Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Russell Martin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Word is that his agents are saying that the Yankees are telling him that they want him to be their starting catcher next year. This being reported by WFAN.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
D-Lite said:
I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.
Some people believe they are hyping up Montero to trade him as well. Bc from what I have heard he isnt even a servicable catcher. The Yankees need a catcher desperately, as in one who can catch. Especially now that Crawford is on the Sox.

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
I'd rather have a better bat than a catcher that's purpose is to be good against the red sox for crawford...

If thats what they are worrying about, get an extremely good catcher that cant hit for squat cheap off the market and have him catch against the sox w/ Monty or Posada DHing.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Yankees1218 said:
I'd rather have a better bat than a catcher that's purpose is to be good against the red sox for crawford...

If thats what they are worrying about, get an extremely good catcher that cant hit for squat cheap off the market and have him catch against the sox w/ Monty or Posada DHing.
They dont need one just for the Sox. Did you watch what Texas did to them on the bases in the playoffs. They need a catcher.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
Some people believe they are hyping up Montero to trade him as well. Bc from what I have heard he isnt even a servicable catcher. The Yankees need a catcher desperately, as in one who can catch. Especially now that Crawford is on the Sox.
I've heard it numerous times and each time I can't understand that. His numbers aren't fabricated. The dude has demolished the pitching at every level. As far as his ability to catch, sure, he won't ever set the world ablaze with a quick release and his footwork is questionable. But his numbers in the minors for CS aren't close to horrible and if he can even be adequate what's the problem? Piazza was hardly a spectacular catcher either. And all we need is one season of him and another backup, hopefully at which point Romine is ready to step in, that and eventually Sanchez. Hope, that is.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
D-Lite said:

Is Federowicz done? I dont follow the Red Sox system in detail, I just remember he had an 09 BC AU.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
ArtVandelay said:
D-Lite said:

Is Federowicz done? I dont follow the Red Sox system in detail, I just remember he had an 09 BC AU.
Not done, but further away than not. A+ ball

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
D-Lite said:
ArtVandelay said:
[quote="D-Lite":gnk6j1jj]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.

Not done, but further away than not. A+ ball[/quote:gnk6j1jj]

Saltedmacchiato is the answer to all of Boston's catching needs and if he proves not to be for some ridiculously strange reason then Cantretiretek is there to back him up. AND Canretiretek as a backup... well, I mean, any team would drool for this type of catching combo on their team.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":1jco6atn]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.
I've heard it numerous times and each time I can't understand that. His numbers aren't fabricated. The dude has demolished the pitching at every level. As far as his ability to catch, sure, he won't ever set the world ablaze with a quick release and his footwork is questionable. But his numbers in the minors for CS aren't close to horrible and if he can even be adequate what's the problem? Piazza was hardly a spectacular catcher either. And all we need is one season of him and another backup, hopefully at which point Romine is ready to step in, that and eventually Sanchez. Hope, that is.[/quote:1jco6atn]
And where is Montero gonna play wjen Romine is ready? And is throwing isnt the problem. His receiving is the big problem. I cant wait to see him catch AJ Burnett. That should be interesting.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":4rybi3uc]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.
I've heard it numerous times and each time I can't understand that. His numbers aren't fabricated. The dude has demolished the pitching at every level. As far as his ability to catch, sure, he won't ever set the world ablaze with a quick release and his footwork is questionable. But his numbers in the minors for CS aren't close to horrible and if he can even be adequate what's the problem? Piazza was hardly a spectacular catcher either. And all we need is one season of him and another backup, hopefully at which point Romine is ready to step in, that and eventually Sanchez. Hope, that is.
And where is Montero gonna play wjen Romine is ready? And is throwing isnt the problem. His receiving is the big problem. I cant wait to see him catch AJ Burnett. That should be interesting.[/quote:4rybi3uc]
DH. Posada is in the last year of his contract. Yes, you'd like DH available for A-Rod going forward, but not necessary yet. And throwing WAS part of the problem. They had to rework his approach to shorten his arm action on the release. I'm not saying Montero will be the next Bill Dickey here, but if he can be at least adequate behind the plate that's a win.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":2f745cqb]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.
And where is Montero gonna play wjen Romine is ready? And is throwing isnt the problem. His receiving is the big problem. I cant wait to see him catch AJ Burnett. That should be interesting.[/quote:2f745cqb]

When are you going to realize Montero>>>>>Romine?

