Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has anyone here done a 2011 mock draft yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Please point me to the thread if possible, but if not, anyone got one.

See right now, I'm just matching up Top 50 player lists with the draft order. It works well if you know the team (my Brewers) and know the team's needs, but if a team ahead of them has a need I don't know about and wrecks the ranking order, I might as well be guessing.

It's fun when your team has 2 picks in the top 10 (AZ) or even top 15 (MIL), but you don't want to get too in love with an idea if you have no idea that something is afoot earlier in the drafting order.

Thoughts?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
Please point me to the thread if possible, but if not, anyone got one.

See right now, I'm just matching up Top 50 player lists with the draft order. It works well if you know the team (my Brewers) and know the team's needs, but if a team ahead of them has a need I don't know about and wrecks the ranking order, I might as well be guessing.

It's fun when your team has 2 picks in the top 10 (AZ) or even top 15 (MIL), but you don't want to get too in love with an idea if you have no idea that something is afoot earlier in the drafting order.

Thoughts?

Still really early for it since College just started up 2 days ago.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
beefycheddar said:
shayscards79 said:
One thing is for sure, Matt Purke will be the first pitcher taken.

Yeah, don't think that can really be argued.

The hype is already pretty high on him. I sold an 08 UD USA gu/green ink auto /10 of his for $60 a couple of months ago. I'm starting to wonder if I should have kept it longer.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
aarne13 said:
Keith Law had a Top 50 not too long ago.

Yeah, I was simply bouncing his list off of the draft order.

But as Law is apt to do, he dings people for the sake of being different. For example, he has Jackie Bradley Jr. at 15. I would LOVE for him to fall to Milwaukee, but yeah right...

The top 5-7 are pretty easy to figure, but it gets trickey after that.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
shayscards79 said:
beefycheddar said:
shayscards79 said:

The hype is already pretty high on him. I sold an 08 UD USA gu/green ink auto /10 of his for $60 a couple of months ago. I'm starting to wonder if I should have kept it longer.

I think he has the most potential to blow up price wise soon. I would have bought that card for 60 in a second.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
NECpilgrims8 said:
beefycheddar said:
shayscards79 said:

It can absolutely be argued.....

....as long as THIS keeps happening.

Now the question is... if he signed with the Yankees in 2007, how far would he be from pitching in the bigs next season?

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
vwnut13 said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
beefycheddar said:
shayscards79 said:

It can absolutely be argued.....

....as long as THIS keeps happening.

Now the question is... if he signed with the Yankees in 2007, how far would he be from pitching in the bigs next season?

It's entirely too hard to quantify, given the amount he has developed by being at UCLA. He might not have made those adjustments going right to pro ball.

Based on a typical time table for top pitching draft picks of his caliber, coming out of HS, I would say a safe barometer would have been 2010/2011. So, 3-4 years in the minors.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I would not be so sure Purke is the first pitcher taken. He is a draft eligible sophomore so he has plenty of leverage. His asking price won't be any cheaper than what it was for the Rangers two years ago. I can see somebody passing on him due to bonus demands. Law and Churchill wrote the other day that Sonny Gray might go higher than expected due to perceived lower signing cost.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Should I start my annual draft contest a few months ahead of schedule this time? Seeing as how several of you are already having draft fever and all. :cool:

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Not necessarily accurate, but it's a nice little guide: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2011

I find it humorous I drafted Purke in my fantasy baseball keeper league in 2009 before he was taken by Texas and went un-signed. He's still on my roster and I can have him cheap for a long time anyway if he's drafted this year and actually signs this time.

Members online

Latest posts