Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most useless product of the year?

Which product is the most useless of the year?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
With the companies scrapping to fill the void during the year for sets and products, which ones do you think is the worst set of the year? Please tell why you think so and vote in the poll. You can vote for 2 products in this poll.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
timelines

christmas1.jpg

'nuff said

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I went with UD X and Topps Updates w/ Heritage.

UD X--I really haven't seen anything come out of this product that has enticed me to buy any. The base cards don't have an attractive design and the inserts are lack luster. I really don't like the same type of insert with a x2, x3, or x4 design with it. Get a little more creative UD! Come on! Are there any autos worth pulling or jersey cards?

Topps Updates w/ Heritage--Normally Updates is a decent product but they decided to water it down with TWO types of Updates. Updates and Highlights was fairly strong with the All Star game inserts but they over did it when they decided to incorporate another type of set with the Heritage cards included. It just doesnt' make a whole lot of sense to me value wise.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
UD Ballpark: Again oversaturrating jsy buttons etc.

Donruss Sports Legends: Design is not attractive at all to me. Not to mention alot of the wierd stuff in here. I know others may like it, this is just my opinion

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I liked the idea of Ballpark Collection. However, they went WAAAAAAY overboard with the jersey cards. I would have liked to see some patches in there for that type of product. You are correct in saying that they oversaturated the market with the jersey stuff.

HYPE

Jan 7, 2009
JERSEY
you guys dont like donruss sports legends?

i crack 3 cases of that.. honestly, i tripled my money. granted, there are some crazy ass cards in there, but thats original. and unique.

plus, i hit a pete rose mirro gold auto /25 5 times :D

lol

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
My vote was for UD X before I read that I could vote for two. In reviewing the list, I found it interesting to note that that I bought exactly zero (either wax or singles) from any of the products listed in your poll last year.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think Documentary is cool as far as the concept and honestly...I would like to do the set as crazy as that sounds but the overall look of the cards sucks.I hate how they have no names on the front either.That's monumentally dumb.

I also hate topps updates and highlights because I wanted to continue to add to my heritage set and this is the only way to do so.Plus I don't think the heritage set really needed to have any update to it.

As for Upper Deck X...I loved the heck out of this set.This is the only set out right now other than the Stadium club beam team autos that looks like an old school set.Die cuts and nice foil inserts.I loved it!I did pull a David Wright printing plate from a box so I am sure I got my money's worth on the box.I simply traded some old base cards of no namers for it.Can't go wrong there!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
blanning71 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Didnt see Razor or Donruss baseball as an option, how come?

Well, lets see....ummm, because those actually do well compared to what these products bring to the table.

"Most useless product of the year?"

that was the original title of the Poll.
doesnt say "which of these products didnt do well?"

and im guessing that the idea is "Most useless product of the year (to you)" since the poll is asking FCBers to vote

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Well Eric, seeing as how you and maybe one or two others would be the ones voting for Razor or Donruss because they aren't MLB approved I figured they didn't have a shot at taking the crown as "most useless". Remember Rule #1 of this Site.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
simply could have been corrected by adding "Other" to the Poll.

im sure that there are more than three FCBers that have no use for Donruss or Razor in regards to 2008 baseball cards.

i dont see how this involves "Rule #1" at all. I know that not being one of the followers isnt "cool", but dont expect everyone to drink the kool aid.

if you feel its best to just foe you (i know that that's not possible due to your stats) the best i can, i will do so.
but you even mentioning "Rule #1" can be construed as breaking "Rule #1"

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
ThoseBackPages said:
simply could have been corrected by adding "Other" to the Poll.

im sure that there are more than three FCBers that have no use for Donruss or Razor in regards to 2008 baseball cards.

i dont see how this involves "Rule #1" at all. I know that not being one of the followers isnt "cool", but dont expect everyone to drink the kool aid.

if you feel its best to just foe you (i know that that's not possible due to your stats) the best i can, i will do so.
but you even mentioning "Rule #1" can be construed as breaking "Rule #1"

I'm sorry but with your nonconstructive talk about Donruss and Razor due to their lack of MLBPA licensing, I felt like your post was an attempt to derail this conversation. I didn't put them in there because the Donruss products and Razor products were widely accepted and sought after from release. The products I did list on here however didn't really generate any hype or make waves from the research I have done. And I'm sorry if you see differently as to how I set up the poll. Hey, perhaps you can set one up yourself.

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
While I voted for 2 of them, I would have to agree with TBP. You based this poll on your own feelings of these products. They did not generate hype because to you, they were not based on prospects or things you like about a product. In fact if I had the wide open choice, I'd have voted for Donruss as pure ugly design, and ANY prospect based set, yes Razor and all forms of Bowman included.

I am however still hyped over UD X, it's more of going back to basics of old card collecting, not promoted by 50 billion worthless gu cards nor the next high school/college aged kid who hasn't done crap yet on the MLB level. I do NOT prospect, never have and NEVER will. I could care less about any of those related products even though this board is pretty much a prospecting board so it's all around.

I think the poll should have had more options that were just products listed, not based on ones own opinion of how well something has done or at least an "Other" option to select. However, it was your poll so obviously, you are free to set it up however you wish. I'm just saying I would have done differently, that's all, nothing more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts