Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Rookie Retro thought...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
As with any group of random slabs, it is impossible even guess how many that might be except we know the answer is > 0.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
This is a pretty pointless discussion. There is simply no way to know. Every one of these "questionable" cards from Burge and others of his ilk get bought buy someone who will likely resell at some point. There is simply no way to know.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BowmanChromeAddict said:
This is a pretty pointless discussion. There is simply no way to know. Every one of these "questionable" cards from Burge and others of his ilk get bought buy someone who will likely resell at some point. There is simply no way to know.

Well, there is, on the higher dollar cards. As was evidenced in the past (a Mark Prior SP auto comes to mind), serial #ed cardss can be scanned before and after grading and re-grading...

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Why even pose this question Jeff? I just don't understand the logic here. You say its not a shot at Leaf, but yet you know it will invoke a defensive response by Brian. People won't come into this thread and just say 1, 2, 28, 36, or whatever. They are gonna start speculating as to why BG has bought trimmed cards and the rumors and heresay spread like wildfire. Please think before you post something like this. This wouldn't be any different if it were Topps or Upper Deck or even Panini.

And before anyone says I'm in bed with Razor, noo....my Razor is laying on my bathroom counter.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Anyone remember the 2001 SPA Mark Prior BGS 9 morph into a BGS 10 by simply "pressing down on one of the corners"?

Ah, those were the days.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
blanning71 said:
Why even pose this question Jeff? I just don't understand the logic here. You say its not a shot at Leaf, but yet you know it will invoke a defensive response by Brian. People won't come into this thread and just say 1, 2, 28, 36, or whatever. They are gonna start speculating as to why BG has bought trimmed cards and the rumors and heresay spread like wildfire. Please think before you post something like this. This wouldn't be any different if it were Topps or Upper Deck or even Panini.

And before anyone says I'm in bed with Razor, noo....my Razor is laying on my bathroom counter.

I woulda said the same thing if it was Topps or UD or Panini. I twas just a random thought. I wonder how much Burge has touched this product.

I would think, by now, that Bob Loblaw would have convinced you that I'm not looking for a fight with Razor...

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
HOW MANY OF TOPPS MILLION CARD GIVEAWAY CARDS ARE TRIMMED?? OMG!!!

Weird, never saw a thread like that......

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
Jaypers said:
Anyone remember the 2001 SPA Mark Prior BGS 9 morph into a BGS 10 by simply "pressing down on one of the corners"?

Ah, those were the days.

I've never heard that story. I'd like to hear it though...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I pulled a psa 10 card in my pack, and it had a huge fingernail indention in the back of the card, and somehow it still got a psa 10. I don't blame Razor/Leaf, I blame PSA.

Another thought is, since the case are not serial numbered, what prevents Leaf from continuing to purchase secondary cards from the market and continuing to produce more cases of this product?

Theoretically, this product could exist forever, even though it is "limited" to somewhere less than 599 cases.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
beefycheddar said:
HOW MANY OF TOPPS MILLION CARD GIVEAWAY CARDS ARE TRIMMED?? OMG!!!

Weird, never saw a thread like that......

Considering people aren't buying graded cards through, or paying $225-250 for, MCG codes, I don't think it appears to be an issue.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
brouthercard said:
I pulled a psa 10 card in my pack, and it had a huge fingernail indention in the back of the card, and somehow it still got a psa 10. I don't blame Razor/Leaf, I blame PSA.

Another thought is, since the case are not serial numbered, what prevents Leaf from continuing to purchase secondary cards from the market and continuing to produce more cases of this product?

Theoretically, this product could exist forever, even though it is "limited" to somewhere less than 599 cases.

The fact that Leaf doesn't want to kill the golden goose. This product can exist in perpetuity. Keep buying hot cards on the market, keep inserting them in Leaf Rookie Retro. The product has an alleged 70% ROI, if the direct cost is $1200 per case, the profit margin is $210 per case - after expenses, we'll say a conservative $150 per case. If 500 cases were made, there's profit of $75000 to Mr. Gray. Make this product every year, and that's $75000 a year. Not bad.

I'd do everything in my power to make this product seem legitimate so that it will continue to sell every year.

Backdooring cases for a small gain of a few thousand dollars now is not worth it in the end.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Jeff N. said:
brouthercard said:

The fact that Leaf doesn't want to kill the golden goose. This product can exist in perpetuity. Keep buying hot cards on the market, keep inserting them in Leaf Rookie Retro. The product has an alleged 70% ROI, if the direct cost is $1200 per case, the profit margin is $210 per case - after expenses, we'll say a conservative $150 per case. If 500 cases were made, there's profit of $75000 to Mr. Gray. Make this product every year, and that's $75000 a year. Not bad.

I'd do everything in my power to make this product seem legitimate so that it will continue to sell every year.

Backdooring cases for a small gain of a few thousand dollars now is not worth it in the end.

But if you can make an extra 100 cases, which would hardly be noticeable in the secondary market (heck, UD and Topps do this all the time), and make an extra $20,000 without being detected, why wouldn't you?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts