homers and 110 RBIs, I couldn't find room for Moore on the list. He's old for high Class A at 23, he doesn't control the strike zone well and Chris Marrero and Michael Burgess have a better chance to contribute in the majors as corner bats. I don't have great feel for Cuban defector Yuneski Maya, who profiles as a crafty righthander with average stuff.

My Top 10:

1. Bryce Harper, of
Has monster power, though he won't match Strasburg's immediate impact.
2. Wilson Ramos, c
Matt Capps trade freed Ramos from being blocked by Joe Mauer with Twins.
3. Derek Norris, c
Still needs to polish bat and defense, but he has power and on-base ability.
4. A.J. Cole, rhp
First-round stuff earned him $2 million as a fourth-rounder.
5. Sammy Solis, lhp
Don't be surprised if the $1 million second-rounder outperforms Cole.
6. Danny Espinosa, ss
Solid defender has cannon arm and surprising pop (40 HR in 2009-10).
7. Chris Marrero, 1b
Best proven all-around bat in system, though little defensive value.
8. Brad Peacock, rhp
Runs his fastball up to 95, flashes solid knuckle-curve and changeup.
9. Michael Burgess, of
Power potential remains impressive, but will he make enough contact?
10. Yuneski Maya, rhp
Former Cuban national team ace got $8 million big league contract.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
ThoseBackPages said:
does Danny Espinosa have any MLB cards yet?

He currently has Elite, Contenders, and Primecuts. So I guess no, no MLB cards yet.

Horrible list in my opinion. If you think Espinosa is going to hit 40 HR next year while playing 2B or SS at a high level, how is he not #2, if not #1? I understand Harper is a beast, but a GG shortstop or 2B that hits 40 HR is a season is VERY special.

My top 5:
1.) Harper (A): One of the best prospects in recent times.
2.) Espinosa (B+): Has good power and can walk at a premium position.
3.) Norris (B+): Still one of the best catching prospects in the minors.
4.) Ramos (B): Solid all-around, does not have the ceiling of Norris.
5.) Cole (B)

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

He currently has Elite, Contenders, and Primecuts. So I guess no, no MLB cards yet.

Horrible list in my opinion. If you think Espinosa is going to hit 40 HR next year while playing 2B or SS at a high level, how is he not #2, if not #1? I understand Harper is a beast, but a GG shortstop or 2B that hits 40 HR is a season is VERY special.

My top 5:
5.) Cole (B)

lol, 40HR's...little bit of a stretch.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
soccerman034 said:
ThoseBackPages said:

My top 5:
5.) Cole (B)

Re-read the post......

He's hit 40 HRs combined in the last two years in the minors. That is not a projection for MLB stats.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ah, makes sense now (I thought that a projection like that, especially from a guy like Callis, was strange). I think Espinosa could hit 30 hr in a season in his prime, maybe 35; he has surprising pop for a guy with his tool set.

I still stand by my list; Espinosa and Norris both have higher ceiling's than Ramos, and I am always cautious about ranking draftee's too aggressively.

Espinosa is currently 2/3 today with a HR, and a RBI single. Has been mashing ever since he was called up to AAA.

nikateen

Aug 7, 2008
Burgess is too low imo. He has been tearing it up in AA and is still just 21 years old. He has good range in the OF and a cannon of an arm.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
hail2thevictors said:
ThoseBackPages said:
jeff550 said:
add a grand slam for Espinosa

any shot of him being in Topps H&U?

He hasn't played in a major league game, so no.

he's already got three MLB Bombs!

LOL, nice. Shows how much exposure the Nats are getting these days. The last 5 days or so haven't been able to pay much attention. So perhaps he IS going to be in U & H.

Members online

Latest posts