Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jon Gruden and The Miami Hurricanes - Me Likey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I know it's been thrown around already, but it's nice to see it in print.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... candidate/
Jon Gruden could be making a return to coaching — but not in the NFL.

In the 24 hours since the University of Miami fired head coach Randy Shannon, multiple stories have named Gruden as a strong candidate to take over the job.

According to the Sun Sentinel, Gruden initiated contact with the University of Miami to say he wants to be the school’s next coach, and the school told Gruden that the interest is mutual.

University of Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt says he wants to hire a coach who can make Miami “relevant” again, and Gruden, who won a Super Bowl as head coach of the Buccaneers and currently has a high profile as a Monday Night Football commentator, certainly qualifies. Hocutt also says money will not be an issue in the selection, that previous ties to the University of Miami aren’t a prerequisite for the job, and that head coaching experience is important.

Gruden hasn’t publicly expressed any desire to coach the Hurricanes, but it’s easy to see why a program that was once a national powerhouse would appeal to him. Miami has had some lean years and is just 7-5 in 2010, but the Hurricanes had five national championships and 14 seasons of double-digit victories from 1983 to 2003.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Wow, didn't see that one coming. He'd probably have them as a BCS staple within two years. And he (and his coaching brother) know Florida football.

Although he did express interest in coaching outside of the Pros, according to rumors and reports last summer.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Let's not forget he used Notre Dame rumors to let it be known he didn't want to coach the Raiders any more. This could be the same thing.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It's now being reported that the reports were untrue and he's not interested in the job.

Sorry CM.

But I still think Dallas would intrigue him, if they need a change.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Benson said:
Anything to get him off MNF, the way he just absolutely fawns over every player (especially QBs) is getting a bit old. He has some good insights and analysis at times, but needs to be spooning some of the guys he gushes over.
It's been speculated that he does this to keep himself in the good graces of as many people and teams as possible in the NFL for when he makes a return to coaching. I believe it.

Members online

Latest posts