Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

January 15 - NO Money Orders!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
So, starting next week, Ebay says you are no longer allowed to ask for Money Orders. PayPal only!

How will this change your selling.buying habits. Will we start to see an increase in auction prices?

Personally, I think this is Ebay's way of generating more revenue and really trying to corner a market. By not allowing any other methods of payments, they are making it tougher for buyers and sellers to do business. I have always offered buyers to pay with either Paypal or Money Order.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Never used anything but paypal, and I only accept paypal, so it doesn't matter to me.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
zach said:
So, starting next week, Ebay says you are no longer allowed to ask for Money Orders. PayPal only!

How will this change your selling.buying habits. Will we start to see an increase in auction prices?

Personally, I think this is Ebay's way of generating more revenue and really trying to corner a market. By not allowing any other methods of payments, they are making it tougher for buyers and sellers to do business. I have always offered buyers to pay with either Paypal or Money Order.

People will still accept MOs. Just can't advertised it will have to be "behind the scenes"

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
I guess this will stop a small group of buyers from being ripped off by sellers who pocket money orders and then fail to deliver the goods.

Now everyone will be covered by Paypal's buyer "protection" policy. Why do I not feel warm and fuzzy about that? lol

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Erich said:
zach said:

Please will accept MOs. Just can't advertised it will have to be "behind the scenes"

This is ebay's attempt to phase money orders out. If sellers can't advertise that they accept them, people will stop using them and eventually, nobody will remember that you can use money orders to pay for ebay items.

What I wonder is if ebay will being to file auto-NPB's if they see that an item has not been paid for (probably not since they want those FVF's even if the item doesn't get paid for).

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
zach said:

It is definitely Ebay's way of creating more revenue for themselves, there is really no other plausible explanation for it! Also now there will be a definite traceable paper trail, I wonder how long it will be before "Big Brother" steps in to charge tax on all transaction's & if this in some way came about because of the government & Ebay discussing how it would be good for both parties? (I know, I know...conspiracy theory...but it is an interesting one if you think about it; although it will definitely suck if this happens)! :evil:

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Out of curiosity....

If they are phasing out MO's, then are Checks considered in the same boat?

Very interesting from a "monopoly" standpoint.

What types of payments are actually auto-linked to ebay's system of "payment recieved" in MyEbay? (What updates it automatically and what doesn't?)

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
OhioBobcat3 said:
I guess this will stop a small group of buyers from being ripped off by sellers who pocket money orders and then fail to deliver the goods.

Now everyone will be covered by Paypal's buyer "protection" policy. Why do I not feel warm and fuzzy about that? lol

A scary idea is that now that Paypal is basically mandatory to purchase on Ebay, Paypal will no longer have to try to entice member's to use thier service. This could mean that a number of perk's become obsolete such as:
1."Buyer protection"- Paypal offerred this in large part to attract buyer's to use thier service as a payment option, which in turn would attract seller's to accept this payment option; now that it is mandatory why offer this security blanket that costs Paypal a chunk of $$$?
2."Seller protection"-Basically the same as above ("Buyer Protection") except for seller's, they originally used this to get the word out to seller's about accepting Paypal as a form of payment; they knew many worried about being ripped off by chargeback's & other fraudulent scam's that go "hand-in-hand" with a service like Paypal...Now that they no longer are "asking" seller's to accept thier payment option, why do they need to entice or pamper them with a safety blanket policy?
3. They can now increase fees & not worry about member's ceasing to use them in favor of a money order (that basically says it all, they can increase thier fee's & unless you opt to not use Ebay at all then you'll have to "suck-it-up" & take it)!
I truly hope these do not occur but, as the people at Ebay/Paypal know, where will we go to sell all of our trinkets & attract/receive the type of exposure that you get when you list on Ebay??? YUCK! :?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Some of you make some great points...certainly things I have thought about too.

NEC - The question about checks is a very good one. I don't think it mentioned anything about that.

Personally, I only pay for auctions with PayPal. However when selling, I like to offer the option for a money order as not everyone has the ability to sign up for a PayPal account.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
I may be in the minority here, but I don't mind this at all.

Only speaking from personal experience, I've had more headaches over buyers wanting to pay/paying with money orders and checks.

eBay is aware they're the biggest game out there and they take advantage of that fact. It's rotten but until another global auction site emerges eBay will continue doing what they're doing.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
Every week I list auctions, I get at least 5 emails asking if I will take a MO.
I look at there feedback and if they are solid, I say sure, no problem. I never have a problem
saving some fees and not having to pay the extra shipping required with paypal. I thought it was already
official at ebay, so if on jan 15th they start blocking it from auctions, I imagine the emails asking about
MO's will grow quite a bit. Ill always take them, no big deal.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I don't like it one bit...as I pay with MO's a lot because Paypal stupidly disabled my debit card. Looks like I will be buying less or emailing sellers.

Question...is Collectors Revolution Paypal only??

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
scotty21690 said:
I don't like it one bit...as I pay with MO's a lot because Paypal stupidly disabled my debit card. Looks like I will be buying less or emailing sellers.

No, we are not paypal only. Just received a money order for a card I sold a couple days ago.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
JVC said:
scotty21690 said:

No, we are not paypal only. Just received a money order for a card I sold a couple days ago.
Awesome...thanks Jeff!

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
GOOD !

Out of over 2500+ transactions - only negative was a guy with 17 feedback - claims to hace sent money order - waits 6 days - no dispute opened - and files a negative against me.

I asked him to use the proper chanels : open a dispute and then take his LAZY behind and go see if the money order was cashed !

All over a 3.78 card ?

Money order was never received and a two month ordeal !

I am glad.

Viking4Alpha

Aug 10, 2008
I'm all for it. I know it sucks that we get ***** on FVF's and the Paypal fee's but it IS a business, so I can appreciate that. I have only ever accepted paypal anyway due to their insurance policy they provide in return. It's a decent cushion.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
what I wonder now is if Ebay is going to track auction wins and the corresponding paypal payments and start suspending members who's auctions don't show that a paypal transaction has occurred. if they catch you accepting other forms of payment this way I'd be willing to bet they will suspend or kick you off Ebay now for going against their monopoly.

Members online

Latest posts