Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

College football best system to decide champ? (bb related)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
http://cfn.scout.com/2/829503.html

Why bother with the long, drawn out regular season of baseball? It should've been the Cubs vs. the Angels in the World Series after they each proved to have the best teams throughout the year. Of course, they each lost according to the gimmicky playoff system, and the sports world just accepts this as the norm. Try watching college basketball ... it's hard. I love the sport, but the games simply don't matter. They're all exhibition games until March Madness.

what you think?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
:lol: gimmicky, is that what people say when their team cant make it?

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
I'm tired of hearing about a playoff in college football. It is not going to happen any time soon...so why continue to beat a dead horse? College football is no longer a sport geared toward the fans and students, it is a business...pure and simple.

The NCAA is smart, very smart. Every few years they will make some small tweaks to the post/bowl season and utilize that as the basis to extract more money from the networks. One day, they will cash in and we will see a playoff....until then, there is way too much money at stake to directly make the changes necessary to arrive at a true champion.

I also disagree with this statement from the writer....

This year, the NFL proved once again that its regular season is completely and totally irrelevant with the No. 1 seeds getting bounced out in the first round by teams that shouldn't have been in the playoffs, if you count anything that happened in the regular season.

The playoff system simply awards the team with the better regular season record with a home game. However, the seeding process in the NFL (unlike NCAA basketball) does not imply the 1st seed is a better team than the 6th seed....schedules are not balanced and injuries along with other factors influence the level of play of the teams entering the post season.

To say the regular season is completely and totally irrelevant is short sighted....just ask the Pats about missing out on the playoffs despite an 11 win season.

What is irrelevant is this article and the basis for the writer's argument.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
I'm tired of hearing about a playoff in college football. It is not going to happen any time soon...so why continue to beat a dead horse? College football is no longer a sport geared toward the fans and students, it is a business...pure and simple.
are the NFL or MLB organized business ventures geared toward the fans or making money?

schools are education facilities that happen to makes mega millions (some of the schools) on football. it has been basically proven in baseball that more playoffs = more money. if what you say is true, why not have a playoff?

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
To say the regular season is completely and totally irrelevant is short sighted....just ask the Pats about missing out on the playoffs despite an 11 win season.
so the 11 win Pats don't get in but the 8 win Chargers do and this is right?

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
crowhop said:
it has been basically proven in baseball that more playoffs = more money. if what you say is true, why not have a playoff?

I addressed this already......

"The NCAA is smart, very smart. Every few years they will make some small tweaks to the post/bowl season and utilize that as the basis to extract more money from the networks. One day, they will cash in and we will see a playoff....until then, there is way too much money at stake to directly make the changes necessary to arrive at a true champion."

It has been discussed....the NCAA will take baby steps and raise the stakes looking more money along the way....we will most likely see a +1 system before a playoff system.....each tweak to the system along the way will come at a higher price to the networks.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
crowhop said:
muchuckwagon said:

Did I say that at all.....??

I have to question your reading and comprehension skills based on your two posts.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:
it has been basically proven in baseball that more playoffs = more money. if what you say is true, why not have a playoff?

"The NCAA is smart, very smart. Every few years they will make some small tweaks to the post/bowl season and utilize that as the basis to extract more money from the networks. One day, they will cash in and we will see a playoff....until then, there is way too much money at stake to directly make the changes necessary to arrive at a true champion."

It has been discussed....the NCAA will take baby steps and raise the stakes looking more money along the way....we will most likely see a +1 system before a playoff system.....each tweak to the system along the way will come at a higher price to the networks.
if a playoff makes the maximum money, why wait?

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:
muchuckwagon said:

Did I say that at all.....??

I have to question your reading and comprehension skills based on your two posts.
wow, you turned into a ****** real quick.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
crowhop said:
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:

Say the NCAA got a $1 from NBC to carry the bowl games pre-BCS. The BCS rolls along and ABC says they want that programing and pays $3 since the BCS offers a "true" national champion which more than the prior bowl structure had to offer.

As the contract with ABC expires, the NCAA enhances the product with a +1 system and CBS now has to base their offer on the $3 prior contract with a premium for the +1 game....they now pay $5.

That contract expires and a playoff system is introduced which is an even better product than the old bowl games, BCS or +1 system....and ESPN offers to pay $8.