It doesn't really matter if Romine is a better defensive catcher. I just don't understand you when it comes to Romine. Shoot, I have a stash of his BC autos, but I don't really expect him to ever catch for the Yanks. I say he is traded. Montero, though, I believe will be a Yankee for a while.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
hail2thevictors said:
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":2n7vwi2a]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.
And where is Montero gonna play wjen Romine is ready? And is throwing isnt the problem. His receiving is the big problem. I cant wait to see him catch AJ Burnett. That should be interesting.

It doesn't really matter if Romine is a better defensive catcher. I just don't understand you when it comes to Romine. Shoot, I have a stash of his BC autos, but I don't really expect him to ever catch for the Yanks. I say he is traded. Montero, though, I believe will be a Yankee for a while.[/quote:2n7vwi2a]
It does matter that Romine is a better catcher than him. Not only to me, but to the Yankees. Everything that they have done thus far has indicated that he is thier future catcher. Also according to the scouts and coaches I have talked to who have seen them both play, have told me that he is the future catcher for the Yankees. They have said that there is no way that Montero can catch in the big leagues. Everybody brings up Piaaza when talking about Montero. Piazza was not a good catcher, and from what I have heard is that Montero is a worse catcher than Piazza. The Yankees already tried to trade Montero and Seattle didnt want him. If Montero was on a team that wasnt in contention every year, than yes, I would say he had a chance to catch. However, the Yankees are World Series contenders every year. They do not have the luxury to experiment with catchers. One thing that they are sorely lacking is a catcher. If you watched them at all last year, this was abundantly clear. Any time they played an athletic team, that team took advantage of them on the base paths. You cant turn a walk or a single into a double and expet to win close games. I dont have any Romine cards, so I am not basing it on prospecting his cards.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
heres what i think the yankees should do. They should sign martin, sign lee and trade nova and someone else to the rays for garza. there rotation would be lee sabathia hughes garza and burnett. that would help them compete against the redsox 10x better

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
colts1888 said:
heres what i think the yankees should do. They should sign martin, sign lee and trade nova and someone else to the rays for garza. there rotation would be lee sabathia hughes garza and burnett. that would help them compete against the redsox 10x better

The Rays would not trade Garza to the Yankees for a good package never mind a package centered around Nova.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
elmalo said:
hail2thevictors said:
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":20j55wbn]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.

It doesn't really matter if Romine is a better defensive catcher. I just don't understand you when it comes to Romine. Shoot, I have a stash of his BC autos, but I don't really expect him to ever catch for the Yanks. I say he is traded. Montero, though, I believe will be a Yankee for a while.
It does matter that Romine is a better catcher than him. Not only to me, but to the Yankees. Everything that they have done thus far has indicated that he is thier future catcher. Also according to the scouts and coaches I have talked to who have seen them both play, have told me that he is the future catcher for the Yankees. They have said that there is no way that Montero can catch in the big leagues. Everybody brings up Piaaza when talking about Montero. Piazza was not a good catcher, and from what I have heard is that Montero is a worse catcher than Piazza. The Yankees already tried to trade Montero and Seattle didnt want him. If Montero was on a team that wasnt in contention every year, than yes, I would say he had a chance to catch. However, the Yankees are World Series contenders every year. They do not have the luxury to experiment with catchers. One thing that they are sorely lacking is a catcher. If you watched them at all last year, this was abundantly clear. Any time they played an athletic team, that team took advantage of them on the base paths. You cant turn a walk or a single into a double and expet to win close games. I dont have any Romine cards, so I am not basing it on prospecting his cards.[/quote:20j55wbn]

You do realize that the only reason the Seattle trade did not go through was because Seattle had questions about the last bit of the trade. 2B/SS David Adams was hurt. You really believe Seattle did not want Montero eh? You are tripping. Romine is a good player, but he needs more AB's in AA before we can even consider him in the mix. Piazza was not a good catcher, but did he have a star career? You bet your ass. If Montero turned into another Piazza, I would be happy. You see, it is about your offense in Baseball. If it was about defense they wouldn't even be considering Montero, and Cervelli would be your catcher. Montero is the future in New York, because they said no to the Phillies when it was Roy time. The Yankees do not want to give up this kid and it would be completely foolish for him to be trade for Russ Martin of all people. The guy had what, 8 HR's last year and he was injured? That is not a Brian Cashman like move by nay means.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
he rays look to be having a firesale if trhey could get a beter deal from the yankees then the cubs i think theyll make hte move

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
colts1888 said:
he rays look to be having a firesale if trhey could get a beter deal from the yankees then the cubs i think theyll make hte move

I have no doubt that the Rays would move Garza, but not to New York. AL East teams do not trade #2 caliber pitchers to each other. Think of the Johan Santana trade: the Twins were willing to trade Johan to the Yanks or Sox but required 2-3x the package that they ended up with from the Mets in order to do so. This would be a similar situation. The Rays would say sure, we will trade you Garza but we want Montero, Banuelos, and Sanchez.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
jbone17 said:
elmalo said:
hail2thevictors said:
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
[quote="elmalo":boaq4dwb][quote="D-Lite":boaq4dwb]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.

