Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collected players you can't stand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
A recent online purchase made me think about this. I bought a nice Vizquel card and the guy emailed me before shipping to say "He was always one of those guys I couldn't stand. He is so overated and his cards always tanked."

I dunno why he felt like he had to communicate this, misspelling and all. But it got me thinking. There are a few players I REALLY can't stand but I would never make the point to someone who is a serious collector. They obviously think the guy's great, so good for them. I've seen threads from time to time from someone that collects the guy at the top of my dislike list. It makes me wonder how he and I could have such dramatically different opinions of him.

I don't want to disclose who it is, but anyone have a similar situation?

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Schilling is a bit of an *******. I collect him because of what he's done on the field, not off. However, I've never had a seller mention anything like that. Especially when he has no real justification for why he doesn't like Vizquel.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
*mod edit, let's not wish death on anyone* Total d-bag. BUT, I agree with you. I don't see the point in the seller including his note about Vizquel.

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
gmarutiak said:
*mod edit, let's not wish death on anyone* Total d-bag. BUT, I agree with you. I don't see the point in the seller including his note about Vizquel.

Wow....seriously??? ::facepalm::

tombb25

Dec 17, 2009
Napa, CA
Eric Chavez...I collected him because he's an Athletic but when I met him at a card show he was a dick. That and the last 3 years he's been a total waste of space on the A's, glad he's gone now. I don't hope he dies though :?

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
tommyfro21 said:
gmarutiak said:
I hope Schilling dies tonight. Total d-bag. BUT, I agree with you. I don't see the point in the seller including his note about Vizquel.

Since you asked, I thought about it for a second, and I've decided that yes, I seriously hope he dies tonight. If I got in my car after work and heard on the radio that he died, it would truly bring a smile to my face. I'd call a couple different friends, and it would make them happy as well. If this makes me a bad person, so be it. :twisted:

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I collect a guy that alot of people don't like.. but you had to be growing up in the 80's watching baseball to understand why. there are quite a few others out there that collect him as well and probably for the same basic reasons.

I give my cousin crap all the time because he collects Vizquel... he has been a fan of his since he was a little kid and I've always asked him why he liked a powerless sub .300 hitting infielder.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
IndyMann said:
I never disliked Miguel Cabrera until miguelcabrera starting posting on here. And now I can't stand the actual Miguel Cabrera. Does that count?

That was really funny.

A funny story about Miguel Cabrera. A very good friend of mine is actually close friends with a different foreign player. This other guy got to 1B and was chatting with Cabrera, asked him about wearing shades despite it not being very bright that day. At some point Cabrera admits he's... well... feeling the effects from the previous evening's festivities. Nice.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
gmarutiak said:
tommyfro21 said:
gmarutiak said:
I hope Schilling dies tonight. Total d-bag. BUT, I agree with you. I don't see the point in the seller including his note about Vizquel.

Since you asked, I thought about it for a second, and I've decided that yes, I seriously hope he dies tonight. If I got in my car after work and heard on the radio that he died, it would truly bring a smile to my face. I'd call a couple different friends, and it would make them happy as well. If this makes me a bad person, so be it. :twisted:

Then be a bad person elsewhere. There's no room for that here.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
1st4040 said:
I collect a guy that alot of people don't like.. but you had to be growing up in the 80's watching baseball to understand why. there are quite a few others out there that collect him as well and probably for the same basic reasons.

I give my cousin crap all the time because he collects Vizquel... he has been a fan of his since he was a little kid and I've always asked him why he liked a powerless sub .300 hitting infielder.

I actually like Canseco. He was great, super quirky, and I have no problem with him calling things out as he sees them.

As far as Omar, he's an exceptional player and has a lot of fun on the field. And very few guys have stuck around for 21 years and counting, let alone at the level he's playing!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There are a couple of players I don't like to watch on the field because they act like jerks but I won't say I have any problem with people collecting them because I do see how if the dude was playing for YOUR team, he would be collectible. And for the most part, I collect players based on their playing ability or them being local guys.

And really...did homeboy actually say he wanted Schilling to keel over? I can't possibly imagine what Curt did to be hated that much.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
jwc9p said:
One word: Perkins

Fixed it for you.

When I started collecting him, I thought he was a lower end guy who was a little happy person playing for his hometown team... The other Twins fans on the board told me otherwise ::facepalm::

Then I heard how bad he was...

For TwinsFest, the Twins were to sign a poster to be auctioned off. I believe all the big guys were there... Liriano, Morneau, Mauer, Nathan etc etc... only one person didn't sign :benson:

He is a jerk to anyone who asks for his autograph (hence "Perk the Jerk") or pays for it (I haven't personally seen it, but I am sure I will soon enough). ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

For his "caliber" ranking of a player, he refuses to return fanmail. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

He acts like the world owes him everything and that he is too good to be here... ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

His days as a Twin are limited... ::facepalm::

The only reason I kept collecting after I found out was that I figured I was in too deep to do anything else (I had a few 1/1s and MANY MANY autographs... no jerseys yet ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: )

I think I wore the facepalm smiley out... ::facepalm::

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I used to collect Latrell Sprewell (NBA Player who choked PJ Carlisemo when he was with Golden State).

I collected him through all of that and people would just say "You collect the choker, huh?" as I was buying things for dimes on the dollar.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
I used to collect Latrell Sprewell (NBA Player who choked PJ Carlisemo when he was with Golden State).

I collected him through all of that and people would just say "You collect the choker, huh?" as I was buying things for dimes on the dollar.

UHHHMMM...guys...in Eddie's defense...I started collecting Shawn Chacon shortly after he choked Ed Wade. In fact that's why I started collecting him. :lol:

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
tonsofcommons said:

Back when I followed basketball... I enjoyed this guy with the Wolves... Him and Garnett... I remember when Garnett rocketed a ball at a fan and got thrown out. It was an accident, but it was interesting to watch. The guy's daughter was scared of Garnett... Garnett was trying to apologize... it was a mess. Not calling him a jerk or anything, just a memory from my basketball days

schillingfan

Jul 9, 2010
York, PA
Well it didn't take long for my guy to get mentioned. While he does come off as an ass to some, he is just downright brutally honest and some people don't like that.

The only player that I can't stand is A-Rod.

Members online

Latest posts