It is unlikely that going directly from the old bowl format to a playoff would have seen a bump from $1 to $8.....slowly improving the product over time allows the NCAA to maximize their revenue potential. Many companies hold back upgrades to products from releases in order to charge more down the line for a new and improved version.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
crowhop said:

Sorry....I'm starting to run out of patience with people not taking the time to read posts and making responses without any thought behind them.

I thought I outlined why a playoff doesn't exist at this time and they you turned asked why not have a playoff. My post above spells it out....more clearly.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:

Sorry....I'm starting to run out of patience with people not taking the time to read posts and making responses without any thought behind them.

I thought I outlined why a playoff doesn't exist at this time and they you turned asked why not have a playoff. My post above spells it out....more clearly.
this statement...
...has nothing to do with a playoff or not. i think the Pats vs Chargers argument demonstrates the playoff structure isn't great, yet you used it to support your argument, as best i can tell. just doesn't make sense in light of everything else you posted. it seems contradictory. then you come at me with I have to question your reading and comprehension skills based on your two posts.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:
muchuckwagon said:
crowhop said:

Say the NCAA got a $1 from NBC to carry the bowl games pre-BCS. The BCS rolls along and ABC says they want that programing and pays $3 since the BCS offers a "true" national champion which more than the prior bowl structure had to offer.

As the contract with ABC expires, the NCAA enhances the product with a +1 system and CBS now has to base their offer on the $3 prior contract with a premium for the +1 game....they now pay $5.

That contract expires and a playoff system is introduced which is an even better product than the old bowl games, BCS or +1 system....and ESPN offers to pay $8.

It is unlikely that going directly from the old bowl format to a playoff would have seen a bump from $1 to $8.....slowly improving the product over time allows the NCAA to maximize their revenue potential. Many companies hold back upgrades to products from releases in order to charge more down the line for a new and improved version.
this is excellent.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think the NFL should be reseeded based on wins. IMO, my Colts(12-4) should have never played at San Diego(8-8) this year. To me, there is something wrong with that.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
i may or may not have a side on this, or any other issue for that matter, but since this is a discussion board and i like to discuss things, i brought his to the table. i know what i think about it and i brought this up to find out what you think about it. i ask leading questions (so the 11 win Pats don't get in but the 8 win Chargers do and this is right?) to draw out a response, not necessarily to make a particular point. so cut me some slack on the reading comprehension dig.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
IndyMann said:
I think the NFL should be reseeded based on wins. IMO, my Colts(12-4) should have never played at San Diego(8-8) this year. To me, there is something wrong with that.
to me these are the two things that really stand out as being wrong about a playoff system:
New England went unbeaten in the regular season last year, highlighted by a regular-season ending win at New York against a Giants team that came out with a maximum effort. That doesn't count, but that game a few weeks later did, even though the Giants hadn't even won their own division.
Pittsburgh already beat Baltimore twice, and now it has to do it a third time to prove it's the better team?!
either the regular season means something or it doesn't. right now, it doesn't at all.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
crowhop said:
Pittsburgh already beat Baltimore twice, and now it has to do it a third time to prove it's the better team?!

either the regular season means something or it doesn't. right now, it doesn't at all.

I think it does....first, Steelers had a first round bye....in my book that is big and gives meaning to the regular season....I'm sure any first round loser would have been much happier with a first round bye. Second, the game is in Pittsburgh this weekend....I think we would agree there is some advantage to home field.

As for the Pats and Broncos.....comparing records at face value is not fair with the unbalanced schedule. If we are going to talk records alone....then why distinguish between AFC and NFC playoff teams? Just let the teams with the best record into the playoffs....even if that means all AFC or NFC teams.

crowhop

Aug 8, 2008
Bedford Falls
muchuckwagon said:
comparing records at face value is not fair with the unbalanced schedule. If we are going to talk records alone....then why distinguish between AFC and NFC playoff teams? Just let the teams with the best record into the playoffs....even if that means all AFC or NFC teams.
i kinda like that idea. if you truly want to decide who is the best of the best, playoff the teams with the best record. take the top 6 teams in each conference and go from there.

as for baseball, do the same. if a division is weak, they shouldn't have a representative. what would the implications of such madness be?

Latest posts