It does matter that Romine is a better catcher than him. Not only to me, but to the Yankees. Everything that they have done thus far has indicated that he is thier future catcher. Also according to the scouts and coaches I have talked to who have seen them both play, have told me that he is the future catcher for the Yankees. They have said that there is no way that Montero can catch in the big leagues. Everybody brings up Piaaza when talking about Montero. Piazza was not a good catcher, and from what I have heard is that Montero is a worse catcher than Piazza. The Yankees already tried to trade Montero and Seattle didnt want him. If Montero was on a team that wasnt in contention every year, than yes, I would say he had a chance to catch. However, the Yankees are World Series contenders every year. They do not have the luxury to experiment with catchers. One thing that they are sorely lacking is a catcher. If you watched them at all last year, this was abundantly clear. Any time they played an athletic team, that team took advantage of them on the base paths. You cant turn a walk or a single into a double and expet to win close games. I dont have any Romine cards, so I am not basing it on prospecting his cards.[/quote:boaq4dwb]

You do realize that the only reason the Seattle trade did not go through was because Seattle had questions about the last bit of the trade. 2B/SS David Adams was hurt. You really believe Seattle did not want Montero eh? You are tripping. Romine is a good player, but he needs more AB's in AA before we can even consider him in the mix. Piazza was not a good catcher, but did he have a star career? You bet your ass. If Montero turned into another Piazza, I would be happy. You see, it is about your offense in Baseball. If it was about defense they wouldn't even be considering Montero, and Cervelli would be your catcher. Montero is the future in New York, because they said no to the Phillies when it was Roy time. The Yankees do not want to give up this kid and it would be completely foolish for him to be trade for Russ Martin of all people. The guy had what, 8 HR's last year and he was injured? That is not a Brian Cashman like move by nay means.[/quote:boaq4dwb]
Martin is a free agent.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
elmalo said:
hail2thevictors said:
elmalo said:
D-Lite said:
elmalo said:
[quote="D-Lite":3w53ta9i]I have to think the Yankees are just jacking up the price for the Red Sox. Sure Posada isn't going to play a serviceable C this season, sure Montero is unproven and at best a serviceable C, sure Romine is two steps away. But even a year of Martin is no better than Montero and Romine with Posada DH'ing. The injury and drop in production make this a move that makes little sense considering in house options.

It does matter that Romine is a better catcher than him. Not only to me, but to the Yankees. Everything that they have done thus far has indicated that he is thier future catcher. Also according to the scouts and coaches I have talked to who have seen them both play, have told me that he is the future catcher for the Yankees. They have said that there is no way that Montero can catch in the big leagues. Everybody brings up Piaaza when talking about Montero. Piazza was not a good catcher, and from what I have heard is that Montero is a worse catcher than Piazza. The Yankees already tried to trade Montero and Seattle didnt want him. If Montero was on a team that wasnt in contention every year, than yes, I would say he had a chance to catch. However, the Yankees are World Series contenders every year. They do not have the luxury to experiment with catchers. One thing that they are sorely lacking is a catcher. If you watched them at all last year, this was abundantly clear. Any time they played an athletic team, that team took advantage of them on the base paths. You cant turn a walk or a single into a double and expet to win close games. I dont have any Romine cards, so I am not basing it on prospecting his cards.[/quote:3w53ta9i]

Why do you have this infatuation with Austin Romine? Your talking about him like he is lightyears ahead of Montero, when the reality is, he is definately not. It's fantastic that you've talked to scouts claiming Romine is the catcher of the future, but there are other people who talk to scouts who think otherwise:

Kev (NYC)
Is Montero is an A+ bat, how high do you rate Romine's fielding ability?

Klaw (1:19 PM)
Romine can't catch - as in, he struggles very badly to receive the ball. Plus arm, but I'm not sure how you get from where he is now to acceptable major-league receiver.

You know what else is interesting, both of these guys had the same throwout percentage this past season, 23% (Montero's was something like 28% in the second half). Romine allowed 85 stolen bases in 99 games, while Montero allowed 99 stolen bases in 105 games. That doesn't seem like a vast difference to justify putting the minor leagues best hitter on the bench behind someone who may be 10 points higher on the 20-80 scale as a catcher.

If Romine were Yadier Molina, you might be on to something, but he's not.

Latest posts