Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some bad news for Topps Chrome Baseball...pack odds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
here are some pack odds....
last year production was low and blue ref 1;13 & golds 1:52 I believe
this year: blues are 1;58; golds 1:224

plus it appears that some of the base rc could be sp, as well as some of the bigger autos of course (but this is speculative on early breaks)
as retail is live on ebay, and a couple have seen hobby, including beckett & not pulled a decent base rc or auto rc

i guess we have to blame ourselves in a way, lol
we all jumped on and ordered at record levels...so topps kept printing
but I thought I would have a couple blue ref sets...

it would be nice with the cases topps was offering to buy back to include those extra inserts and we pull them more often

MAN, that is a HUGE jump... I am still in shock

43,780 blue refractors made at 58 packs equals 105,800 BOXES, so over 8,000 cases...wow
last year was 23,714 boxes or 1,975 cases

of course this does NOT factor in retail

BUT imagine opening 30 cases like me and not pulling even a STRASBURG blue ref /199... odds are I will get 148 blue refractors, wow...
and the inserts are falling at 6 per box & the refractors are not 1:3 as advertised

was hoping for lots of color & fun, but we shall see

what does this mean for BC, or even Update on production increases?

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
Re: Some bad news for Topps Chrome Baseball

I did not ask odds for everything...just some to check production
but looks like each box only has 6 inserts total, 1 being a refractor version of the inserts
heritage appear to be 2 per box, sometimes 3 total...

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Thanks for the info. Thankfully (at least hopefully) the Heritage set is only 50 cards this year, instead of 100 like in 2008. Hopefully some decent players this time around as well.

boxbreaker

Aug 9, 2008

looks like us busters are about to take a bath on this one...great job topps, way to take care of your customers. (holding out hope that the extra 3 cards for the wrappers will be in HIGH demand) :lol:

"Don't believe the hype" ::facepalm:: I should have listened.
I am only breaking a case so I feel for you guys. Hopefully a nice auto somewhere in there and 12 sets of bonus cards. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle and pull a nice gold.

::facepalm::

garyg21

Jul 19, 2009

I actually like this.. hopefully this will restore value to the low numbered items because they will actually be "tough" to pull

This being said.. topps should slightly reduce the cost per box

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010

garyg21 said:
I actually like this.. hopefully this will restore value to the low numbered items because they will actually be "tough" to pull

After the break and on down the road, I dont think anyone will care (or pay a premium) that people had to trudge through boxes of excess base cards to find the low numbered cards. They will be what they are - low numbered cards /1 /5/ 25/ 50/ /150 just like any other year or other product. This just sucks bad for the busters...

Reminds me of a few 08 Bowman Chrome boxes I bought on more than one occassion. 1 base auto and 6 veteran refractors. NO gold foil stamps anywhere to be found. These were SO fun to bust I got back in my car and drove back to the hobby shop for more!! I think there will be a lot of dud boxes collecting dust on the shelves.

If they do this to BC or BDP I wont be buying.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010

garyg21 said:

but it won't raise prices...
it waters down the market with over-saturation of a product that they typically produce far less of and with fewer collectors than say a Topps base or BC
people are used to paying lower prices, and THIS FACT REMAINS...no matter how difficult they are to hit there is still the same # of them
last year /199, this year /199, so still same chance to buy one especially with the massive number of breakers

base sets SHOULD go up since some rc are said to be SP already

but topps print to order is bad news for all of these over-hyped products that far less care about now
hopefully we all learn a lesson, including topps for next year with chapman & perhaps harper

way too much of this was ordered so they kept printing, then even offered to buy back cases,a nd this is the first product I can remember that has dropped BELOW cost prior to release

shoot last year's even held value and only good auto to hit with HANSON which i think is a $60 card
there are so many better autos this year on-card

it would have been better if there never was a Strasburg, then this would not have bee over-ordered and would have strong value
and some of the best rc autos in years

ArtVandelay said:
garyg21 said:

After the break and on down the road, I dont think anyone will care (or pay a premium) that people had to trudge through boxes of excess base cards to find the low numbered cards. They will be what they are - low numbered cards /1 /5/ 25/ 50/ /150 just like any other year or other product. This just sucks bad for the busters...

Reminds me of a few 08 Bowman Chrome boxes I bought on more than one occassion. 1 base auto and 6 veteran refractors. NO gold foil stamps anywhere to be found. These were SO fun to bust I got back in my car and drove back to the hobby shop for more!! I think there will be a lot of dud boxes collecting dust on the shelves.

If they do this to BC or BDP I wont be buying.

Because they produced more cases, thats what made the odds longer.
(Still the same amount of refractors, just more product to stretch them out)
The refractors will still be numbered the same.
Premiums are paid for serial numbers, NOT how hard they are to pull.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Topps isn't always going to try to make things best for the short-term anyway. Short-term things might not be so hot, but long-term things will be different.

But as always the wax distributors will have big sales of this stuff in a year and the product will experience a resurgence, this will time nicely with Stras' return.

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010

for another comparison

the Heritage product has black ref /61 1 per case
this has them at 1:3 cases
so this is 3x produced more than heritage?
wow, heritage is king
chrome is crap, lol

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

brentandbecca said:
for another comparison

wow, heritage is king
chrome is crap, lol

Don't forget to factor in how many less heritage cards are in this set.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

brentandbecca said:
for another comparison

wow, heritage is king
chrome is crap, lol

Weren't you the same person that initially was going ON AND ON about how great this product was going to be? Just saying....

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010
i did, I know it is half... but that is still 1/2 a case higher
But based on last year's 2000 case production black ref were suppose to be 1 every 8-9 boxes

brentandbecca

May 17, 2010

ballerskrip said:
brentandbecca said:
for another comparison

wow, heritage is king
chrome is crap, lol

Weren't you the same person that initially was going ON AND ON about how great this product was going to be? Just saying....

You have me confused with someone else...
I just joined the site recently & list my breaks
I had one follow-up post to someone but never on & on

on paper this should have been great, that is why topps increased from 2000 cases to 8000 due to all the orders
but that is what killed it

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

brentandbecca said:
ballerskrip said:
brentandbecca said:
for another comparison

wow, heritage is king
chrome is crap, lol

You have me confused with someone else...
I just joined the site recently & list my breaks
I had one follow-up post to someone but never on & on

on paper this should have been great, that is why topps increased from 2000 cases to 8000 due to all the orders
but that is what killed it

My fault, it must have been the OP of that thread that was going on and on about it being a great break for case rippers. I hope it still turns out to be a good product, but your numbers you have posted are definitely concerining to say the least.

Good luck on your Cases

skrip

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
It will be interesting to see the first few sales of 2010 Topps Chrome RC's...there are some up now...let's see how they go...

Members online

Latest posts