Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on starting rotation for the Giants vs. Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

Jan 15, 2009
rum151man said:
ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy
Because the Giants can beat Halladay and have done so before, plus Lincecum pitched just as well as Halladay in his first start too...3 more Ks but 2 more hits allowed. Plus we have Sanchez going game 2 who has just been DURTY!

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
GiantsSuperCollector said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy
Because the Giants can beat Halladay and have done so before, plus Lincecum pitched just as well as Halladay in his first start too...3 more Ks but 2 more hits allowed. Plus we have Sanchez going game 2 who has just been DURTY!

You forget that this is the playoffs. Meaning they have much more adrenaline going. Meaning they will be insanely tough.

Jan 15, 2009
mlbfan10 said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

You forget that this is the playoffs. Meaning they have much more adrenaline going. Meaning they will be insanely tough.
So will the Giants... ::facepalm::

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

thats just my point though they have both been so good so why risk lincecum throwing cg and losing 1-0

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
rum151man said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

thats just my point though they have both been so good so why risk lincecum throwing cg and losing 1-0
the only down fall is if it goes to game 7 lincecum will have to throw on super short rest

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
mlbfan10 said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

I understand you are a giants fan and I would be the same way if the Braves were in the same position but Phils out weigh you guys big time. You can argue but if the Braves would be in the same position as well if we had won.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
So you're suggesting the Giants not throw their best pitcher in game one over the fear of losing? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you're scared of losing a game then you have no business playing. Maybe the Giants should just forfeit to save the entire teams ego from the devastation that Halladay will bring.

Jan 15, 2009
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

I understand you are a giants fan and I would be the same way if the Braves were in the same position but Phils out weigh you guys big time. You can argue but if the Braves would be in the same position as well if we had won.
How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.

Jan 15, 2009
rum151man said:
rum151man said:
rum151man said:

is it really that crazy

the only down fall is if it goes to game 7 lincecum will have to throw on super short rest
They will have Cain pitch Game 7, Bochy already said

mlbfan10

Feb 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
[quote="rum151man":35xjju2e]ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.[/quote:35xjju2e]

I hate the Phillies as much as you do but I just don't know if the Giants have enough to stop their staring pitching and hitters except for Lincecum.

Jan 15, 2009
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
[quote="GiantsSuperCollector":16iikuff][quote="rum151man":16iikuff]ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.[/quote:16iikuff]

I hate the Phillies as much as you do but I just don't know if the Giants have enough to stop their staring pitching and hitters except for Lincecum.[/quote:16iikuff]
Lincecum V Halladay - Even/Phillies
Sanchez V Hamels - Giants/ could go Phillies
Cain V Oswalt - Giants
Bumgarner V Blanton - Are you kidding me?!?? Giants

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Halladay is 0-2 with a 7.23 ERA against Giants

I like the righty lefty righty lefty thing the Giants did..

We'll see if the "Kids" can whip the "Vets"

Giants can beat any team when they are on, pitching as usual...... and some timely hitting can go a long way.

Over last 6 weeks no one has pitched better than the Giants.

Halladay gives up his share of hits usually.......... "Mr. NoHitter" led the league giving up 231 hits this year BTW.
His strength is he is able to go 9 innings and keep the Phillies close.
Hope he pitches like he did in the year 2000 (2.20 WHIP), that would be great :)

Ought to be a good series.

.......Did I say Halladay is 0-2 with a 7.23 ERA against Giants. :)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez are about as good as Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels - the key for the Giants having any chance in the NLCS is for their bats to heat up and hopefully score enough runs.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
[quote="mlbfan10":3iurpg45][quote="GiantsSuperCollector":3iurpg45][quote="rum151man":3iurpg45]ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.[/quote:3iurpg45]

I hate the Phillies as much as you do but I just don't know if the Giants have enough to stop their staring pitching and hitters except for Lincecum.[/quote:3iurpg45]
Cain V Oswalt - Giants
Bumgarner V Blanton - Are you kidding me?!?? Giants[/quote:3iurpg45]

What a homer :lol:

This will be a great series, no doubt. Any matchup could go either way. But sorry Giants fans, your road ends here. You can't overcome better pitching and a better offense once it's NLCS time.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Lancemountain said:
mlbfan10 said:
mlbfan10 said:
[quote="GiantsSuperCollector":1t3128vf][quote="mlbfan10":1t3128vf][quote="GiantsSuperCollector":1t3128vf][quote="rum151man":1t3128vf]ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.[/quote:1t3128vf]

I hate the Phillies as much as you do but I just don't know if the Giants have enough to stop their staring pitching and hitters except for Lincecum.[/quote:1t3128vf]
Cain V Oswalt - Giants
Bumgarner V Blanton - Are you kidding me?!?? Giants[/quote:1t3128vf]

This will be a great series, no doubt. Any matchup could go either way. But sorry Giants fans, your road ends here. You can't overcome better pitching and a better offense once it's NLCS time.[/quote:1t3128vf]

Better bats for sure, but pitching, the Phillies get the short end of the stick. Halladay and Oswalt have trouble with the Giants and Sanchez is one of the best pitchers over the last month. Plus the Giants bullpen has been better than the Phillies this year.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
ronfromfresno said:
Lancemountain said:
mlbfan10 said:
[quote="mlbfan10":55jp56sg][quote="GiantsSuperCollector":55jp56sg][quote="mlbfan10":55jp56sg][quote="GiantsSuperCollector":55jp56sg][quote="rum151man":55jp56sg]ok im just wondering if there is anybody as crazy as me who thinks about these kind of things. I have played baseball my whole life all the way through college so I know the game really well. I know you are not supposed to think this way, you should think your team will win on any given day with any lineup...... but. game 1 Halladay vs. the Freak right? well to me if im the coach of the giants i seriously consider saving the freak for game 2 why throw him against the best pitcher in baseball and potentionally waste a great start and still get the loss. save timmy for game 2 and hope your team pulls of a miracle you win you are looking really good for game 2 with the freak, you lose oh well you still got lincecum game 2.

is it really that crazy

How do they outweigh us "BIG TIME"? Look at the batting statistics over the season and playoffs. Pretty similar,eh? Giants also have a much deeper bullpen, Phillies not so much. The one thing the Phillies have that the Giants don't is experience. The Phillies also play in a "hitters" park.[/quote:55jp56sg]

I hate the Phillies as much as you do but I just don't know if the Giants have enough to stop their staring pitching and hitters except for Lincecum.[/quote:55jp56sg]
Cain V Oswalt - Giants
Bumgarner V Blanton - Are you kidding me?!?? Giants[/quote:55jp56sg]

This will be a great series, no doubt. Any matchup could go either way. But sorry Giants fans, your road ends here. You can't overcome better pitching and a better offense once it's NLCS time.[/quote:55jp56sg]

Better bats for sure, but pitching, the Phillies get the short end of the stick. Halladay and Oswalt have trouble with the Giants and Sanchez is one of the best pitchers over the last month. Plus the Giants bullpen has been better than the Phillies this year.[/quote:55jp56sg]

Hey man I'm with you there. Like I said any matchup could go either way. it WILL be a great series, no doubt.

And if Sanchez is one of the better pitchers the last month, Hamels IS the best pitcher in the last month.

Just for me, it comes down to the fact that our starters are pitching better and our bats are with out any doubt, considerably stronger.

Jan 15, 2009
Phillies:
GP AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
162 5581 772 1451 290 34 166 2307 736 560 1064 108 21 .260 .332 .413 .745
Giants:
GP AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
162 5488 697 1411 284 30 162 2241 660 487 1099 55 32 .257 .321 .408 .729

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I wanted to play against the braves being we spanked them in the last month. But the Phillies I felt would of gone in over confident and lost them all. We do really good against good pitchers and good teams. So I say bring it on and let the Giants get a good taste of H2O! LOL willy.gifwilly.gifwilly.gif

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
340x_large_roy_halladay_tim_lincecum.jpg

550_The-Four-Starters.png

Members online

Latest posts