Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone ever get asked to throw in free cards on ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I just sold a Pujols UD rookie to montourcardshop8zyp on Ebay. They paid immediately and sent me this message.

We won your 2001 Upper Deck Albert Pujols rC#295 for $29.50 shipping included. We just paid you IMMEDIATELY via (PayPal). Could you PLEASE "throw-in" some cheaper ALBERT PUJOLS cards for my (2) little grandchildren? Thank you, GRANDPA RON

I have some issues with this

1. I have had other ebayers do this same thing and then when I didn't provide "extras" they threatened to leave bad feedback.

2. I don't believe this to begin with as it is very evident based on his feedback that this guy owns a cardshop so why would he need to beg for Pujols cards for free ?

I sent him a message that I don't collect Pujols cards (this is true) and that I don't have any extras to send to him (this is also true).

I will update this in case this goes south, just seemed fishy and odd.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Yes, I have sold to this exact guy if my memory serves me correctly. I think it is a bunch of crap. THe dude is just trying to make some extra cash. If each person he buys from kicks in two free Pujols cards, he will probably rack up 1000-1500 a year. Straight cash in his pocket.

skrip

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I canceled a payment from someone similar (if not the same person) and submitted the request to eBay. I played the over-dramatic role (shocking right?) and stated that I felt that unless I complied with the request, feedback would not be as positive as it should be. Continuing with the buyer attempting to change the terms of the auctions after the fact.

Payment and auction canceled with ease. No feedback left.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
It seems like the message is auto generated script based on how it is worded and I bet every seller gets one from him.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
This guy has bought from me several times and I received the same request each time. I just ignored the message and sent his card. He won't hold your feedback hostage for the free cards. The story is bull though because every now and then he'll list a big lot of Pujols cards on ebay.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Jeff N. said:
I would take offense to another man signing his message, calling himself "Grandpa Ron" to me.

You're not my fricking grandpa.
It works to get the kids in his van after school.

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
He won some low end Jeter rookies off of me earlier this year and asked me to include some cheap Jeters for his grandkids. Like JVC said, he doesnt withhold feedback if you dont send anything extra along.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I think that has happened to me before and I just ignored it. Definitely reminds me of this encounter I had at a show as a seller (I posted this story a while ago and it still amazes me that it happened):

I've set up for a show a couple times and don't be this guy:

Guy came up to me with a 3 row box full of base cards and low-key inserts. The box looked like it had sat in a garage-leak for a week. After politely declining on buying any of his cards, he seemed irritated that I wouldn't and started flipping through all my star base/low insert cards that I had for 50 cents a piece (players like Pujols, Ichiro, Jeter, Howard, etc.)

He grabbed my remaining Pujols cards (violently I might add), started counting them on the table like they were playing cards. I asked him to be more careful, he just chuckled and said "yeah, sorry" After counting the Pujols cards (there were 20) he said how much for the entire lot?

I figured he wanted a deal so instead of the normal $10 I would've asked for I told him I could sell all 20 for $8 and he laughed then took like 5 cards out and said I can give you a $1 for these 5 ( just so happened he pull the 5 more premium brands of Pujols I had). I politely declined.

Then he asked, I kid you not: "Well can I just take these 2?"
I said: "Sure, that'll be $1"
He said: "No, can I just have them. You have tons of Pujols here"

Finally I lost all hope and didn't care about doing any business with this guy ever. So I just did my modest fake laugh and asked him to leave. He was literally mad, cussing at me, walking away.

Worst part was, he had his son standing next to him, looking extremely embarrassed wanting to get away.

Sorry for the long read but it was the most ridiculous experience I've ever had at a show.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
markakis8 said:
I think that has happened to me before and I just ignored it. Definitely reminds me of this encounter I had at a show as a seller (I posted this story a while ago and it still amazes me that it happened):

Guy came up to me with a 3 row box full of base cards and low-key inserts. The box looked like it had sat in a garage-leak for a week. After politely declining on buying any of his cards, he seemed irritated that I wouldn't and started flipping through all my star base/low insert cards that I had for 50 cents a piece (players like Pujols, Ichiro, Jeter, Howard, etc.)

He grabbed my remaining Pujols cards (violently I might add), started counting them on the table like they were playing cards. I asked him to be more careful, he just chuckled and said "yeah, sorry" After counting the Pujols cards (there were 20) he said how much for the entire lot?

I figured he wanted a deal so instead of the normal $10 I would've asked for I told him I could sell all 20 for $8 and he laughed then took like 5 cards out and said I can give you a $1 for these 5 ( just so happened he pull the 5 more premium brands of Pujols I had). I politely declined.

Finally I lost all hope and didn't care about doing any business with this guy ever. So I just did my modest fake laugh and asked him to leave. He was literally mad, cussing at me, walking away.

Worst part was, he had his son standing next to him, looking extremely embarrassed wanting to get away.

Sorry for the long read but it was the most ridiculous experience I've ever had at a show.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with humiliating a child in public...especially if that child is the father.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I think there was a thread on here about this not too long ago, so I guess it is becoming more common unfortunately. Good luck with everything.

markakis8 said:

Was the kid standing next to him Terry or Miggy? :shock:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember a similar thread on Beckett or somewhere. IIRC, the guy used to actually say he ran a card shop and could he have extra cards for his grandkids. I guess he eventually realized that sounded too stupid, so he's upgraded to merely stupid. If he ever asks me, I'll tell him I'm out of Pujols, but I'll send him some Esix Sneads or something, as true Cardinals fans would be happy.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
jhk said:
same here... but back in the day he asked me for Arod cards instead of Pujols... ::facepalm::

That guy is well known for doing that. And for years, too. hit me up for some Clemens - so you know how long ago that would have been. I just threw in the worst centered card I had and let it go.

Wes

OG
Administrator
markakis8 said:

I'm physically upset just thinking about this happening. The nerve.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
His phone number is on his ebay page. Someone should call them up and give him the same nonsense he peppers everyone else with. When and you know he will decline call him out on it.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
Yup, same buyer did the exact same thing to me around playoff time. Wanted 'cheap utley, howard, rollins cards for his grandson'. This kind of crap drives me insane. He did open an item not received case on me however. Due to he did not receive his cards in a time frame he considered appropriate. The cards were shipped 2 days after he paid, so whatever. I won the case however thanks to DC. (His PO held the package 4 days before they delivered it) Just a heads up on that one.

Members online

Latest posts