Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Heritage ebay issue - this is a new one to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hey all,

So I offered up the following BIN/BO listing on ebay [ebay:190ty6f7] 220767395844[/ebay:190ty6f7] and I accepted a buyer's offer. For those who didn't want to click the link, here is how the description of the lot read:

You are bidding on a Lot of (11) 2011 Topps Heritage SP Lot! This lot includes the following short-printed cards:

Jhonny Peralta Chrome #1347/1962
Todd Helton SP #190
Pedro Alvarez SP RC #277
Ryan Zimmerman SP #392
Magglio Ordonez SP #462
Ricky Romero SP #440
Kevin Gregg SP #442
Shin-Soo Choo SP #447
David Eckstein SP #484
Robin Roberts Baseball Flashbacks #BF-4
Frank Robinson Baseball Flashbacks #BF-9

I shipped the day of payment and the buyer has received 2 days after paying. However, when I got home from work, I was greeted with this message:

Hi,

Since you have good feedback, I will give you the opportunity to fix this.

You listed 11 SP cards for the lot I purchased.
I received my packaged and found out that 3 of the cards are not Sps.
How would you like to resolve this?

Given the information I had to work with, each of these cards were SP's. Even if three of them weren't, as the buyer is now claiming, I listed each specific card that the winner would be receiving in the description. Doesn't the responsibility fall on the buyer to verify my claims? I delivered on my end - I shipped him every card I said that I would - but NOW after he's purchased and received the cards he's going to take issue with the lot description itself?

What's the move here?

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Re: 2011 Heritage ebay issue - what's my move?

Tell him to send them back and refund his money. Block bidder and move on.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

SamHell said:

Yeah I mean I guess it's a safe bet that that's what I'll end up doing but it just seems like such garbage that this would be a problem. Don't get me wrong, I never intended to misrepresent anything as an SP, but with that being said, wouldn't it make sense to do your fact checking BEFORE you actually offer to buy a lot?

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas

JEA2880 said:
SamHell said:

Yeah I mean I guess it's a safe bet that that's what I'll end up doing but it just seems like such garbage that this would be a problem. Don't get me wrong, I never intended to misrepresent anything as an SP, but with that being said, wouldn't it make sense to do your fact checking BEFORE you actually offer to buy a lot?

Technically its 8 SP's, 2 inserts and a parallel so he is right he did not receive 11 SP's. You described all the cards correctly in the auction but I think he's just fishing for a partial refund. I don't like playing that game with people. You aren't happy? Fine send them back and I'll refund your money.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!

JEA2880 said:
SamHell said:

"Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing." appears at the top of every auction description. In this case, you made a mistake if 3 of the cards are listed as SP's, when they aren't. Your intent has nothing to do with it as far as Ebay and the buyer is concerned. You are at fault for an inaccurate desc. The buyer may have been silly not to research the SP list before making an offer, but you certainly can't dump the blame all on him.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

SamHell said:
JEA2880 said:
SamHell said:

Technically its 8 SP's, 2 inserts and a parallel so he is right he did not receive 11 SP's. You described all the cards correctly in the auction but I think he's just fishing for a partial refund. I don't like playing that game with people. You aren't happy? Fine send them back and I'll refund your money.

If he's arguing that the 2 inserts and 1 Chrome parallel aren't the SP's then I have a real problem with that. I figured that I had a bad list of which were SP's and 3 of the cards I listed as SP's were actually commons. If the former is the case, I'll be really irked by this guy and will definitely post his ID for all to block.

G

What people do over $10 is disgusting. The unwashed masses of this country working at Arby's. Get Chris Levy money. Then play the game.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209

heh - the chrome is more of a SP than the actual SPs. Unfortunately, if this was escalated to a SNAD claim, you'd lose the case. Do what the others suggested - offer him a refund and move on. The buyer got an semi-steal IMO and still wants to be an ass - he knew as well as anyone else that does Heritage that only five of the cards were actual SPs.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008

I think you are both wrong in this instance. You didn't list the lot correctly (I knew what the buyer would be complaining about as soon as I read the description), and he's fishing for a refund for something stupid.

You should have listed the auction differently, and the buyer should stop being an a-hole over a buck or two. How you handle it from here is up to you.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

I still maintain that this is a stupid precedent. How many times do you see older cards that show a clear image listed with the wrong year, mislabeled, player's names spelled wrong? Does this mean that if I'm dumb enough to buy a 95 SP Derek Jeter for $20 when there is a clear picture and description of a 95 SP Jeter and I later find out that his real RC is the 93, I'm entitled to a refund? I would NEVER request anything from the seller in that instance.

Maybe, as a buyer, I'm too easier to work with... ::facepalm::

He E-mailed me back and I obviously have no problem refunding his money - I'm not about to let a few bucks ruin my reputation on ebay - but the real reason for the thread was that to me it was an unprecedented issue that I had never had. I'd say a good 30-50% of ebay listings are crap. This tells me less information = better.

For the record, the issue ended up being over the 3 cards that were card #'s 190, 277 and 392. By definition, inserts and serial numbered cards ARE short printed. Here's where I got the SP list from: http://www.toppsarchives.com/blog/topps ... rint-list/

TenaciousJDD

JEA2880 said:
For the record, the issue ended up being over the 3 cards that were card #'s 190, 277 and 392. By definition, inserts and serial numbered cards ARE short printed. Here's where I got the SP list from: http://www.toppsarchives.com/blog/topps ... rint-list/

These were the three cards I thought there would be issue with, especially the Zimmerman #392. The Zimmerman card by itself is not a short print, but there is a super short printed variation of the card. The variation is on the back of the card so a photo or scan of the front wouldn't be very helpful. Here is a thread that takes the headache out of trying to figure out if what you have is something special: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=127942

The buyer is upset because I bet he thought he had found a huge steal if the listing was correct. The last Zimmerman SSP sold for $175.

I realize we're talking about only $10 here for a pretty good size lot, but I think the buyer does have a gripe because the card was listed as a SP when the base card was likely sent. If it was me who had bought the lot I would simply chalk it up as a small stakes gamble (that the SSP was truly the card being sent) that I had lost and move on, but I can see why someone else would want a refund. It's a d-bag thing to do, but I can see where he is coming from.

Members online

Latest posts