Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question regarding 2011 Bowman Hobby vs Jumbo? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Aside from the obvious reasons (3 autos vs 1 auto, more prospects, more inserts), why would someone pick Hobby over Jumbo? Honestly, I'm still just trying to understand the purpose of having a jumbo and hobby line in the first place.

I was thinking about ordering some cards, and this just makes the decision process a little more confusing. Just from a pure "bang for buck" analysis, it make 0 sense to buy a hobby box of anything when they offer a jumbo.

BUT, the trick here is the pack odds and collation. Theoretically, all of the good cards could be in the Hobby boxes while all of the duds are in the Jumbo. Not saying that's statistically possible, but still...who knows? Especially with 2011 base having some interesting pack odds, it just makes this more complex. Out of 2 cases of base, I wasn't able to complete 1 master set. My 2010 Topps Update produced 2 master sets and 1 near master set (missing 1-2 cards).

Last year, I bought 1 case of 2010 Topps Update Jumbo and 1 case of Hobby. My jumbo case, produced the stated odds of autos and relics. It also produced roughly 1 base set per box. But that was about it. The Hobby, on the other hand, produced less autos, but I did pull a Buster Posey from that case.

Anyway, it got me thinking...maybe I should go with the obvious choice here. So I wanted to see what your experience has been in the past years. Hobby vs Jumbo? Chime in.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Jumbos are an incentive for hobby stores and distributors to purchase the basic Bowman product. Generally, a hobby store will be forced to purchase Y number of jumbo boxes it must purchase Y times 2 or 3 regular hobby cases.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
My past experience with Bowman jumbos is that not all 3of your autos are chrome autos. And in the hobby many times you greater than one auto per box. I have always bought hobby instead of jumbos for bowman

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
bdal23 said:
My past experience with Bowman jumbos is that not all 3of your autos are chrome autos. And in the hobby many times you greater than one auto per box. I have always bought hobby instead of jumbos for bowman

See, this is what I was thinking too. After opening BDP and BC, I was a little thrown off by the number of autos and hits I pulled. Although I have seen some bad breaks, my breaks were on the higher side of the odds.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
sportscardfanatic said:
bdal23 said:

See, this is what I was thinking too. After opening BDP and BC, I was a little thrown off by the number of autos and hits I pulled. Although I have seen some bad breaks, my breaks were on the higher side of the odds.
That might have been the case before 2010, but as of last year all autos(except for the Strasburg) were chrome. Like I said you get more color parallels(red, orange, gold, etc.) over all in jumbos. To each their own but the jumbos are the smarter buy.

Members online

Latest posts